Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 116 of 135123 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:30 pm 

Welcome to the Acaeum!  You are going to learn about all kinds of things you didn't know you wanted!   8O

Mister Yuk wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:and whatever happened to Trampier and please, please, please I hope he finally relented and finished Wormy for us. Rest In Peace, David.

Here's much of what we know of Trampier:

Re: The Death of Dave Trampier, RIP

Re: Just heard a rumour about Dave Trampier

Mister Yuk wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: I had never owned any Minis before, I'd just borrow one off of someone else when I played, been a lot of fun picking up those old Grenadier Box Sets. I also thought it'd be fun to collect Judge's Guild, local hero type of thing, plus I think some of their stuff is just freakin' cool.

I think most people on these forums do not collect minis, but I do.  Here's a link to my collection and my adventures with getting them all painted:

Dragonsfoot • View topic - My Latest Batch of Minis

These old 25mm minis are indeed cool, and evoke many good memories for me.  But, if you are just getting started and want a minis collection you can actually use (as opposed to just look at) you may want to consider the "Bones" line of minis produced by Reaper.  They require no priming, are reasonably priced and, most important, difficult to damage.  These Reaper minis are 28mm instead of 25mm.  You collect what you want.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:56 am 

Welcome Jeff!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:38 pm 

Thank you MadCatUSA and benjoshua for your welcome.

benjoshua - I followed Tramp on and off, so definitely knew about the 1st link. Wasn't aware of the 2nd. Carbondale isn't far from me and a guy I work for sometimes lives not even 5 minutes away, so a little trip is definitely in order.

Great job on the minis. Love looking at the painted ones and reading the discussion with it (fav is the White Dragon and your Dungeon Nasties - slimes oozes, etc) Personally I'd like to keep mine unpainted, my cousin is a Pro Mini painter though if I change my mind someday.

I'll keep in mind your Reaper recommend, I've seen them - they are definitely cool.

Thanks for taking the time to write guys.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm 

Hey all - as a youngster I collected just about everything (comics, cards, toys, books...), but when I put my stuff in storage during college the unit was broken into and most of the good stuff was taken.  It was like a collector knew what they were looking for;  I have some ideas on who broke in.  Anywho, I spent several years trying to recreate my collections and just lost interest.  This was in the mid-90's when the comic/card industry went to crap IMHO.  Fast forward 15 years, a wife, and 3 kids and it's time for daddy to find a hobby.

I've tried getting back into several of my old hobbies, but none has stuck.  I tried "grown up" hobbies like map collecting and chess and while I do enjoy them, they don't incite a passion.  Then one day wifey and I were watching the Netflix series 'Stranger Things' and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Those kids were us when we were young and watching them play D&D really hit home.  I've very slowly started collecting D&D and truly enjoy it.  I got my first eBay purchase (a basic set, 8th print I think) a few weeks ago.  It is in horrible shape, but flipping through the rule book took me right back to the table with my childhood friends in the early 80's as we adventured through the Borderlands.  I think this hobby is here to stay.

On a side note - none of my old D&D stuff was stolen.  However, about 15 years ago a buddy mentioned he was getting back into playing D&D.  I remembered I had a couple of boxes of stuff and told him he could have it (UGH).  I reached out to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd sold the stuff (double UGH).  I had dozens of guides, modules, and Dragon magazines from the late 70's and early 80's...oh well.  C'est la vie.

I look forward to learning more and getting to know many of you here!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm 

Mick wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hey all - as a youngster I collected just about everything (comics, cards, toys, books...), but when I put my stuff in storage during college the unit was broken into and most of the good stuff was taken.  It was like a collector knew what they were looking for;  I have some ideas on who broke in.  Anywho, I spent several years trying to recreate my collections and just lost interest.  This was in the mid-90's when the comic/card industry went to crap IMHO.  Fast forward 15 years, a wife, and 3 kids and it's time for daddy to find a hobby.

I've tried getting back into several of my old hobbies, but none has stuck.  I tried "grown up" hobbies like map collecting and chess and while I do enjoy them, they don't incite a passion.  Then one day wifey and I were watching the Netflix series 'Stranger Things' and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Those kids were us when we were young and watching them play D&D really hit home.  I've very slowly started collecting D&D and truly enjoy it.  I got my first eBay purchase (a basic set, 8th print I think) a few weeks ago.  It is in horrible shape, but flipping through the rule book took me right back to the table with my childhood friends in the early 80's as we adventured through the Borderlands.  I think this hobby is here to stay.

On a side note - none of my old D&D stuff was stolen.  However, about 15 years ago a buddy mentioned he was getting back into playing D&D.  I remembered I had a couple of boxes of stuff and told him he could have it (UGH).  I reached out to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd sold the stuff (double UGH).  I had dozens of guides, modules, and Dragon magazines from the late 70's and early 80's...oh well.  C'est la vie.

Welcome Mick!  This is the best site to encourage and inform your collecting.  You are in an exciting phase of collection as many collectors find the chase more exciting than the capture, but take your time and be patient in your acquisitions.  Many of us have bought something only to find it wasn't as good as we thought content-wise or condition-wise.  One of the lessons I personally learned was that larger lots of items often made the overall price of items cheaper.  I have bought several large lots and sold off items I didn't want individually.  It's a little more work, but it saved me a lot of money.  I wish you the best in your collecting.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:41 am 

Hi Mick and welcome. I agree - lots are definitely fun to get.
You usually have to sort through tons of useless crap only to unearth a little hidden gem, but I mean - it is so D&D-ish "treasure trove".

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am 

Mick wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hey all - as a youngster I collected just about everything (comics, cards, toys, books...), but when I put my stuff in storage during college the unit was broken into and most of the good stuff was taken.  It was like a collector knew what they were looking for;  I have some ideas on who broke in.  Anywho, I spent several years trying to recreate my collections and just lost interest.  This was in the mid-90's when the comic/card industry went to crap IMHO.  Fast forward 15 years, a wife, and 3 kids and it's time for daddy to find a hobby.

Story sounds familiar! I sold my collection in the early '90's (wife, new child, needed cash quick for bills...) Now I've been slowly rebuilding my collection again and participating where I can in the hobby. I don't have the focus (ADD) to write modules (started one, abandoned it after the RPGA went bust) so I contribute by research. Best advice I can give is to participate in the discussions. You get a lot in return from everyone here and I'm grateful for this community.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:47 am 

Mick wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I look forward to learning more and getting to know many of you here!

Welcome to forum Mick! I think there's a couple other collectors on here in AL btw

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

Welcome!

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm 

Hi Mick and welcome to The Acaeum! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 am 

Welcome Mick, good to see another getting back into this stuff after many years. I have for a couple of months now - it's been a lot of fun, and I hope the same for you.

Mick wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:On a side note - none of my old D&D stuff was stolen.  However, about 15 years ago a buddy mentioned he was getting back into playing D&D.  I remembered I had a couple of boxes of stuff and told him he could have it (UGH).  I reached out to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd sold the stuff (double UGH).  I had dozens of guides, modules, and Dragon magazines from the late 70's and early 80's...oh well.  C'est la vie

I had a similar thing in that I lent-gave my dice away long ago and now I just have to try to find some of them - not real easy when you're relying on memories from 30 years ago ;)

Good luck!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm 

Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm 

Tully305 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Welcome!  This is a great place to find about all kinds of stuff you didn't even know you wanted!   :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm 

Tully305 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Welcome to the Acaeum, Tully305 :)!

These were the guidelines I was given when I was new here, and now I'll pass them along to you  ;) -
(1) no bright light for Acaeum members,
(2) don't get Acaeum members wet, and ...
(3) never feed Acaeum members after midnight, no matter how much they beg :)

Happy Gaming!
-Skull

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:58 pm 

Welcome aboard Geoff!

Last edited by Mister Yuk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 am 

Hello all.  I'm not exactly new, but I've been hibernating for a while.  I think the last I was really active was around 2006/2007.  Still remember Killjoy doing that crazy marathon stuff.

Anyways after running a 1E campaign for my sons and friends sons before they all shipped out to college, and after just moving into a new house where I unpacked all of my collection into a new office, I'm feeling the urge to really get my things in order again.  I like what has been done with 5E and that is also stoking the fires to enjoy the good old stuff again.

So, I guess I'm back and hopefully I'll not give my life savings away to the folks who happen to have what I'm missing. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am 

Welcome Geoff!
There are a lot of great resources here. I wouldn't worry about your wallet, you can often find some amazing deals by looking not only at eBay, but the Facebook RPG auction groups. If you search Facebook for RPG Auction, you should be able to join them. Good luck and have fun!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 am 

Hello!

AD&D played a brief but fond role in my life from ~1979-1983.  Some of the clearest memories from my formative years are of sneaking around in Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and immediately losing my favorite character in Tomb of Horrors.  I spent many hours happily browsing through the Monster Manual and Deities & Demigods.  The endless charts and numbers in DMG and PH were quite fun.

Alas, 1983 was a tough year to be a child gamer with parents who watched news and followed current events.....so I had to move on to Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Heinlen, and Piers Anthony.  (I was pretty sure I could pass the gom jabbar the same summer all my AD&D stuff was taken away)

I haven't played in 35 years and I'm not really a collector, but I'm now trying to obtain nice copies of the modules and books that gave me past joy.  

I'm also interested in the original art, but it's wickedly difficult to find.

Patch

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 116 of 135123 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 133134135