Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 108 of 135123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm 

Teague wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I'm fascinated by the history of the game, and heartened by the fact that there are clearly so many of us that are still slightly obsessed with it.  :)

Slightly obsessed?   :lol:  Some would argue that.

Welcome!

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 pm 

Hey Ya'll,   thanks for the already warm welcome.   Very nice to have found this board, and I already appreciate the advice.   I'm a 44 year old professional from Louisiana, and very busy dad, who started playing D and D with the Red Box in about 1981 or so.  I can vividly remember seeing the Player's Handbook for the first time on a shelf a Sears.  My mom was extremely opposed to the outrageous price of $15, but who could resist the big demon-head with the thief trying to take the eye-gem?  Thankfully, the fact that the floor was littered with lizard man corpses went unnoticed.  

I had been thinking a lot lately about how much joy D and D brought me as a kid, and in college, so I was thinking about ways to re-visit it.  Then, I happened upon an article about this guy:  he collected over 11,000 video games. World's biggest video game collection goes for $750,000 - CNET   It occurred to me then that I should go back and collect and re-read all those great D and D modules.  Tomb of Horrors?  Epic.

So, my plan has developed.  I am going to collect a SET:  a copy of every TSR module from 1978 to 1993, in chronological order.   The chronological order part is to keep me sane and focused on the next module on my list, as opposed to being overwhelmed by everything out there.   So, my rules:  (1) We're collecting a copy of every module, so it doesn't have to be mint, or shrink-wrapped, just a copy.  (2)  In order of publication.  (3)  We're going to read or re-read each module as it comes in.  (4)  We're not going to blow the kid's college fund on it, either.  (5)  Just modules, not game materials, that's too much.  (6) Only modules produced exclusively by TSR, and prior to TSR's changing of 'module' to adventure'.  This will, conveniently, allow me to avoid products published by TSR/RPGA and TSR Great Britain, and other competitors.  Because, let's face it, I'm not getting the stupid Garden Path module anyway, and I think the prices for those dumb RPGA modules are outrageous.  Other, more serious collectors can have away at that.  

Currently, I'm mid-way through 1984 (6 years down and 9 to go!) and staring down the barrel of way too many Dragon-lance modules.   Looking forward to re-reading the first one though.  I have already discovered some fantastic modules that I never knew existed.  I1 Dwellers of The Forbidden City was good, and re-reading The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a pleasure.

Anyway, thanks again, and looking forward to the process!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:08 pm 

Welcome!

Each of us have some sort of method to our madness - yours seems like a good way to attack the problem.  I started off with categories myself, starting with codes (e.g. B, X, CM, M, etc.), working through from Basic to Immortals, then Advanced, then uncoded mods... I do admit that I did get 'greedy" at times, with semi-large collection purchases and lot deals but I mainly stuck to the plan.  I'm now looking at only 10 left on the list of 900 of which I believe 2-5 I'm likely never to see (ref your Up the Garden Path comment).  I've begun to focus on other products like non-D&D TSR and GDW Travellers for example.

Anyway you do it, it's a fun way to spend your time (an money)!  Enjoy!

~throwi

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 am 

Hello everyone. New guy here from Iowa with my first post on this forum.

I am new to RPGs, and to collecting them as well. In fact (confession time), I have yet to actually play an RPG with a group.  :oops:

So what am I doing here? Here is my story, if anyone cares to read.

I used to play Magic for several years. Not seriously, or competitively, but I did enjoy the game and it caused me to branch out into other TCG/CCG games. All along, I have always toyed with the notion of playing an RPG, but never knew anyone who played, nor really understood how to get a game started/play a tabletop RPG.

Well many, many, years have passed since my introduction to M:TG and gaming in general. To be honest, I haven't played ANY game in several years now. Anyway, about a month ago a friend of mine sent me a random text asking if I would like to play D&D. I was excited about the project and said I would be in to play. Then, nothing ever came of it. In fact, I asked him about it earlier today and he said nothing was ever worked out, he wasn't sure what edition we would be playing, we didn't have enough people, no one really knew what they were doing, etc. so I started looking at the current D&D stuff available. When I started "diving in" I saw that WOTC had re-issued some older stuff (seemingly mostly for collectors, or for nostalgic reasons IMO).

I decided to order the reprint editions of the white box, and the 1st edition players handbook, DM guide (incorrectly thinking it was a reprint of the 1st printing), and monster manual. I also plan to get the reprints of Unearthed Arcana, Against the Slave Lords, and Dungeons of Dread. These will be the "start" of my D&D collection.

I am a "collector by nature" (so-to-speak) and have collected a few different things over the years. I have recently got the notion to begin a D&D collection, and for a couple of reasons, to be honest. One is simply that I like to collect things that interest me. I also like to be knowledgeable of the things I enjoy. IMO, being knowledgeable about something, includes knowing a bit of the history behind your interest.

I have learned that through the multiple printings of the AD&D 1E Dungeon Master's guide, there have been some changes to the artwork (some removed I believe) and to the actual game play as well. From my understanding, there was some material from the first printings that was removed due to possibly being controversial (but I have yet to determine exactly what that material is).

That is what led me to this web site.  I was doing some research on a friends old copy of the 1E Dungeon Masters guide (to try to determine what printing it is), and stumbled across this site and forum. I thought to myself this would be the perfect site to learn about the various printings, changes, etc made to these books over the years.

As I am a man of limited financial means, and also a guy who want to learn how to play (and DM) the game, I have decided to focus my collection on 5E materials, and 'select' 1E materials. My plan for 5E is to literally try to get all of the books, and adventure modules, as they are released. For 1E, I want to learn what revisions were made as time passed, and try to get the "most historically important" versions of the books, if that makes sense. I think trying to collect ALL 1E material would prove to be too costly/difficult for me, so getting all 5E makes more sense at this time.

Anyway, I will be reading and learning as much I can on here, and look forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks for reading!  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:09 am 

Welcome!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:58 am 

painted_klown wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: I thought to myself this would be the perfect site to learn about the various printings, changes, etc made to these books over the years.

You have come to the right place.

painted_klown wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: I think trying to collect ALL 1E material would prove to be too costly/difficult for me, so getting all 5E makes more sense at this time.

I don't own all 1e materials, and I am quite happy.  I would say there are a number of 1e materials which aren't that good in my opinion, including most of the more expensive 1e items.  I would venture to say that you could collect more and better 1e materials for less money than by going the 5e route simply because there are so few used/discounted 5e materials out there.  While pristine condition 1e items are more expensive than their 5e counterparts, 1e items in Very Good condition, with a little patience, would cost less, especially if you were to find a larger lot of used 1e items.

Still, it is not up to me or any person to determine what you should collect.  Collect what you want however you want.  But, just so you know, the majority of this crowd is biased toward the older versions of D&D and collecting, and what I am saying is that you can collect lots of older stuff quite economically.   Good luck and welcome!  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 am 

painted_klown,

First and foremost, welcome!  As Benjoshua states, you've come to the right place to gain knowledge about the older and historical RPG world.

I'll drop some advice here (which you can choose to ignore of course)...  collect whatever you want, from whatever edition you want.  It's whatever brings you joy!  I'm not one of those that picks fights over editions - I can glean useful ideas or a few hours of roleplaying fun from all the editions.  In fact, if you're going to join a group to play (and unless you are extremely lucky to find a group playing 1e), you'll likely be playing a newer version or a variant.  It's no big deal, just have fun and play!

As for collecting older version books, I suggest creating a buying strategy - this includes figuring out how much you can spend each month and focusing on smaller lists of titles.  Many of us here collect subsets of the game, including editions and campaign/world areas (e.g. DragonLance, Dark Sun, etc.)... It's a good way to start too, makes it feel less daunting in some ways.

I can tell you this - in the short time I've been with this group, I've already seen a few significant price increases.  We are at a disadvantage in some ways, as many of the choice and rarer items are locked up by those that figured out how collectible this stuff was long before us.  ;-)

Anyway, enjoy the pursuit of each item to build that collection!

~throwi

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome all.   :)

I don't know why, but I find the history of the game, and the game materials, to be fascinating. I like to read about the "moral panic" the game caused in the 80's (I am old enough to remember this happening). The old artwork is great, and really has a sense of wonder and imagination that (I feel) is kind of lost in today's modern/glossy art. It's not that I don't like today's artwork, I just feel the older stuff sparks my imagination more.  8)

I am really looking forward to learning about the 1E hardcover books, the differences between the various printings, how to tell them apart, what content changes were made (if any), and figuring out what I would like to add in my collection.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:39 pm 

Hello all I recently was cleaning out my closet and found all my past D and D stuff and was very curious as if what i had was of any value seeing as its old as dirt ...making me old as dirt lol ....but i found this site in my search and was glad to see how well done this site was ...congrats to webmaster

At any rate i think i have quite a bit of stuff on my hands and am trying to find valuation but i really dont know where to start any suggestions? I will make a list tonight and take some pictures some stuff looks near mint and alot of first edition books

any help would be very appreciate

thanks
Deez

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 am 

DeezNuts wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello all I recently was cleaning out my closet and found all my past D and D stuff and was very curious as if what i had was of any value seeing as its old as dirt ...making me old as dirt lol ....but i found this site in my search and was glad to see how well done this site was ...congrats to webmaster

At any rate i think i have quite a bit of stuff on my hands and am trying to find valuation but i really dont know where to start any suggestions? I will make a list tonight and take some pictures some stuff looks near mint and alot of first edition books

any help would be very appreciate

thanks
Deez

I would start with the Acaeum 'rares' index first as those items will fetch the most value. Other common items can be of good value but I would just use ebay sold items as a general starting guide for those.

And of course there are many experts on the forum that can help as well.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 am 

I realized that I had never formally introduced myself, so figured I'd take this opportunity to do so.

My name is Brian, I'm 37, living Lebanon, Oregon.

My first introduction to the hobby was some time in the mid-1980's.  Saw the stack of books belonging to the 16 year old son of my parents friends, who wasn't inclined to engage a 9 year old about this cool sounding game.  When I asked my parents about it, Mom went down the Satanic Panic route.

A few years later, when I was 13, that attitude had gone by the wayside, and I bought the 1070 Black Box, and received the Rules Cyclopedia as a birthday gift later that year.

Downside was, small farm town, didn't know anyone who played, and couldn't recruit anyone who was interested.  There was a group playing what I can today identify as Shadowrun, but they weren't interested in D&D or anyone who was.  :P

Later, I transferred to a bigger/better high school, got heavily into comics, traded the box set for an incomplete Marvel Super Heroes Basic and Advanced sets, and was able to play that a few times.  Got into Magic: The Gathering pretty heavily.

I think this is the point in time that I really grasped just how big the RPG hobby was.  I found a phone number for the Mail Order Hobby Shop in one of the MSH boxes, and called -- A BUNCH.  I distinctly remember Steven Schend very patiently answering my questions and helping me out in ordering the various missing pieces from my sets, even sending me a free pair of D10's and a free copy of the Time Trap module for the game.

After HS, I found Battletech by way of the novel line.  Got into the Battletech CCG, still have a TON of my "Limited" cards, would kill to pick up a couple cases of the expansions that I never bought.

Didn't end up getting back into D&D, until I was invited to a game of the newly released 3rd Edition, and got hooked.

Got pretty serious into 3E/3.5, D20 Modern and the various D20 spin-offs/derivatives, and that's ended up being where the majority of my collecting has focused.

Around that same time, I started buying up older Battletech and Shadowrun stuff as I find stuff that interests me.

When 4E got announced in 2007, I was able to take advantage of the various retailer purges of 3E/3.5 stuffs -- the deluxe leather core books for $25/each from Paizo, numerous Marketplace vendors on Amazon selling ink-dot "remainder" copies sent back by the book trade and sold for pennies on the dollar, etc.

In the past few years, I've been buying up a bunch of that stuff -- campaign settings, going after various product lines, etc.  It's been interesting seeing stuff that was dirt-cheap start ramping up in price again.

I've known of The Acaeum for a while, at least the price guide, as I have collected a few early D&D items.

A couple years ago, I picked up another copy of the 1070 Black Box that I got rid of.  I've picked up a couple copies of the Rules Cyclopedia (mine was stolen years ago), and various other 1E/2E stuffs that strikes my fancy.

Joined up on the forum here to get some more information about the DCC line, and fill out my collection of that, and have enjoyed reading up on stuff here.

This place is a fantastic resource, and I've greatly enjoyed my short time here.

Thank you all!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:35 am 

Welcome Brian!

And happy new year.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:47 pm 

Welcome Brian!

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:51 pm 

Welcome Brian!
Happy New Year!!
--Ron--

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm 

Hello Acaeum!

I was a member of the site starting back in 2011.  I was a lurker, but never active.  Seems my account went dormant or was lost.  In any case, I am going to jump back in the saddle with a new account.  Might as well introduce myself.

Name: Mark

I am an Engineering Supervisor, husband, and father of two.  My exposure to D&D started with the White Box.  I am not sure of the year, but guess that it would have around 1980.  My cousins and their friends suggested we try an adventure.  (I've asked if they have that copy of White Box, but it belonged to a friend...)  At the time, I remember being completely baffled by the game.  Dwarves, Elves, and Men?  No game board?  Just paper, dice, and talking?  By the end of the session, I was hooked, but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to play as there was no one that I knew close to home that played.

Fast forward to 1984.  High school is a new world.  I meet new friends and stumble upon others who are interested in D&D.  I spend the next four years of my life willing cloistered in a basement with bottles of Jolt cola, Doritos, pizza, and D&D.  In those years, I made memories that will last a lifetime.  I also made friendships that have lasted decades.  I cherish the game.

With a busy life, haven't gotten to play with any regularity since.  Now that my son is of age, I am infecting him with my love of gaming.  Thankfully, he enjoys games too and we are starting down a new path of discovery.

Although there are new editions and new games being played, my love of the old D&D game never faded.  Because of that, I am a casual collector.  I still have all my old game material that I purchased starting in the mid-80's.  I have also been collecting casually.  

I think that pattern is going to continue for many years...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 pm 

Great story Mark!
Welcome!
--Ron--

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:02 pm 

Hello!

I'm Chirine ba Kal, "that Tekumel guy". I started working for Prof. Barker in 1976, painting figures for his, and became his informal personal secretary; I wound up being his publisher and general factotum for over a decade. I still game in his world, and we still have a lot of fun with it.

- chirine

My little blog: chirine's workbench

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm 

Welcome Mark and Chirine!

Carpe DM!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 108 of 135123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 133134135