Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 113 of 135123 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 pm 

Well, it looks like I am back for a bit o time.

Sadly selling of rest of collection but might just start in on reselling on ebay again

Will see how it goes over the next few months but I have definitely gotten the bug bite again  :thumright:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 pm 

Welcome Back!

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:49 pm 

Whew... Where to start? Started playing in the early 1980's, sold all my stuff when my son was first born because, well... We were broke and I needed the money. I've been actively *collecting* since the mid-late 90's, played 3.5e for a while starting in the late 90's until 4e came out. Stomped off in a huff when everything went to 4e because I wasn't about to buy all those damn books again, but have never stopped collecting 1st Edition through 3.5e stuff. Currently have a lot of what I call "ephemera"; loose maps, booklets, etc. Things I've picked up from local used book stores because they didn't know what they had. I've put together a spreadsheet with my appraisal standards and methods for identifying various print runs of AD&D books, but I see many others have done much better than mine.  8O
Hope to interact with other nut jobs like myself who have devoted themselves to preserving some really great material.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:24 pm 

Welcome!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:32 pm 

Welcome to the nut factory, MadCatUSA!

This place is a wonderful rest stop on the lifelong RPG collecting and learning highway.  In fact, I stop by every day.  Enjoy the information and your time here!

~throwi

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:02 am 

Hello everyone! It's my very distinct pleasure to join your community!
I've been playing since age 11 in '87, and now that I've turned the corner at age 40, serious TSR collecting has become an interest. I've lurked for a long time, as I have a fairly substantial collection from my 30 years of gaming, but most of my items have been well-loved and used for actual playing.

Last year (2015), I wandered out of curiosity into the auction room at Gen Con, where Frank Mentzer was holding court. I was instantly mesmerized, and proceeded to spend hours there every day of the con, forfeiting a number of events in favor of bidding. I can't say I walked away with anything truly valuable, but I snagged a beat-up copy of the BECMI Companion Set that Frank was kind enough to sign for me. I know Frank is open and friendly with all his fans, but I have never been more star-struck than when I was able to shake his hand and tell him how much his sets meant to me as a young kid.

The collectors at Gen Con all seemed like a great group of folks, and I assume many of those in that room are regulars here as well. I look forward to interacting with all of you, and to plumb your collective expertise on all things TSR!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 am 

Brittonica wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello everyone! It's my very distinct pleasure to join your community!
I've been playing since age 11 in '87, and now that I've turned the corner at age 40, serious TSR collecting has become an interest. I've lurked for a long time, as I have a fairly substantial collection from my 30 years of gaming, but most of my items have been well-loved and used for actual playing.

Last year (2015), I wandered out of curiosity into the auction room at Gen Con, where Frank Mentzer was holding court. I was instantly mesmerized, and proceeded to spend hours there every day of the con, forfeiting a number of events in favor of bidding. I can't say I walked away with anything truly valuable, but I snagged a beat-up copy of the BECMI Companion Set that Frank was kind enough to sign for me. I know Frank is open and friendly with all his fans, but I have never been more star-struck than when I was able to shake his hand and tell him how much his sets meant to me as a young kid.

The collectors at Gen Con all seemed like a great group of folks, and I assume many of those in that room are regulars here as well. I look forward to interacting with all of you, and to plumb your collective expertise on all things TSR!

Welcome, Brittonica!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:19 pm 

Welcome!!

And I agree with your assessment of Mr. Mentzer. A wonderful gentleman and the limited amount that I've been around him, he has always been great to fans of the game.

Carpe DM!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hi everyone,

Short-time reader, first-time poster, amateur collector. :)  But otherwise, your average RPGer from the late 70s, dabbled in freelancing, convention organizing, etc. but now mainly attending and hanging out at auctions (especially Gen Con, always fond of Mr. Mentzer's crew and fond memories of Twinkies tossed about back in the Atlanticon/Origins days). Collecting-wise just looking for some D&D related (CDM 1/2) and some not (Harn, Kobold Press, Runebound).

Regards,
Andrew

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 pm 

Old Man wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi everyone,

Short-time reader, first-time poster, amateur collector. :)  But otherwise, your average RPGer from the late 70s, dabbled in freelancing, convention organizing, etc. but now mainly attending and hanging out at auctions (especially Gen Con, always fond of Mr. Mentzer's crew and fond memories of Twinkies tossed about back in the Atlanticon/Origins days). Collecting-wise just looking for some D&D related (CDM 1/2) and some not (Harn, Kobold Press, Runebound).

Regards,
Andrew

Welcome Andrew!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:27 pm 

Welcome! Glad you found your way here. :)

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:13 am 

Old Man wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Short-time reader, first-time poster, amateur collector. :)  But otherwise, your average RPGer from the late 70s, dabbled in freelancing, convention organizing, etc. but now mainly attending and hanging out at auctions (especially Gen Con, always fond of Mr. Mentzer's crew and fond memories of Twinkies tossed about back in the Atlanticon/Origins days). Collecting-wise just looking for some D&D related (CDM 1/2) and some not (Harn, Kobold Press, Runebound).

AtlantiCon----now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.   Welcome Andrew!  You aren't, by some remote chance, familiar with Rutgers University Gamers and their Treasure of the Dragon Queen tournament, are you?  :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:38 am 

Welcome to all the new members!

I'm thinking we need to create a welcoming committee here

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:01 pm 

grodog wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
Old Man wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Short-time reader, first-time poster, amateur collector. :)  But otherwise, your average RPGer from the late 70s, dabbled in freelancing, convention organizing, etc. but now mainly attending and hanging out at auctions (especially Gen Con, always fond of Mr. Mentzer's crew and fond memories of Twinkies tossed about back in the Atlanticon/Origins days). Collecting-wise just looking for some D&D related (CDM 1/2) and some not (Harn, Kobold Press, Runebound).

AtlantiCon----now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.   Welcome Andrew!  You aren't, by some remote chance, familiar with Rutgers University Gamers and their Treasure of the Dragon Queen tournament, are you?  :D

Allan,

RUG yes, as I lived in NJ from 86 to 04. But never heard (or at least don't recall) the event (in 84 I was in NYC). I will pass your quest along to my old gaming group (the RPS in Red Bank) on Facebook and see if they know anything.

Regards,
Andrew

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:58 pm 

Old Man wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:RUG yes, as I lived in NJ from 86 to 04. But never heard (or at least don't recall) the event (in 84 I was in NYC). I will pass your quest along to my old gaming group (the RPS in Red Bank) on Facebook and see if they know anything.

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the help.  If you find anything interesting, do please PM me here, or email me at [email protected] :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:13 am 

So, half a year after creating an account, I think I should introduce myself finally...

My name is Stefan, I´m 46 and from Germany. I´ve been playing D&D since being introduced to it in 1984, and stuff started accumulating over the decades. I started collecting rather hapharzardly, which in part is owed to the fact that the english material is not that easily to get in Germany. In the 80ies, these items were quite expensive due to the exchange rates back then, and as a result, not numerous.
The various german translations are not that numerous, compared to the original, and I still have several gaps in my collection. The german history of D&D is quite a mixed bag anyway. I might elaborate on that based on my consumer perpective.
A few of my german D&D items made it as scans into the Acaeum database years ago.
Recently, there seems to be a surge of old german and english BECMI and AD&D1 items getting sold over here, with prices on the rise. A few german items were even being offered in shrinkwrapped, mint condition. A used german B4 module got sold for 30 or so Euros, which is quite high, but then, i think prices seen to be higher here anyway, probably due to reduced availability.

EDIT: And only yesterday, I found black dougals new TSR archive. The old one is still out there, but continuing and expanding that is a big service. Thanks!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:33 am 

Herzlich willkommen!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:52 am 

benjoshua wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Herzlich willkommen!   :)

Danke schön!  :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 113 of 135123 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 133134135