Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 12 of 135123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:10 pm 

Hi all,

Not TRULY a collector, just someone trying to buy copies of old mods
and books.  I'd like a "complete" collection, but not all my books are in great condition, and it doesn't bother me.  Plus I like to break them out and use them occasionally.  Just got Expedition recently, and am waiting on Sinister, so I'm WAY behind everyone. :)

I'm Shane, in Miami.  You might've seen me on Enworld, if you go there.

Have fun!

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:08 am 

Hello,
My name is Nicolas, and i live in France. I discovered role playing with the german RPG SwartzeAuge (Black Eye / does it exist in US :?: ) and D&D during 1985 or 1986, I think, with one of the first french version. I am 30, so I was at this time about 11 years old.
Nevertheless my first experience was disappointed when i saw my Thief's guts lying on the dirty soil of a cave. I miss my backstab and the kobold opened my belly. The first monster of my first adventure (the veiled society / la secte masquée) 8O The warrior, the dwarf, the elfe and the cleric did not have the same difficulties. I hate Kobolds.
I wanted for quite a long time to buy those old funny modules I had played and bought an old MManual at my games shop. And then I found that incredible forum and society : Ouw i am not alone ! Let's remeber that a G1 module is about 350,000 GP, 75 Giants (including young ones and non combattant females) so about 36 000 kg (2 trucks of meats... a little less they are bigboned), 275 orcs and so on... :wink: It was a good time !
But now it's hard to find time to play... and players, but it is easier to find modules.
Since 2 months I read your posts and there are excellent, definitively. So i log in... despite to the fact that my english is quite poor. Sorry for that ! :oops:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:11 am 

youffie404 wrote:So i log in... despite to the fact that my english is quite poor. Sorry for that ! :oops:

Bonjour Nicolas.  Bienvenue à l'Acaeum.

Votre anglais est probablement bien mieux que la plupart des membres français. :oops:

Et votre anglais est certainement bien mieux que l'anglais de Mawell. :roll:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:42 am 

johnhuck wrote:
youffie404 wrote:So i log in... despite to the fact that my english is quite poor. Sorry for that ! :oops:

Bonjour Nicolas. Bienvenue à l'Acaeum.

Votre anglais est probablement bien mieux que la plupart des membres français. :oops:

Et votre anglais est certainement bien mieux que l'anglais de Mawell. :roll:

Cougar, Maxwell, ImperialSniper... que des stars  :lol: . Pas évident d'entrer dans le bain et de se mettre au courant. Néanmoins c'est impressionnant ! Et votre français aussi : accents, vouvoiement, c cédille...  ce ne sont pas des réflexes faciles pour les anglosaxons... mais peut être que vous avez des racines continentales !

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:13 am 

youffie404 wrote:Cougar, Maxwell, ImperialSniper... que des stars :lol: . Pas évident d'entrer dans le bain et de se mettre au courant. Néanmoins c'est impressionnant ! Et votre français aussi : accents, vouvoiement, c cédille... ce ne sont pas des réflexes faciles pour les anglosaxons... mais peut être que vous avez des racines continentales !

I knew I was making a mistake. :wink: One 'O' level, a few holidays in Bordeaux, Beziers, Reims, Arcachon, etc. and I start showing off! :oops:

Je ne comprends pas "Pas évident d'entrer dans le bain et de se mettre au courant" Mais je me rappelle le vouvoiement de l'école. Accents et c cédille j'ai dû employer la copie/pâte(?) de l'Internet

Racines continentales? Pas vraiment. Je suis peut-être de descente danoise jugeant par mon nom de famille. Mais c'était il y a un millénaire

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm 39, first heard about D&D when I was 12, started playing at age 13.  That would have been 1979.  

I'll never forget:  my first character was a half-orc fighter who was killed in his first encounter - the giant frogs in T1.  Man, things happened so fast when those frogs jumped out that I had no idea what was going on before the DM stated quite calmly "you're dead".  So I rolled up a dwarf fighter/thief inspired by a character in a book  called The Sword of Shannara, I think.  Then I got down to business, and that guy served me well for many years.

My all-time favorite was the giants series.  Many years ago, and hard to remember exactly, but I think we met our end in that cave with the two dragons.  Surprise.

My dark side emerged through an anti-paladin named Borlock the Executioner who spent years raising hell in City State.  Tod, if you're out there, I'm sorry I killed your dwarf and Antler-Man.  I don't know what got into me.

I stopped playing for a LONG time, but have since taken up trying to teach my kids to play.  I don't know, though, 3E just doesn't have the edge to it, IMHO.

My collection is very modest, mostly the usual box sets and multiple copies of some common things, but I do have some things that are more collectible than I had imagined before reading this site.  It'll be fun to see if I can pick up a few more.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Not TRULY a collector, just someone trying to buy copies of old mods and books. I'd like a "complete" collection, but not all my books are in great condition, and it doesn't bother me. Plus I like to break them out and use them occasionally. Just got Expedition recently, and am waiting on Sinister, so I'm WAY behind everyone. :)

I'm Shane, in Miami. You might've seen me on Enworld, if you go there.

Welcome aboard Shane, we seem to be bumping into each other a lot lately :D

When you get out here, if you'd like to try to get together sometime, let me know.  If schedules permit, we could meet at one of the local shops.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am 

Welcome, fool!
Two white dragons, the female is up on a ledge and has 12? gems on the ledge with her. IIRC the male is ancient and the female is very old?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:35 am 

I think you're right Frank.  afoolandhis$, it's no shame to be killed off in a Gygax module, consider it a badge of honor :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:42 am 

Yes, yes, that sounds about right.  I think I had my maxed-out half-elf fighter/mage/cleric along for that ride, too.  

Man, I'm telling you, that series was the only one I tried that brought out true feelings of apprehension and mortality.  Brilliant piece of work.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:44 am 

grodog wrote:I think you're right Frank. afoolandhis$, it's no shame to be killed off in a Gygax module, consider it a badge of honor :D

Thanks, grodog.  It was a nice funeral, anyway.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:16 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:...I'll never forget: my first character was a half-orc fighter who was killed in his first encounter...

When the PHB was launched, every character I played for about a year was a half-orc. Fighter, thief, assassin.  :?

afoolandhis$ wrote:...but I think we met our end in that cave with the two dragons. Surprise.

I remember that well as a DM.  I think I wiped out 3 members of the party.  One of which was the main MU.  Sweet!  :twisted:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:29 pm 

Since you all seem to know each other, it would be rude to not introduce myself. My name is Curt. I just moved to Portland, OR about a year ago from Lake Tahoe where I was a 21 dealer for a number of years. Played D&D a lot from middle school on (Traveller too) but stopped when I enlisted (my rucksack was heavy enough without adding pounds of hardback books). Recently dug out a bunch of my old stuff and was just sort of surfing around looking for information on its value when I stumbled upon this site. It's pretty cool. I had NO idea that it was still popular or that there were avid collectors. It is making me wonder about selling off my stuff, especially after reading someones thoughts about the nostalgia value it has.
As a sidebar: I have two scans of modules (D-2 2nd edition and Greyhawk 4th) that the site doesn't have pictures of in the valuation forum. I would like to contribute to the site but don't know how to go about sending the scans. Any help?
Thanks

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:39 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:...I'll never forget: my first character was a half-orc fighter who was killed in his first encounter...

When the PHB was launched, every character I played for about a year was a half-orc. Fighter, thief, assassin. :?

afoolandhis$ wrote:...but I think we met our end in that cave with the two dragons. Surprise.

I remember that well as a DM. I think I wiped out 3 members of the party. One of which was the main MU. Sweet! :twisted:

Ouch.  Sounds like the guy who DMed most of my early adventures.  Were you also one of those DMs who made players hand over the sheets of their dead characters?  Painful, but I have to admit I kind of LIKED that element of finality.

Yours truly,
Fool

(Thanks, Deadlord36, for the new moniker.  A much more fitting one since I have long ago parted with most of my $) :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:51 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Ouch. Sounds like the guy who DMed most of my early adventures. Were you also one of those DMs who made players hand over the sheets of their dead characters? Painful, but I have to admit I kind of LIKED that element of finality.

I never really thought of that.  But there might have been an element of retribution against our regular DM who was playing the MU.

He was hard. :evil:

In the first 2 years, I don't think anyone advanced beyond 3rd level.  In fact, I distinctly remember the player with the C3 retiring him at that point as he couldn't believe he had got so far.

But although he seemed to take an unecessary delight in killing us off, he was a great storyteller.  And his campaigns were much more enjoyable than those run by other DMs where we advanced through the levels in a few weeks.

Probably why I like dice so much.  It always seemed like I was rolling a new character. :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:20 am 

I know what you mean.  None of my characters ever got past 9th or 10th level, but it was fun because it was challenging.

That's one thing I dislike about 3E:  everything decided with a d20.  I really liked throwing the percentile dice in the old days.  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:05 pm 

Not the most flattering of pictures.  But the only one I have on my PC at the moment.

Don't ask what I'm doing.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:10 am 

Hello everyone - I'm wishing to introduce myself in this forum so you can get to know something about me.
I'm a very old player: my first interest has been war and boardgames - avalon hill and SPI ones, then I've been introduced to AD&D. As a D&D player, one of the firsts in Italy, I began with the translation of the blue basic D&D box for my friends, and have been mastering ever since.
From there - it was around 1978 - my interest has revolved around RPG games, especially AD&D - and now I own a respectable amount of items. Gamer, collector, miniaturist, and also late editor of the first italian free role playing games magazine - Rune - that I published for seven numbers with a bunch of friends (and I lost a ton of money in the process  :?
More than a collector, I'm a all-around gamer, still playing 2nd edition AD&D at the ripe age of 40 with my friends - and still searching things to complete my collection.
Thanking you for this place, which helps me get updated on the market, I'm glad to know all of you, fellow gamers and collectors of the world, not wanting this little piece of dream fade away.

Ciao!

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 12 of 135123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 133134135