Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 92 of 135123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

DD.Collector wrote:PS-Can someone give me advice on the best way to properly preserve the magazines?

A professional quality scanner and software and a pair of decent harddrives. Although all of Dragon is already available in digital format.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm 

Aleaxander, you've got me on the Tomb Raider! I'm completely signed up for this already, so much so that it's been per-ordered in my Amazon basket since early December lol
Is there an idea of date yet beyond 2012-13 ;)

Welcomed DD collector, enjoy the forums, I still see myself as a total noob here with a rather basic and poor collection, but I love the banter and the memories and information that flows around here :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm 

Can't speak about dates Ashmire, sorry.

Welcome DD Collector! You're my first welcome here :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 am 

Welcome Aleaxander and DD.Collector!

Eventually, the collection gets out of hand.  

Whether or not you can resist filling all available space or cutting down on the collection as you go is the basic fork in the road for collector sub-types.

I'm into the OSR at the moment.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 am 

Aleaxander wrote:Can't speak about dates Ashmire, sorry.

Welcome DD Collector! You're my first welcome here :)

S'ok, thought I was risking it ;)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm 

Hi all! My name is Chris and I am 38 and live in Guernsey, Channel Islands (UK). I was first introduced to D&D in the early 1980's by some visiting cousins and was hooked! Played throughout my school years but then got distracted by more worldly pleasures of youth and so my collection of books, modules and box sets found their way into my parents loft and they they stayed until a couple of years ago they were rediscovered (along with my old Atari 800XL and the extremely well played version of Alternate Reality - the best computer RPG ever!).

Suddenly I rediscovered my love of RPG's and now having a disposable income decided I would collect a few of the modules that I never owned myself but perhaps other friends had and we had played. This lead me to uncover a whole world of collecting and that was it, i was hooked again. Since then I have been collecting all original D&D and AD&D, using eBay and private sales when I can, upgrading items where possible and selling the old ones I had. The collection is coming along well and now looking for some of the more rare items.

I came across the Acaeum early on and what an invaluable source of information! Just amazed at the amount of work that has gone into the construction. But I did not really look too much at the forums until recently and realised what a wealth of knowledge and information there is here. So joined late last year and I am now a regular viewer of the classified posts and interesting items on eBay posts.

So I thought I would introduce myself and say hello to my fellow collectors, hopefully make some acquaintances and maybe pick up some tips or two!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:06 pm 

Welcome, Chris.

Sounds like you follow the same path as many...start small, end up  8O

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 am 

Welcome Chris!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hello Chris and welcome to the Acaeum forums.

Doug

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:35 pm 

Thanks all for the warm welcome.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:44 pm 

chrisdeputron wrote:Hi all! My name is Chris and I am 38 and live in Guernsey, Channel Islands (UK).

Welcome chrisdeputron.   :salut:

I've always been curious how people end up living on the Channel Islands.  Apparently, one day someone just wakes up and says, "I know! Guernsey!"

I suspect the same must be true of the Orkneys.

How do you get back to England?  Ferry?  Possibly a ferry to France and then the Chunnel?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm 

Thanks for the welcome!

Born and bred in Guernsey, lived in the UK for a while and also Bermuda for a few years and returned home about 8 years ago to start a family as it is a pretty safe place.

Ferry or mainly fly, also good links by sea and air to France ( St Malo).

Don't think I could live in the Orkneys though! Bit too remote!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm 

I have been reading here so often and have started posting some that I figured it that it would polite to introduce myself on this thread.

My name is Zach Glazar and I was born in the early seventies. Was about 8 when I played Dungeon! at a friends house and I was instantly hooked. I literally begged my mother for a copy of it. Not knowing any different I got a copy of the Moldvay/Cook Basic Set instead. Attempted to read the rulebook, didn't have a clue what was going on, but many re-attempts and many uses of the dictionary later I was spellbound (I imagine this is not unrecognizable to many of you). Played AD&D mostly until I discovered girls and parties.

My old stuff got thrown out in a tragedy that still hurts me to this day. Picked up the dice again recently though I am mainly interested in reading and collecting. I have been picking up some stuff here and there for a couple of years. My main interest is in anything before about 1986 (TSR and some others).

I just started getting into the Artists (always loved Trampier and Otus, realizing now how much I like many others from that era). I am at the stage where I am picking up the common stuff to replace what I once had, but damn you all, I am starting to really get the itch for some of the small press stuff and more expensive pieces.

One of the things that sucked BITD was seeing all of the pieces I wanted but could never hope to afford. Not as big of a problem 30 years later. I have made some beginners mistakes on eBay but have learned quickly. To be honest I think I would prefer having a couple of 'go to' guys that I can trust and buy privately. The extra expense is worth it to me for quality.

I will be at GaryCon and the NTRPG Con this year and I hope to meet some of you. I post as Nogrod everywhere.

That's more than enough blather out of me.

Awesome forum.

Zach

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 am 

Welcome, Nogrod!

I got here searching for revenge on Judges Guild.  I sat down one night and decided to finally find a copy of Dark Tower.  I landed here.

I have gotten revenge big-time on all the Judges Guild stuff I could not afford BITD.  I have lingered...sucked into the vortex of collecting like Aldis the Lost and his quest for Treneth the Damned.  

Linger here too long (too late already?) and you'll be bitten by the OSR bug and driven to the brink of game collecting madness...as was I.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 pm 

Hi all! Thought I'd introduce myself (as such).

I started playing in 1983 with only a PHB and a set of dice, and after lots of time in 1e, a fair amount of time in 2e, a lot of time off, and a little dabbling in retroclones I'm now back to 1e AD&D. So I'm picking up copies of the books as I can (mostly eBay).

I've used The Acaeum for several years to check out my original books and now the ones I add to the collection, and it would be wrong of me not to makes sure and give a HUGE THANK-YOU to all of those who have contributed to make this site so great.

I'm not a "collector" by any means, other than I want to build a nice little collection of books for use. But that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun checking out the differences between the printings and keeping an eye out for early ones.

Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:55 pm 

Hello to all the newbies...

GAWD I feel old! :cry:

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:04 am 

Thork...  Gawd YOU feel old?   I am like a flippin antique in this group.  I should change my username to Grandpa.  I started playing D&D in Northern Chicago and Lake Geneva, etc., going to events with my best friend's dad who was an OLD gamer at probably 31yrs old, when we were 10 - in 1974 LOL!!!!  I can't say why it's still in my blood, but have been collecting bits and pieces ever since!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am 

Oh, and Hello All.   I may be old, but I can still hang with my kids for the most extent LOL...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 92 of 135123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 133134135