Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 103 of 135123 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 133134135
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 am 

Hi all,
I've just registered.  Decided not to lurk in background anymore just looking at values of items.  I have to admit what got me to become a more active was the tread about silly prices on ebay.  That really hit home.  Sometimes the asking price just seems soooo silly.  And not always for the high priced items often it seems there is a 20-30$ for something I would only pay 3-4$.  I've been collecting since about 2002 mostly on-off via ebay and local used book stores.  What I have is more impressive for bulk rather than rarity or quality.  Early on I got a bee in my bonnet about the Battlesystem boxed set and bid on 6 at once.  I won 5 of them......  I became more careful.  Overall I'd guess I have two bookcases 7 shelves filled and a couple of "Drawer Boxes" (often used for comics) that are magazine size to store Dragon mags, Dungeon mags, and seeing how it goes with modules.  Only have a handful of 4's and no 5's.  Not sure if I'll spend what's needed for a 5.   I'm still and active player so I use a portion of the collection for an active campaign.  Hope I can learn some more by being a little more involved.  Looking at the various forums this seems fun.  

Peter Green

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:49 am 

Welcome Peter Green!  And Merry Christmas!  There are lots of great threads, advice, and collecting knowledge tidbits on these threads.  I know I have learned a lot since I joined.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:40 am 

Welcome Peter!
Tis a great place to learn a great many things!
Be well,
--Ron--

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

Welcome Peter.  I too was a lurker before joining.  

I've found the members here very patient and understanding - and willing to answer questions and help!  It's a great place to check in each day.

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:27 am 

Thanks for the welcome.

Question: where would be the best forum to talk about the mechanics of collecting. I've read the info about mildew and acidfree boards and Mylar. What I'm curious about is where stored. I've got two full bookcases and have been thinking of transitioning modules and mags to what are called drawer boxes. These are like comic book boxes but can be pulled out like a drawer. And they have magaine width sized drawer box. Opinions?

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 am 

Peter Green wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Question: where would be the best forum to talk about the mechanics of collecting. I've read the info about mildew and acidfree boards and Mylar. What I'm curious about is where stored.

The drawers sound like a good option, as long as the drawers aren't out in your carport or up in your attic.  While there are some overall principles of storage which apply, there are multiple ways to store and/or display a collection well.

Here are some threads you might find helpful:

Best Storage Methods

Magazine & Dungeon Module Protection

Displaying items

Looking for Advice about Cataloging/Organizing

Storage Materials

Any further questions or comments on this topic should happen on another thread, like the ones listed above.  Again welcome!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 am 

Benjoshua's recommendations for reading links are great first steps - I've used much of the material found there to organize and protect my collection (although I'm far from done!).

A company that I use for bags and boards is BagsUnlimited.com - they have cost effective, resealable bags, and good boards.  I buy from them almost every six months.  They also have a plastic storage box (instead of corrugated cardboard) that is perfect for storing boarded modules (no drawers but good handles and lids).

If you're up for an interesting conversation, ask if you should store your boxed sets flat or on the side.  ;-)

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:47 am 

Welcome Peter Green! Judging from your questions you have landed in the right place :)

Zach

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm Richard, and got into AD&D at 2E. I sold my (meagre) collection to a friend about 12 years ago, and am just now getting back into role-playing. I've been using this site for the past few months to try and estimate the value and completeness of other collections that I could purchase. Sadly I've been bitten once already by not checking the merchandise closely at purchase time - one was three boxes of dank, musty books. I'm slowly working on cleaning and salvaging them (at least to the point where my hands don't stink or feel grimy after reading them).

I'm definitely a big player, half collector, and not much of a reseller, though I don't see the point on holding onto duplicates or items I know I'll never enjoy.

My favourite items are probably Planescape, FR and Dragonlance, though I've yet to actually play a game in Planescape or Dragonlance >.> (hoping to run them eventually). Also looking forward to running a game in FR's The Horde setting, which seems to not be much of a popular product line.

I'm 31 years old and based in Vancouver, BC.

Thanks to everyone for the effort that they've put into this site!

Richard

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm 

Welcome u2622!  The more you hang around, the more you'll learn about collecting do's and don'ts.  These guys are good!   :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 pm 

Welcome to the club u2622!  Good to see a few more canadians showing up  :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 am 

u2622 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hey everyone!

I'm Richard, and got into AD&D at 2E. I sold my (meagre) collection to a friend about 12 years ago, and am just now getting back into role-playing. I've been using this site for the past few months to try and estimate the value and completeness of other collections that I could purchase. Sadly I've been bitten once already by not checking the merchandise closely at purchase time - one was three boxes of dank, musty books. I'm slowly working on cleaning and salvaging them (at least to the point where my hands don't stink or feel grimy after reading them).

I'm definitely a big player, half collector, and not much of a reseller, though I don't see the point on holding onto duplicates or items I know I'll never enjoy.

My favourite items are probably Planescape, FR and Dragonlance, though I've yet to actually play a game in Planescape or Dragonlance >.> (hoping to run them eventually). Also looking forward to running a game in FR's The Horde setting, which seems to not be much of a popular product line.

I'm 31 years old and based in Vancouver, BC.

Thanks to everyone for the effort that they've put into this site!

Richard

Welcome Richard!  You've come to the right place for sure.  Whether you're a player or collector, there is a wealth of information here along with hundreds of members who love to answer questions, identify rare items, and share their knowledge.  Many of us check in here every day (even multiple times a day).

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 am 

Definitely welcome!
As the others said, there's so much wonderful information here, and lots of real knowledgeable folks.

Good luck and be well,
--Ron--

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 pm 

Thanks everyone :D It's already been quite a valuable resource so far (even if only to determine if an item I've picked up is complete or not)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Everyone.  I thought I would introduce myself.  I have recently become an avid RPG collector with my primary focus on vintage D&D and AD&D items from the 70s and early 80s.  I started playing in the early 70s when I was quite young.  I actually had been storing a lot of vintage D&D books and items from our last campaign from the early 80s that was played at my parent's home in California.  We had multiple white box sets, 1st edition copies of AD&D rule books and manuals, multiple early printings of all of the 1st edition D&D supplements, a couple of chainmail copies and multiple modules from the 70s and 80s.  Almost all of the items were in very good condition.  They had remained stored at my parents' house for over 30 years.  I went to collect the items about a year ago, having recently rediscovered the items a couple of years ago, and realized that my younger brother had sold everything.  I was crushed especially since none of the items were his.  Since that time, I have become obsessed with trying to recreate and expand upon the vintage collection I had accumulated and played with in my youth.  My goal has been to collect 1st or 2nd printings of 1st edition items from the 70s and early 80s.  The process over the past year has brought back so many fond memories from playing in my youth.  I have also been following extensively the forums and information on Acaeum.  I am thrilled to encounter a community of individuals as interested and avid about D&D.  Thank you for all of your posts and information that you provide.  It has been helpful and entertaining.  Best regards!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm 

Best regards makes it sound like you're leaving us just as you've arrived! Stick around a while, most here don't bite, and most of the ones that did have mercifully left.
On a side note, great name, I'm surprised that no one had picked Melnibonean before now.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:59 pm 

Hi stratochamp.  Thank you for the welcome.  I am definitely planning on staying around.  I have actually purchased a couple of items from current members badmike and zenfinite.  Hope to get to meet and know more of you in the near future.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm 

Welcome and very cool avatar!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 103 of 135123 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 133134135