Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 135123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 pm 

Ragwaine wrote:Hi guys, I'm new to the site. I've been playing since 1978. About 10 years ago I got this idea that I HAD to own all the D&D stuff ever created. I was buying stuff up for a while then stopped. Now I've got a bigger house with an entire room dedicated to books and gaming "The Guybrary".

I just recently started buying stuff again. I've sold off 3 or 4 collections for friends on ebay and they were always nice enough to let me take what I didn't have already. As a result I have a list of about 920 items I'm trying to complete and I have 500 of them. Of course some of the other 420 are the biggies so I doubt I'll ever have them but It feels good to be more than halfway there.

Welcome, you've come to the right place!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 am 

Welcome, Ragwaine.

Get ready for your list to expand.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:48 am 

FormCritic wrote:Welcome, Ragwaine.

Get ready for your list to expand.

I know that's what I'm afraid of. I'm actually only interested in stuff put out by TSR. Only 2nd edition and everything before and I'm not concerned with different printings or small variations in the same item. I can't remember where I got the list I have but I've added at least 12 items to it so far.

I'm also not sure if I'll ever be interested in calendars, card collections, or board games. I might just restrict it to things you actually use to play D&D.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 am 

Ragwaine wrote:
I know that's what I'm afraid of. I'm actually only interested in stuff put out by TSR. Only 2nd edition and everything before and I'm not concerned with different printings or small variations in the same item. I can't remember where I got the list I have but I've added at least 12 items to it so far.

I'm also not sure if I'll ever be interested in calendars, card collections, or board games. I might just restrict it to things you actually use to play D&D.

Welcome. What you said above described me before I found this place. Now I am finding so much more than just TSR. My guess is that it will happen to you too.  :D It great here, just kind of kind expensive for people like me with twitchy buying habits.

Nogrod

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 am 

Yep that's very possible. I did see some D&D coloring books that I thought my boys "needed".

I decided to drop items off my list that weren't directly related to "playing dungeons and dragons".  So after dropping the calendars, board games etc... and buying a couple more on Ebay my current standing is 499/889 = 390 items left.  Of course if each of those items cost me $5 (unlikely) that would still be about $2000 and of course I'm missing some of the big ones so probably closer to $4000.

I'm getting closer to a full set of the pastel modules just picked up D1 and S1 (and I9).  Just need C1, D2, G1, S2, and T1.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 am 

Hi all - Name's Patrick but I go by Qalest on forums and such (former D&D character of course).  I've been collecting D&D since elementary school (early eighties), but that TSR contest poster that displayed most of what TSR had published really got me going.  I've been a fly on the wall at The Acaeum for almost twenty years, and finally decided to break the silence.  Can't say I've got anything too jaw-droppingly rare (my eyes were opened during several Gen Cons where a manuscript of a module would sell here or there - sheesh!).  Sadly, my other interests keep me from investing too much into the rares.  

I live in MN near where Dave Arneson used to game so I feel a "home-boy" connection to him and his work.  

Only recently did I look into the forums and found vast information here with many super dedicated historians, collectors, and archivists.  Now I feel a bit over my head!  Talk of collecting multiple editions (the white box has how many?!), author owned items, and super-rare publications has me giddy and dizzy.  And whew! the competition!  How many D&D collectors have blossomed of late?  Seems like more and more each day (I blame 4th edition).  Anyway, I enjoy all the eBay talk, and the Barsh publications, Kickstarter gossip, etc...  I hope to see you all at Gen Con waving your auction cards - I'll be the one who overpaid on that water-damaged, moldy Hellbound the Blood War set.   :D

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

Welcome Patrick.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:47 pm 

Heya Patrick,

I am still new around here as well and would like to add my welcome as well. I only started collecting a little over a year ago swearing to myself that all I needed were reading copies of what I owned back in the day. Happily having spent more money than I wish to own up to online, I have caught the collecting bug and met many cool people from this forum IRL.

The Friday Night chats are a great place to meet other collectors, which is something I highly recommend because they are your best source for collectible quality items.

Zach

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm 

Hi my name is Steve,
I started playing d&d in 1979 in high school so i'm a bit older than the average gamer but i did enjoy sitting around a table all night . its been to long since i played a real rpg game.
I was buying everything they had for d&d when i was playing it. bought and looked at every module, but once looked at i put them in a box, didnt want to tear them up by playing them to much.
so I wore out the B1 module b/c thats the only one i would play since it was already alittle worn, wish i wouldnt have tho, i never could find another to replace it.
thats why i had one set of books to use and one that is in brand new creaks when you open it condition.

i have every letter of the alphabet module and some with more than 1, like the RPGA modules.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 pm 

steve2214 wrote:thats why i had one set of books to use and one that is in brand new creaks when you open it condition.

i have every letter of the alphabet module and some with more than 1, like the RPGA modules.

That was great thinking 30yrs back to keep a second set PDT_Armataz_01_34

Welcome to the forum!

qalest wrote:Hi all - Name's Patrick but I go by Qalest on forums and such (former D&D character of course).  I've been collecting D&D since elementary school (early eighties), but that TSR contest poster that displayed most of what TSR had published really got me going.

For some reason when I saw your screen name, I thought it was a play on/associated with "Kahless" from STTNG :)
Welcome to the forum, too!
I guess I'm forgetting some of the posters that were released. What was the contest one?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm 

Anyone heard from Ak-P'tui lately?
I keep getting "Failure Notice" trying to email him.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Last edited by Thork N Hammer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm 

Hi all,

The name is A.J. and I started playing AD&D and collecting in 1978. As my handle suggests, I am a huge fan of the Greyhawk setting and I had the privilege of corresponding with Mr. Gygax back in 1997.

I also have a lot of material from the other TSR games like Gamma World, Top Secret, Gangbusters, etc.

I look forward to exploring all of the content that you guys have here at The Acaeum.

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm 

Welcome Greyhawk4x4!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:11 pm 

i didnt realize that d&d stuff was such a collectors item. its a good thing i didnt get rid of these things when i thought about it the 1 or 2 times i didnt want to drag them around when i moved.
I would like to know where you get the list everyone has so i can see how much stuff i might have. i dont think i have much b/c i stoppped collecting after the 2nd edition.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:41 pm 

steve2214 wrote:i didnt realize that d&d stuff was such a collectors item. its a good thing i didnt get rid of these things when i thought about it the 1 or 2 times i didnt want to drag them around when i moved.
I would like to know where you get the list everyone has so i can see how much stuff i might have. i dont think i have much b/c i stoppped collecting after the 2nd edition.

Most people do not post a list of what they have or don't have, but there are occasional threads where you get a sense of what someone's collection looks like.  For example,

Two years later.....

Sometimes people on these forums will showcase an acquisition or two through the "Recent Fun Finds" thread. However, there are threads out there about spreadsheets people use to catalog their collection.  Here,

Cataloging collection

And here,

OSR checklist

And here,

Looking for Advice about Cataloging/Organizing

While we are on this topic, I recommend you catalog/video your collection, if for nothing else, insurance purposes. But, I recommend collect what you like and not focus on the size or value.  A small collection you enjoy is better than a huge collection you care little about.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:28 am 

benjoshua, nice post. Thank you.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 am 

Oh, and hello. I'm not really a collector, though I have a lot of PDFs. I like to read about the good old school module and accessories. If I can I enjoy getting them on PDF. I'm one of the weird few that don't mind reading stuff on PDF. Initially it was a way for me to rebuild my long lost collection of TSR and Judges Guild goodies on a Social Worker's (a social worker with 4 little daughters, a wife, and a mortgage) salary... then a couple years ago, my brother found my three dusty boxes of D&D stuff! :)
I play and enjoy AD&D 1E (really like some recent OSRIC stuff) and do some editing of products for Jim Kramer at Usherwood, and DragonsFoot.

I thought I had done the welcome thing, but apparently not! :)

Be well everyone!
--Ron--

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 pm 

rredmond wrote:benjoshua, nice post. Thank you.

My pleasure.  I help where I can, which, among this crew of historians and experts, is not often.   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 135123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 133134135