Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 101 of 135123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:My main concern here was ensuring Bangalore-dude didn't score a free ALEAC print.  :)

Foul

Thanks for covering for me and for preventing me from further making a fool of myself.   :eye:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm 

and Chris, next time, if the party is still fully charged, we attack the formorian and let the dice fall where they may!

this is an ntrpg con reference that only smarmy bracton benjoshua and myself will get. now back to our regular bangalore programming.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:and Chris, next time, if the party is still fully charged, we attack the formorian and let the dice fall where they may!

this is an ntrpg con reference that only smarmy bracton benjoshua and myself will get. now back to our regular bangalore programming.

I still believe that would have been a bad idea.  Sure we still had 40 Magic Missile spells which could have probably taken him out, but it would not have touched whoever else he had with him, probably four or five trolls and forty orcs which would have basically meant our forty elf helpers would have been one on one with the orcs and each of our party members would have been one on one with the trolls.  Most importantly, we had accomplished our mission and we had no way of knowing if the path was clear back out of the cave and to our boats.  The bottom line is that we didn't know what exactly was coming to confront us or what was going to happen on our retreat.

Still, I'll game with you any day against any adventure.  That was a fun ride and a lot of fun.   :D

O.K. NOW back to our regular bangalore programming....   :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
benjoshua wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Woah!  Peachtree City is about an hour from Macon, Georgia.  There are not a lot of people of your background/profile who are into Dungeons & Dragons.  I am sure there's an interesting story there....

I think Sarah will be quite confused if you show up at her college with a backpack of 1st Edition modules and the intention of "rolling a few dice".   :wink:

Foul

P.S.  While the amusement of watching this continue to unfold is tempting, in the interest of alleviating the general confusion:

"Kacy Crawford" is a troll of some sort, most likely trying to jack up a post count so as to later spam advertisements.  The introductory post above seemed a bit fishy (I'm highly suspect of "gamer girls" interested in early xD&D -- apologies to lucyjoyce, Azurah, Allison, Versimilitude, et al).  However, it was the follow-on posts (since deleted by me) that really tipped me off; replies to about ten of the most recent messages in Collecting General, consisting of "LOL", "Great Post!", "ooh, this is interesting", etc.  I checked the IP, and it comes back to India.  I Google-searched the avatar pic, and it comes from a recent article on a college freshman named Sarah Kajani, in Georgia.

So, out with the ban stick.  Sorry guys.  :(  Rest assured that Kacy is most likely a greasy dude sitting in an Internet cafe in Bangalore.

And I recently reported "Kacy" on the DF pages...  :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:39 pm 

Hello all, I was directed here by the guys at Dragonsfoot (snazzy CSS on the forums by the way...also a part time web developer, and some of these php themes are pretty slick).  I've been scouring the interwebs looking for an old supplement that predates ME more than likely, a supplement containing what I believe were the origninal elemental mages for either OD&D or AD&D 1st Edition.  Their spell lists were strange in that they went up to 10th level spells, and also noted a lot of crossover it seemed from the MU list (and select goodies from others as befitting their element).  Some standout spells if it helps were Miniball, Double Miniball, Doomkill, Incinerate, Lead Spray, and Power Word: Ignitus .  Where would I inquire about what exact source this came from?  Thanks!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:38 pm 

Welcome kellkheraptis!  If there is one thing this community is good at, it's discussing obscure and historic information about rpgs.  Hopefully you will find what you are looking for, and I will also add that I find your question interesting as well.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:43 pm 

Posted over at K&KA as well, so maybe an answer turns up.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:37 pm 

Thanks chainsaw, the hunt is over.  As it turns out, it was Different Worlds issue 2 from 1979, the article 'Specialty Mages - Part 2'.  Thanks for all the help, and now we'll get to see how he turns out when I go to actually rebuild from his original rule base!  Tell the crew at K&K I said thanks too, if I don't get an account up and running there first.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 am 

Name: Kenny

What a great place I find myself in! How did I come to be here? Well two things happened ...

Earlier this year in June I attended my 30 year highschool reunion (class of 1983). Not only was it the first time I'd seen my old classmates, it was the first time I had returned to visit the city of Adelaide. I had a great night catching up with my schoolmates and tried to get around to have at least a quick chat with all of them. It was while speaking to a guy I could swear I'd never met before in my life the topic of Dungeons and Dragons came up. A wave of pure nostalgia swept over me that night, visiting my old school grounds and talking about things from the period 1979-1983. One of those memories was the first time I was introduced to AD&D 1e in 1979. The growing sense of wonder and thrill at discovering a whole world of imagination I could share with friends. The little shop in some city arcade that I would visit on Saturdays to look at the various TSR goodies. The modules, the magazines, the Judges Guild supplements, the dice.

A very pleasant time in most people's life before you go on to university, start a career, get married and start a family. A time when you have a lot more freedom to take the time to do whatever takes your fancy, a time before you're on the hook to earn enough money to pay for the needs of your own family. And so I enjoyed the event, returned home to Sydney and promptly forgot all about it.

The second thing came about a month or so later when my parents called to let me know they had sold a property of theirs they had owned for a long time. They wanted to know if I still wanted a few boxes of possessions I had left with them when I moved out of home back in 1985. I paused to consider what might be in a box I hadn't seen for almost 30 years and how much use it would be to me now. I decided to ask them to just toss all of my old junk out when I found myself asking them to drop it over when they next visited. A month or so later I found myself with two large, very dusty and old battered cardboard boxes sitting in my own house.

It would have been a few weeks later when I noticed those boxes and thought I could smell an "attic smell" coming from them. I figured I should have really just asked them to toss it all out after all. That weekend I set out to open the boxes up and see what was in them, throwing out anything and everything that was useless, dirty, smelly or generally unsavoury. I figured I'd end up throwing it all away.

And that's when I found myself looking at a bunch of TSR AD&D 1e modules and all the core rule books plus some other gaming stuff like Gamma World box set and modules, Traveller, Ogre, GEV and some other odds and ends. I was delighted to look through my module collection and soon recalled all the great times I'd had as a 13-15 year old kid, both playing a character and DMing games. Also the countless hours of solitary creation and documentation of my own campaigns and adventures.

Like most here I loved AD&D as a kid and only stopped playing it because I discovered girls! That and I moved cities and took up other interests with other friends.

So these two random events caused me to think again about the world of Greyhawk, about Mordenkainen and Bigby and Tenser, about THAC0.

After carefully cleaning all the materials and reading through them fondly I was left thinking what to do with all this stuff. I googled about the best way to store a module and found a link to Gary Gygax. I started reading about information I could never have had access to as a boy in Australia in 1979. About the original playtesting group in Lake Geneva. About where Robilar came from and who the people were behind the magic. I was fascinated and absorbed, but also sad to read about EGG being ousted from TSR in 1985 and even more so that he had died in 2008. It almost felt like a little piece of light went out of the world for me, but I guess that's life.

That is what started me off to read and investigate further. Again like most here I think my tastes are for the games and systems I grew up with and played as a kid. For me that was AD&D 1e and Greyhawk. Gary Gygax, Rob Kuntz, Erol Otis. The originals, the creators of games and artwork. The source of the magic.

And so for me it's AD&D 1e stuff published on or before 1985. The materials and works that EGG wrote or that one of the originals wrote or was written during his "rule". I'm sure others here will not agree with my point of view, it's simply how I see it and what resonates with me.

And so I've started building my modest collection of AD&D 1e modules of the EGG era (1985 or earlier) and always the first printings. I already had all the Australian printings of every module released here plus a smattering of others. I also had all the 1e rule books already. I've enjoyed using the resources here to understand what printing each rule book or module is and finding out about the rare collectibles and their value.

Who would have thought those little bits of cardboard and paper would be the object of such interest so many years later?

My motivations are to give a little bit of love to my nostalgia, to build a modest collection of all modules and books that fit my view and to possibly capture the interest of my son and daughter. My son is turning 8 later this year and my daughter is 5. I have some vague ideas about using AD&D as a means to have fun with them while also sharing some time together as a family. I'm not too sure my wife would be much interested - she's into triathlon and loves the swimming, cycling and running. But I think RPGing is a healthy exercise of imagination and thinking that would be of benefit to a young person, as long as it is balanced with playing sports and other more athletic interests.

Well those are my thoughts and hopes and motivations, I fully reserve the right to modify them as I see fit over time!

I'm glad to have found this wonderful resource, glad to have found lots of other people who share a common interest. Hope my little introduction is a good intro to the site.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:58 am 

Welcome MrBlonde!

MrBlonde wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:My motivations are to give a little bit of love to my nostalgia, to build a modest collection of all modules and books that fit my view ....

Good luck on that.  It sounds like you have already contracted collectoritus insidious....just like the rest of us!  :D   Again, welcome!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 am 

Welcome aboard, Mrblonde!

Martin

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:56 am 

Welcome to the Acaeum MrBlonde.  We are glad to have you.

Hope you are able to involve your children in the gaming.  It truly does help to stimulate their imagination and cognitive abilities, plus it's just a fun family activity.  Too much of what our kids do nowadays is detached and isolated from others.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm 

Welcome Mr. B!

Great post that encapsulates the experience for many of us here.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 am 

benjoshua wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome MrBlonde!
MrBlonde wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:My motivations are to give a little bit of love to my nostalgia, to build a modest collection of all modules and books that fit my view ....

Good luck on that.  It sounds like you have already contracted collectoritus insidious....just like the rest of us!  :D   Again, welcome!

Thanks benjoshua! Oh noes ..

My modest collection current consists of the following modules (nothing rare or collectible, just first printings of each):

o A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity
o A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade
o A3: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
o A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
o C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (2nd/3rd printing - monochrome)
o C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness (2nd printing)
o C3: The Lost Island of Castanamir
o D1: Descent into the Depths of the Earth (Australian print)
o D2: Shrine of the Kuo-Toa (Australian print)
o D3: Vault of the Drow (Australian print)
o EX1: Dungeonland
o EX2: The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
o G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (Australian print)
o G2: The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl (Australian print)
o G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King (Australian print)
o I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
o I2: Tomb of the Lizard King
o I3: Pharaoh
o I4: Oasis of the White Palm
o I5: Lost Tomb of Martek
o I6: Ravenloft
o I12: The Egg of the Phoenix
o L1: The Secret of Bone Hill
o L2: The Assassin's Knot
o N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God
o N2: The Forest Oracle
o Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits
o S1: Tomb of Horrors (2nd printing - monochrome)
o S2: White Plume Mountain (1st printing - monochrome)
o S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
o S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
o T1: The Village of Hommlet (1st printing - monochrome)
o T1--4: The Temple of Elemental Evil
o U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
o U2: Danger at Dunwater
o U3: The Final Enemy
o WG4: The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
o WG5: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure
o WG6: Isle of the Ape
o World of Greyhawk (Folio) 2nd printing
o World of Greyhawk (Boxed)

Prufrock wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome aboard, Mrblonde!
Martin

Thank you Martin!

dbartman wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome to the Acaeum MrBlonde.  We are glad to have you.

Hope you are able to involve your children in the gaming.  It truly does help to stimulate their imagination and cognitive abilities, plus it's just a fun family activity.  Too much of what our kids do nowadays is detached and isolated from others.

Thanks dbartman, I'm really hoping they take to it any enjoy it but you never know.

Badmike wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome Mr. B!
Great post that encapsulates the experience for many of us here.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike B .. hey you're *that* Mike B!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 am 

MrBlonde wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Thanks Mike B .. hey you're *that* Mike B!

All that and more!   :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am 

Welcome, MrBlonde!  I hope enjoy this site as much as I have.  The guys here are a wealth of knowledge.

Be careful, collecting this stuff can get quiet addictive.  :)

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

I honestly haven't played since the early 80s and I owe a great debt to Gary Gygax et al (regret I will never have a chance to meet him now).  

I was surprised to see what some of the items in his estate went for, particularly the posters. How much of that was the provenance vs the rarity?

Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're right.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

sparkyflint wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I honestly haven't played since the early 80s and I owe a great debt to Gary Gygax et al (regret I will never have a chance to meet him now).  

I was surprised to see what some of the items in his estate went for, particularly the posters. How much of that was the provenance vs the rarity?

Welcome sparkyflint!  Gary inspired us all and continues to do so.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 101 of 135123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 133134135