Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 93 of 135123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 am 

Welcome to all the newbies!

Lord Kilgore has a great gaming blog I've checked out many times.  Good stuff there.

bmichael, you aren't that old until  you have grandkids.  That's when you know Father Time is kicking  your butt.

Nogrod/Zach, we'll meet each other at NTRPG con this year!  Hope you have a great time at Garycon.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am 

Badmike wrote:Lord Kilgore has a great gaming blog I've checked out many times.  Good stuff there.

Many thanks. It's a lot of fun and I need to keep at it a bit more regularly. I'm pretty excited to be back into AD&D like the old days.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the "collecting" bug might be trying to bite me. I'm fighting it, but it feels so good.

Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:43 am 

benjoshua wrote:
Tyrannosaurs wrote:I doubt I'll ever be a hard core collector, more looking at purchases for play and nostalgia - ...

Ha!  Beware the contagious disease collectoritis!  It is well-known to take over your wallet and mind!   That is, until you have no more storage space.  :wink:

Welcome!   :)

So a year later you might be right, but I think I've now got everything I want.

That said The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun looks interesting. And I never really liked Oriental Adventures but for the sake of completeness...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 am 

Lord Kilgore wrote:I'm not a "collector" by any means, other than I want to build a nice little collection of books for use. But that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun checking out the differences between the printings and keeping an eye out for early ones.

Six months ago I resembled this remark. My only plan was to repurchase what I had owned originally without caring about the quality. Sigh. Now I am hooked and it isn't only the out of print stuff either. I love modules and I am constantly amazed by the new modules being put out for "the world's most popular Fantasy Role-Playing Game." Lulu is my friend and my enemy at the same time, but I guess I wouldn't want it any other way  :D

To think all this started while I was minding my own business about nine months ago and innocently typed 'vintage dungeons and dragons' into google on a lark.

I love miniatures too, but going down that road leads to madness.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 am 

Nogrod wrote:
Lord Kilgore wrote:I'm not a "collector" by any means, other than I want to build a nice little collection of books for use. But that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun checking out the differences between the printings and keeping an eye out for early ones.

Six months ago I resembled this remark. My only plan was to repurchase what I had owned originally without caring about the quality. Sigh. Now I am hooked and it isn't only the out of print stuff either. I love modules and I am constantly amazed by the new modules being put out for "the world's most popular Fantasy Role-Playing Game." Lulu is my friend and my enemy at the same time, but I guess I wouldn't want it any other way  :D

To think all this started while I was minding my own business about nine months ago and innocently typed 'vintage dungeons and dragons' into google on a lark.

I love miniatures too, but going down that road leads to madness.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'm the same. I've sort of got to the point that I thought I had everything I wanted (essentially my old collection minus a few things I'd taken an irrational dislike to plus a couple of other interesting bits) but then I discovered Expeditious Retreat and thought "that looks interesting" and whole new vista opens up.

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:20 pm 

Ted, age 23, Geography student at University of Montana (focusing in GIS).

I've lurked for a bit and recently came into a nice lot of old gaming material including wood grain Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition, with Greyhawk and Blackmoor. Already I feel compelled to get the rest of the supplements. I'm also looking into getting more classic Traveller material, as I love the golden age sci-fi feel.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm 

Greetings, Ted!
Are you /sure/ you want to be selling off those SRs and Dragons? They won't be that easy to replace, if you do... ;)

Great to hear your enthusiasm (there are quite a few Traveller/SF fans around here, too, btw) and to know that your acquisitions didn't end up on some scrap heap or ditched at a yard sale. Happens way too often, sadly...

David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 pm 

Heh, if I start collecting the magazines it will never end. Also, through the magic of this forum I found a buyer and we completed the transaction smoothly. Now where the hell is the tip jar?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:41 pm 

tscook wrote:...it will never end.

I thought that was the idea! *g* sry....

tscook wrote:Now where the hell is the tip jar?

=> viewtopic.php?t=2150 ;)
(old thread, but still current: a pretty good deal for hosting, too, if y'might need that!)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm 

I tipped accordingly.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 am 

I've been a lurker for several years, now, but I suppose it's good that I introduce myself.

I'm 34, currently living in Santiago, Chile. I started gaming in 1990 during middle school at an international school in Buenos Aires, Argentina (quite a feat; RPG's were virtually unheard of in Latin America, back then!), and fell in love particularly with Dungeons & Dragons. I played mostly BECMI D&D, and DM'd 2nd. Edition AD&D.

An error in communication back in 2003 made me lose most of my collection, not only of D&D products (which comprised the bulk of my gaming possessions), but of pretty much all of my gaming material. I've rebuilt most of my original collection, but found myself desiring more! Not just 2nd. Edition, but also 1st. Edition and even Basic.

Anyways, cheers!

"Go get 'er, Ray!"
   -- Peter Venkman, "Ghostbusters"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:11 am 

Hi Punga. Welcome to the Acaeum. I suspect our South American membership is rather small!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:00 am 

Hello and hola Punga!! I'm sure Hermit is right; not a lot of 'south of the border' (or it's equivalent) members here. But we are a vocal minority!  :lol:

Good luck on your collecting, especially keeping it under control!   :twisted:

By the way, what does 'punga' mean? Is it Tekumel, Inca, or just some random handle?

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 pm 

Thank you, Hermit and Chucho!

Keeping the collecting under control should prove a little easier for me; while I'm willing to fork out money for a product, I'm not so keen on paying loads of money on shipping! That limits me somewhat, specially for items such as Boxed Sets.

Chucho, 'punga' is a word used in Argentine and Chilean slang, used to refer to thieves from a very low socio-economic class. It became my nickname while in Mexico, because my friends thought the word was hilarious.

"Go get 'er, Ray!"
   -- Peter Venkman, "Ghostbusters"

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:02 am 

Hi Folks. I'm Matt, based in the UK. Pretty much these days I'm classed as a retired collector. I've given away a lot of my collection over the years and never wanted to bother going down the eBay route. I did buy a few things from there, but my collecting stopped about 7 yrs ago when my first daughter was born.

I'm seeking advice about some boxes of things I've found to disperse and joined the forum to have a read and browse and see if its worth trying to sell on rather than just shove back in the loft, or even worse move to the garage. I think my wife would rather it went in the recycle! However, as a collector I have a soft spot for ensuring the survival of things  :D You might see me asking a few daft basic questions.

For example I have no real idea these days about the collecting scene in the UK, does it exist underground? I collect books and I can safely say in the last 3 or 4 years I've only been in one bookshop that had any old RPG material for sale.

Kind regards
Matt

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 am 

Hi Matt. Welcome to the Acaeum.

I cannot speak for our UK members, but I am Australian and I buy a lot from the UK. There are a number of UK sellers on Ebay that sell RPG stuff and a pretty lively market from what I can gather.

There are plenty of folks here who will give you advice on the value of your collection and best options for re-selling. Just post down in the 'collecting appraisal' thread.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 am 

Hello everyone!

I'm James Smith. I'm 43 years old and have been gaming since 82. I'm currently running an OSRIC campaign.

A few years ago I opened an OSR blog, The Underdark Gazette, which has since been closed. I'm now blogging at http://dreamsofmythicfantasy.blogspot.com/ where I continue to post The OSR News, working to keep the community informed about new product releases and similar tidbits of information.

In the main, I collect OSR stuff, GG era TSR releases and Judges Guild. I pick up various & sundry other things I run across, as well. Once I get my JG collection more or less squared away, I want to start on the I.C.E. Middle Earth supplements.   :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:07 am 

Welcome James!  I read your blog all the time!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 93 of 135123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 133134135