Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 104 of 135123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Everyone.  I thought I would introduce myself.  I have recently become an avid RPG collector with my primary focus on vintage D&D and AD&D items from the 70s and early 80s.  I started playing in the early 70s when I was quite young.  I actually had been storing a lot of vintage D&D books and items from our last campaign from the early 80s that was played at my parent's home in California.  We had multiple white box sets, 1st edition copies of AD&D rule books and manuals, multiple early printings of all of the 1st edition D&D supplements, a couple of chainmail copies and multiple modules from the 70s and 80s.  Almost all of the items were in very good condition.  They had remained stored at my parents' house for over 30 years.  I went to collect the items about a year ago, having recently rediscovered the items a couple of years ago, and realized that my younger brother had sold everything.  I was crushed especially since none of the items were his.  Since that time, I have become obsessed with trying to recreate and expand upon the vintage collection I had accumulated and played with in my youth.  My goal has been to collect 1st or 2nd printings of 1st edition items from the 70s and early 80s.  The process over the past year has brought back so many fond memories from playing in my youth.  I have also been following extensively the forums and information on Acaeum.  I am thrilled to encounter a community of individuals as interested and avid about D&D.  Thank you for all of your posts and information that you provide.  It has been helpful and entertaining.  Best regards!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm 

Best regards makes it sound like you're leaving us just as you've arrived! Stick around a while, most here don't bite, and most of the ones that did have mercifully left.
On a side note, great name, I'm surprised that no one had picked Melnibonean before now.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:59 pm 

Hi stratochamp.  Thank you for the welcome.  I am definitely planning on staying around.  I have actually purchased a couple of items from current members badmike and zenfinite.  Hope to get to meet and know more of you in the near future.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm 

Welcome and very cool avatar!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:42 pm 

Thank you for the welcome.  I like your avatar also.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:56 pm 

Great intro and nice Elric avatar!
Welcome!
--Ron--

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:15 pm 

Welcome aboard Melnibonean and u2622!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 am 

misterspock wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome aboard Melnibonean and u2622!

Indeed! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:32 pm 

Melnibonean wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I went to collect the items about a year ago, having recently rediscovered the items a couple of years ago, and realized that my younger brother had sold everything.  I was crushed especially since none of the items were his.

Ouch, that sucks.  Fortunately, a lot of the original D&D and AD&D products can still be found, through eBay, RPGMarketplace or other sites, including the Classifieds section here.  It just takes time, patience, and cash.  But the hunt can be a lot of fun, and is what keeps most of us on these boards, if I had to guess.  In any case, welcome!

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am 

Welcome Melnibonean!  indeed, a great handle/alias for this site.

Thanks for sharing your story about your collection loss, many of us have experienced similar events involving parents and/or siblings.

You've found a great place to research and find what you're looking for!

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:17 am 

Thank you misterspoc, grodog, Bracton, and throwi.  Very nice of you all to welcome me.  Hope to be around for some time and contribute at some point also.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:13 am 

So, I'm not really "new".  But after a long absence, I'm back gaming and collecting.  Most of my original collection is gone (ex-wives have 30th level magic user spells like that).

Hopefully, going to make it to Gen Con this year.  This will be the first since 2002 where my then 8 year old son won the final item at the final Gen Con auction in Milwaukee (it was pretty awsome).

Hello to everyone and let's roll for initiative!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:05 am 

Welcome back!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:So, I'm not really "new".  But after a long absence, I'm back gaming and collecting.  Most of my original collection is gone (ex-wives have 30th level magic user spells like that).

Hopefully, going to make it to Gen Con this year.  This will be the first since 2002 where my then 8 year old son won the final item at the final Gen Con auction in Milwaukee (it was pretty awsome).

I told my wife, to her face, if we get divorced I'll run away and live in Zimbabwe with my D&D collection before she gets a single copy of B2. That's just below the belt, man, my condolences.

Zen

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 pm 

muaddib5

Welcome back and I am sorry for your loss (of your collection).
My former wife did not even discuss my RPG collection (other than to mention it was one reason for her filing) during the weeks leading up to the finalization of our divorce in 2012.
We basically divided (value wise) everything else in half.

She had no idea how valuable my collection was, if she had, that would have been a mess to figure out since I did not have it catalogued at all.
Still don't actually.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:So, I'm not really "new".  But after a long absence, I'm back gaming and collecting.  Most of my original collection is gone (ex-wives have 30th level magic user spells like that).

you are of course referring to the copy of kriegspiel. i remember when your son won that. welcome back!

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:57 pm 

The Mrs. and I are experiencing our 37th year of togetherness come this summer.
I doubt she'll divorce me at this point.
Shoot me, maybe.
:lol:

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm 

Nice!
And me coming up on only 14 years of the wedded bliss.
:)
--Ron--

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 104 of 135123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 133134135