Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 99 of 135123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 am 

Hey newbies!  Welcome!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 pm 

Hello All!  

I'm Thom from the US (CT specifically).  I've been gaming since '81 and enjoy playing D&D (original), AD&D (both 1st and 2nd), MERP, D&D Fourth (if forced to play), and now my new game system, TSRS (throwigames.com).  

I've been collecting TSR products all my life but have really focused in the last five years on getting my hands on every book and boxed set published by TSR.  I have about 92% of all D&D, AD&D and about 80% of all the non-D&D TSR products (e.g. Alternity, Star Frontiers, etc.).  I'm really down to just the expensive and hard to find stuff.  Luckily, I have a super supportive wife that lets me spend money on my hobby!

I'd welcome any offers for items (sale or trade) and any basic correspondence just to discuss collecting.  I don't consider myself an expert yet, there always seems to be more to learn about the history of TSR and the products they made.

Regards,

Thom

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm 

Hey, Martin, welcome. Congrats on the YouTube channel. Good stuff!

Hi, nesbit! We share that story goes over looks, so my buys/trades are usually on the lower end of the spectrum, collector-wise. Good luck with that...

Hello, Thom! Maybe your wife can call mine...just kidding! Welcome!

All of you have just entered...The Twilight Zone.  :D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm 

Glad to see some new folks.  Welcome!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:Glad to see some new folks.  Welcome!

And I just added 5 new books to my collection, thanks to you Lucy!  

-Throwi

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm 

Greetings fellow collectors,

Long, long, long time lurker here. I've been using the Acaeum as a reference for probably more than a decade. As I started collecting around the time that I discovered Ebay (Oct 2000) and soon after discovered the Arcaeum. With the induction (or my discovery) of Ebay, I quickly dug out my D&D books and modules only to discover that I was missing some of my original material. It seems to be a familiar story to some. And so it began:

02/09/01 D3 Vault of the Drow
02/09/01 I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
02/09/01 B2 Keep on the Borderlands (what was I thinking here, only $3.25 but still)
etc., etc., etc.........

And shortly after (the following week), started buying items I didn't previously have:
02/18/01 Rogues Gallery
02/18/01 Temple of Elemental Evil
02/24/01 Deities & Demigods w/Cthulhu and Melnibone
03/07/01 1977 OCE Box Set BIN for $25
etc., etc., etc.........and on and on for nearing 13 years now.

I will forever remember the OCE Box Set purchase, as it came up really late one night. It's times like that that I'm glad I started collecting in first place. The hunting, the finding, the enjoyment. Of course, it's also a double bladed sword. As I wish I would have purchase a TSR 25th Anniversary Box Set back then. I remember seeing them go in auctions for $29.
(The OCE purchase reminds me,  I hope it was one of you who picked up the 2nd Edition Chainmail last night as I almost bought it. I'll post about it in the appropriate forum later) if I remember.

I've been collecting (on and off) on a modest budget ever since. The wife and I parted ways so I don't have her daunting eyes looking over my shoulder or my money any more. So, this past Christmas I bought myself a little Christmas cheer. I bought that 3rd print Woody and 1st print Greyhawk off Ebay 12/24/12. It is very nice and I was glad to see that some of you thought that it was a fair deal. I thought it wasn't really over/under what it was worth (and I didn't have a Woody yet) so..... now I do. Recently I've been lurking around the message boards and reading some topics that I would like to chime in on.
So, Here I am, with all of my wants, needs and my inevitable questions.

Happy Hunting!!!
Brad

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
 -Nietzsche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:01 pm 

Welcome, Brad! (Officially, I guess...you have been here longer than many!)  :D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm 

Welcome to discussions, dialogue, and discoveries Brad!  Glad you could join us.   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm 

Hello everybody.

I'm Brynjar from Iceland, 24 years old and began collecting a little more than a year ago.

I got into RPGs through 3rd edition but now I prefer 1st and 2nd eds. My collection expanded very quickly. My ambition is to collect most of the stuff TSR put out for D&D. I will probably never really try to get the ultra rare items. R1-4 might be fun though. I'm currently focusing on the BECMI and AD&D modules. I also intend to complete my Planescape and Ravenloft collections soon as they are missing only a few items. I think I love collecting modules the most, that includes DCC, OSR and the like. I don't collect just to own but to read as well and play as much as I can.

I also collect and Pathfinder and slowly collect 3/3.5, OSR, d20, CoC and cWoD. Rather picky about what to collect from d20; there's so much utter garbage for it that I'd rather throw away than own. Maybe I'll start collecting 4E in 10 years when I can get the books cheaply. Am looking forward to see what Next brings us.

My most priced item is probably Deities&Demigods 2nd printing in NM condition. Items I'm looking hard for are H1, Faction War, PSMCIII.

This is such an addictive hobby.

Oh and I collect vinyl records too, although not to the same extent as RPGs. Mostly Prog rock and extreme metal.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 am 

Welcome!

Amanthor wrote:I got into RPGs through 3rd edition but now I prefer 1st and 2nd eds.

Good move!

Amanthor wrote:My collection expanded very quickly.

Take your time and you'll save significantly.  If it comes up on eBay once, it will likely come up again and again.  Plus, get what you really want.  Many of us here have bought something and then have to buy it again because the first item we bought was in less than desired condition.  And that doesn't mean items have to be mint or near mint.  Many items in my collection are in merely very good condition.  Different strokes for different folks.

Amanthor wrote:This is such an addictive hobby.

Beware collectoritis insideous, in which you collect for collecting's sake instead of collecting what you enjoy.  I've heard of collections interfering with important relationships, living spaces, and finances.

Again, welcome!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm 

Belated welcome to all the new members, interesting reading on your stories/history! Welcome and have fun collecting and enjoying the chat here

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:58 pm 

Welcome to all the lurkers and new members!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Plus, get what you really want.  Many of us here have bought something and then have to buy it again because the first item we bought was in less than desired condition.

Sometimes the opposite - buying something that you think you want, then realizing that it kind of sucks and now you want to get rid of it.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Sometimes the opposite - buying something that you think you want, then realizing that it kind of sucks and now you want to get rid of it.   :D

Haha! I've actually experienced that  :)

Thanks all!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 pm 

Hello Acaeumites --

I had the good fortune of meeting Stratochamp and Bracton at Gary Con - and they introduced me to this site.

I do enjoy reading - and to a lesser degree collecting old rpgs from the 70s. I appreciate the fact they aren't perfect - and not influenced by MMORPGs.  Most of all, I like playing those old games, which I first started in the 80s.

This site is really fun to browse; it's good to see so many folks who share their enjoyment of the hobby so enthusiastically.

Cheers.
Nick

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 pm 

officially welcome Nick. thanks for joining the site!

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 am 

Hi there.
I have been a lurker here for a few years and thought it might be nice to actually make a few posts now and then.
I was an avid TSR gamer when I was younger i(n the mid-80s) and even though I no longer game, I still actively collect TSR memorabilia and still enjoy pouring over all of my old AD&D books.
There are a few goodies in my collection that I hope to share pics of when I have some time. I own a vintage toy shop in Portland, Oregon and we carry a lot of the original LJN AD&D action figures and whatever minis, modules and books that I don't need for my own collection.

talk to ya'll soon,
Billy Galaxy

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm 

Welcome to the forums Bill!!!  :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 99 of 135123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 133134135