Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 109 of 135123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:35 am 

Welcome, Mark and Chirine!

Mark: be wary of the 'tractor-beam-like' pull of this site. It is full of so much good information and people that you will find yourself checking it daily. It could be detrimental to your checkbook  :D

Chirine: I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's going on in your profile photo? I am studying religion and culture at UChicago, and that looks a bit like an altar or something. The 'scholar' in me suddenly got all excited. Love your site, by the way PDT_Armataz_01_37

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am 

Chucho68 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Chirine: I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's going on in your profile photo? I am studying religion and culture at UChicago, and that looks a bit like an altar or something. The 'scholar' in me suddenly got all excited. Love your site, by the way.

It looks like Deathknights of the Altar, which is kind of like Knights of the Altar, only different...... PDT_Armataz_01_05   Just kidding.  I have no idea what that image is.   :|

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 pm 

Chucho68 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Mark: be wary of the 'tractor-beam-like' pull of this site. It is full of so much good information and people that you will find yourself checking it daily. It could be detrimental to your checkbook  :D

Hector.

Yes - the pull is strong with this site.  I tend to flex the checkbook until the wife shines the light of other priorities on things.   :mrgreen:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:48 am 

Wow, I just realized that this thread is a little over twelve years old. I was still in my senior year of high school then. How time flies...

Name: Roy

What I collect: Comic books (mainly Superman), video games (RPGs mostly), novels (fantasy/sci-fi), movies of all varieties...I'm an all-around geek. I just recently started collecting table top RPG books, miniatures, box sets, etc. Though mainly D&D. I started the hobby of collecting things when I was still in Junior High. Particularly, I collected Star Wars CCG by Decipher Inc and going almost everyday after school to the FLGS just to buy packs of those cards.

Coolest item I own: As far as RPG items I own...nothing really.  Perhaps the only noteworthy item I have is the Spelljammer: Adventures in Space still in SW. That's it really. :oops:  Overall, an item that I own that I personally think is the coolest is probably a Superman document containing the signatures of both of his creators (Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster) as well as the first on screen actor of Superman (Kirk Alyn).

I'm still very much a newbie to RPGs.

I first came upon this site back in 2007, shortly after a friend introduced me to D&D (3.5E to be exact). I have never played in an actual session. However I did create a character and had my friend walk me through the basic, albeit brief, flow of a game.  Due to the nature of the military though, we had to go our separate ways soon after. I haven't really touched the books he gave me until just several months ago. With the nostalgia of my good friend introducing me to the game and the buzz of a new edition coming out, I decided to do more research into D&D and subsequently started collecting.

I was very interested in how D&D encourages cooperation, problem solving and creativity. More importantly, I came to realize how influential tabletop RPGs have been in one of my other hobbies: video games. Computer RPGs are my all time video game genre, and I enjoy all the different games that fall within that genre. From MMOs such as WoW and Everquest, to the expansive free roaming worlds of the Elder Scrolls games, and even to Eastern RPGs such as Dragon Quest. All of those games have been influenced by D&D in some way and it's especially more evident in earlier titles such as Ultima, Wizardry, and Might & Magic. So it's all-encompassing in that regard, despite being primarily known as a tabletop RPG. Furthermore, D&D offers infinite more possibilities compared to it's digital contemporaries, so that's definitely a plus.

As I stated earlier, I was in the military but I'm currently back in the civilian world and going back to school. I'll most likely ease off on the collecting until after I'm finished with college and find a job. I was actually very tempted to buy a woodgrain first print off of an ebay auction that ended recently, but decided that I need that money for the time being. Besides, I feel I don't deserve to own such a treasure since I just started with this hobby. I heard these games can be a very personal experience. Making friends and sharing memories or stories is just a part of playing an RPG session. That woodgrain first print will mean so much more to most people here who have actually played the game than it ever will to me.

...aw who am I kidding. I still want one.  :(

If anyone is willing to part with their VF or NM OD&D woodgrain 1st print, I'd be happy to pay you copious amounts of cash for it.  :lol:

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 pm 

Hello fellow gaming geeks!  

Name: Eddy

What I collect:  I collect D&D first edition, some second edition (primarily Planescape), 3rd edition, Some CoC, Shadowrun (primarily 2nd edition FASA), recently Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and many older late eighties/early nineties Grenadier and Ral Partha miniatures.  All and all I have a couple of hundred oop rpg items.  I have many of the original first edition modules.  I particularly love the old Moldvay modules.

Coolest thing I own: This would be a complete collection of the yellow spine AD&D books.  Not that they are particularly valuable, but hold a tremendous amount of nostalgia for me.  The oldest thing I have is a monochromatic issue of the original (third printing) "Vault of the Drow."  Although I don't own the white box (perhaps someday), I did buy the reissued wooden boxset a couple of years ago. Oh, I also have the printing of the deities and demigods with the Cthulhu mythos in it (so three cool things).

I've been playing D&D since the late eighties, albeit a dry period in the late nineties.  My earliest role-playing memories were around the sixth grade (age 11 or so).  My earliest DMing was about the same time.  I was shown the basic game by my friend's older brother and his friends. Of course that being said the first years for me were almost entirely Monte Hall theater of the mind play--And we loved it.

These days I'm finishing my PhD in Sociology and work in the field of criminology.  I, like so many others before, give much of my intellectual curiosity to my early years of pilfering through the DMG and Deities and Demigods.  So in short, I've been living through the Gygaxian universe for most of my life.

I'm happy to find such a rich resource for collecting.  Recently I've been running the Tyranny of Dragons campaign for fifth edition.  I have to say that I like the system quite well and have found myself getting rid of some of my 3.x edition books and using my AD&D (less crunchy and more fluff) stuff much more with the new edition.  I played third edition for the better part of thirteen years.  Never-the-less I grew tired of the arms race and bloated crunch of 3.x systems.  As mentioned earlier in the post, I am finding myself more and more enamored recently with the OSR movement and material.  So far I have some C&C stuff, but am more drawn to LotFP dark/weird fantasy.  I am actually refitting one of my older settings to the LotFP rule set and am planning on running a campaign there. I digress and look forward to scouring the forum.

Last edited by Sphere830 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm 

Welcome Semper Invicta and Sphere830,

Semper Invicta, as young as you are, a lot of the OD&D woodgrain owners will likely be moving on way before you, so I recommend patience.

Sphere830, it is not up to any person to determine what you should collect.  Collect what you want.  And while the majority of this crowd is biased toward the older versions of D&D and collecting, we don't do a lot of flaming edition wars.  Reactions are often understated or unstated.  Just keep calm and collect on.  

You've come to the right place.  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 am 

Welcome Semper Invicta and Sphere830!

Be very careful - this site and collecting is addicting!   :D

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 am 

I appreciate the welcome.  The warning, perhaps, is a bit late.  I started collecting first edition modules about fifteen years ago.  That being said, I don't have many mint or particularly valuables in the collection.  I am, however, elated to find such a trove of knowledge and information.  So elated that I'm inspired to finally try and find a suitable white box.  Can someone confirm whether the 6th printing was printed in 1977?  That is the year I was born and would like to find a relatively nice copy for my collection.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 am 

Welcome Eddy and Roy!
--Ron--

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:00 am 

Thanks for the welcome! It's a pleasure to be a part of this community!

As for owning a first print woodgrain, I figured it should an ultimate goal of mine rather than starting out a collection with it. I mostly have modern items from 3.5E and 5E (skipped out on 4E) but I really need to go back and get some of the classics. So until another opportunity presents itself, I'll just build up my collection until then.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 pm 

Hi all,
Just found this site the other day.
Name: Craig
Armor Class: 9?
Started playing D&D: 1976? I can't remember if I bought the white box or Basic set first, but it was right around the same time.
Collecting: I'm stil accumulating comics and SF novels, I've still got all of my D&D stuff. I haven't played since the early 80's, and will probably be selling some things in the future.
Prized possessions: ? I have the white box (need to do some research and see which printing), a letter from EGG (whatever I was asking him about, he was more than gracious with a reply).

edit: I just found this - should I be flattered or frightened? I "wrote" (using the term loosely) a few articles for Dragon magazine in the early 80's, and somehow this is news.

Craig Stenseth | RPG Designer | RPGGeek

Last edited by craigs63 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:14 am 

Hey Craig! Welcome.
This is a good place to do such research. :)
--Ron--

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 am 

are-intro, it's been a couple of years since I deactivated I think. But testing the water again, but not to collect or buy, just to chat and say hi....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:30 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:are-intro, it's been a couple of years since I deactivated I think. But testing the water again, but not to collect or buy, just to chat and say hi....

Welcome back!   :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:11 pm 

craigs63 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:edit: I just found this - should I be flattered or frightened? I "wrote" (using the term loosely) a few articles for Dragon magazine in the early 80's, and somehow this is news.

Hi Craig, Boggart or Incubus? :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:11 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
ashmire13 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:are-intro, it's been a couple of years since I deactivated I think. But testing the water again, but not to collect or buy, just to chat and say hi....

Welcome back!   :)

Thank you :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
craigs63 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:edit: I just found this - should I be flattered or frightened? I "wrote" (using the term loosely) a few articles for Dragon magazine in the early 80's, and somehow this is news.

Hi Craig, Boggart or Incubus? :)

It seems like I got articles published (whatever the monster column was called) for "incubus" and "poltergeist", never even play-tested them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:05 pm 

Welcome! And being published is very cool.  :D

I'll have to dig those copies out and check out your articles.

Carpe DM!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 109 of 135123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 133134135