Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 90 of 135123 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Personally, I've lost all interest in actually playing RPGs :).

8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 pm 

my boys (15 & 13) have never shown one iota of interest, quite the reverse in fact! They are a great disappointment to me and I will be sure to leave them nothing in my will 8O

I guess everyone has different interests and passions but I can't help but feel how I would have reacted if my dad had have shared my love of rpgs and wargames - I think he tried but just didn't have any kind of handle on games at all - a generational thing perhaps.

hey ho!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 am 

gyg wrote:I guess everyone has different interests and passions but I can't help but feel how I would have reacted if my dad had have shared my love of rpgs and wargames - I think he tried but just didn't have any kind of handle on games at all - a generational thing perhaps.

I think your father's issue is basically mine as well. I've never been a "gamer" in the sense of, well, enjoying games... I'm bored to tears by board games (pun intended), suck at traditional card games (no poker face), etc. My initial interest in D&D was sparked by the notion that I could somehow reenact my favorite fantasy and science fiction stories (I was a reader of Wells, Verne, Burroughs, Tolkien, and a few others before encountering RPGs). Problem with that is I've always been at least partially disappointed in the results. Not sure whether I've just never found the "right" group of gamers (I've played regularly with only two separate groups over the years since 1980), or the medium just isn't to my taste. I've had some good times playing D&D, don't get me wrong, but when I reflect I realize my enjoyment of RPGs had mostly to do with hanging out with friends and getting high. Now that I'm in a new area and don't have a group, I find I have no desire to seek one out. Long story short, it had more to do with the company than actually playing the game.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:48 pm 

good points.

one of my great fears is, that if I ever do start playing again, I will be disappointed by the results - perhaps best to live in the past? Looking back, i don't think we were the best rpg group in the workld, we just had a good time, which I guess is good enough :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:50 pm 

I was your classic geek, playing D&D from about age 11 right through to University. I stopped in my early 20s when I started working. I think maybe ten years ago now in my early 30s in happened randomly upon a game I had always wanted to play on Ebay. Bought it. Discovered I could buy just about anything, shipped my old collection overseas to where I was living, discovered and joined the Acaeum.

But this is about playing. About two years ago, I joined an online conference skype game with a bunch of friends I made here at the Acaeum and loved it (I am 42, have three young boys and hold down quite a senior managerial position at work). As when I was young, it is less about the game and more about getting together socially and invariably having a lot of good laughs at the scenario you involve yourself in and the absurd situation you create.

I have played a little with my boys and they really enjoyed it. It is hard to draw them away from computer games. I do plan to play a lot more with them as and when I have time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:...Burroughs, Tolkien, and a few others before encountering RPGs). Problem with that is I've always been at least partially disappointed in the results.

The first things to consider when planning a William S. Burroughs role-playing game are local obscenity laws, particularly in how stringently they are enforced. Oh wait, you meant Edgar Rice, didn't you? Nevermind.

RPGs are very fragile, entertainment-wise. They are not really games, because the DM must constantly bend situations to keep it moving along. Most of my D&D games in recent years are with my son. I still play with friends when I can, but it's a constant struggle to keep it fun. It's crucial to find the right people.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hi all,

Well, my story is thus.  I was introduced to D&D via the basic set, probably in about 1985 ish (I'd be 11 then) and played with one group for a couple of years, then another group for another couple of years, finishing off in perhaps 1991 ish.  Though we had long since gone separate ways I learned recently that one of the players from the first group passed away in 2009 following a brief illness.  Memories of him led to memories of the game.

Anyway, I recently re-acquired the basic set (1983),(13th edition) and discovered that we never actually followed the rules all that well, (e.g. I don't ever recall encountering wandering monsters or our mostly lawful characters having a good reason to enter a system and massacre everything), but it was good fun.

I would not say I'm a collector (after all I only have this one item!), but I would quite like to get hold of the expert set and perhaps a few of the modules and gazetteers, hopefully in as good a condition as possible but not shrink wrapped (that's no good, I can't read ‘em if they're in there).

Major cheers to the people who put the site together, it's really cool seeing what's out there, pricing estimates and so on.

Dave C, Liverpool, England.

Funny all this D&D nostalgia.  I don't recall feeling too nostalgic about it first time around.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:39 pm 

Welcome, Dave!

Good luck on keeping your collection small. It's extremely difficult.  :D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 pm 

Memories, those foul things that make us attached. Welcome to your new lifestyle.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:49 pm 

DaveCEngland wrote:I would not say I'm a collector (after all I only have this one item!), but I would quite like to get hold of the expert set and perhaps a few of the modules and gazetteers, hopefully in as good a condition as possible but not shrink wrapped (that's no good, I can't read ‘em if they're in there).

Welcome Dave!  I wish you the best in your acquisition of additional D&D materials, but I hope you take advantage of some of this site's benefits, including, some threads warning you about malicious, deceptive, nasty eBay sellers.  One of the wost, unfortunately, is from your side of the pond, and ironically, has your first name, Dave.  If you want to read all about him, his shenanigans can be found here:

Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya

I recommend you avoid him no matter how tempting his listings may appear.  Again, welcome!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:54 am 

Cheers for the tip, I spotted cougarrinard while browsing around.  In general I try to reserve judgement but his multi-listings made it rather unclear what he was actually offering (no picture of the actual item, not much of a description) that kinda put me off anyway.

"pldmedia" in Canada got my attention with some things, intelligator has a rather nice expert set (I notice it's not split into players and DM's unlike the others, that's right innit?) that's a bit tempting.

I'm starting to sound suspiciously like a collector of sorts... damn, how did that sneak up on me?  .. if my track history with british Banknotes/Coins is anything to go by I'm in trouble!  Haha.

I'm quite sure I'll limit my interest to the game I knew and loved (1983 rules, modules, gazeteers, possibly creature crucibles).  

Anyway, I'm in a very much better place with all this than I'd be on my own, cheers guys.

Dave C

Funny all this D&D nostalgia.  I don't recall feeling too nostalgic about it first time around.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:05 pm 

DaveCEngland wrote:I'm starting to sound suspiciously like a collector of sorts... damn, how did that sneak up on me?

Am I psychic or what?  :D

I'm quite sure I'll limit my interest to the game I knew and loved (1983 rules, modules, gazeteers, possibly creature crucible

Good luck with that!!!  :lol:

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 pm 

Welcome Dave, enjoy the fun and the ride!

Dave (another one!!)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:06 pm 

DaveCEngland wrote:Cheers for the tip, I spotted cougarrinard while browsing around.  In general I try to reserve judgement but his multi-listings made it rather unclear what he was actually offering (no picture of the actual item, not much of a description) that kinda put me off anyway.

"pldmedia" in Canada got my attention with some things, intelligator has a rather nice expert set (I notice it's not split into players and DM's unlike the others, that's right innit?) that's a bit tempting.

I'm starting to sound suspiciously like a collector of sorts... damn, how did that sneak up on me?  .. if my track history with british Banknotes/Coins is anything to go by I'm in trouble!  Haha.

I'm quite sure I'll limit my interest to the game I knew and loved (1983 rules, modules, gazeteers, possibly creature crucibles).  

Anyway, I'm in a very much better place with all this than I'd be on my own, cheers guys.

Dave C

Al Silcock is an Acaeum member (killjoy) and an RPG seller on e-Bay as well.
He has MANY items and in fact recently opened up a store in his home town in England.
Al is a stand up guy and a good guy to buy RPG items from
And with both of you being in England shipping should be so much cheaper.

Al's e-Bay home page... but he has nothing listed right now.
He is probably out running a race in some long forgotten desert someplace.  :lol:
myworld.ebay.com/killjoy32&ssPageNa ... 1543.l2533

Al also has a website with lots of things listed for sale, but after changing computers I lost that one.

Oh and welcome to the Acaeum...  8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:54 am 

Hi All,

I now have contact with Alan, he lives less than 15 minutes train journey from where I work, so.. great stuff.  If something does come together I don't think shipping is gonna be a problem.. :-)

:D

DC

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:58 pm 

DaveCEngland wrote:Hi All,

I now have contact with Alan, he lives less than 15 minutes train journey from where I work, so.. great stuff.  If something does come together I don't think shipping is gonna be a problem.. :-)

DC

I just love happy endings.....

Wait, that didn't come out right.   :oops:

:lol:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 am 

DaveCEngland wrote:Hi All,

DC

hey dave!

welcome to the site mate.

great bunch of folk here...they are extremely knowledgable, sometimes way OTT (grins) but hey thats what its all about, being a collector.

sounds like youre slotting into a kinda niche like i have...most here have collections you simply wouldnt believe, but i like to think the rest just have what they like/enjoy/appreciate (like me)....

so...welcome to the site and enjoy the time you have here. i have been very lucky to actually meet a large number of the folk from here and have to say you would be hard put to find a better bunch of people.

best

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm 

Yeah, that was my favorite character's name, Rune Widowmaker.  Our DM was a unique guy and ran a fairly chaotic evil game, so we were a pretty nasty lot.

I think, back in the day, that I did more collecting than actual gaming.  I worked in a comic book store from '84 to '86 and picked up just about every interesting D&D/AD&D book/magazine/item that looked cool, just to have.  They usually got thumbed through once and shelved or boxed back up.  Thus, I have a ton of stuff in NM condition, including boxed sets like Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Star Fleet Battles.....reams of original modules.....Dragon magazines all the way back to issue 5 (or somewhere around there).

I was also into collecting lead figures back when they were actually MADE of lead.  Again, picked up everything in the comic store, so there's all the Grenadier boxed sets like Monster Manuscript, Dragon Lords, the giant undead skeletal creatures, tons of single figures from Ral Partha, Citadel.  A few oddities that I think are pretty rare, like the three-headed ogre with Moe, Larry and Curly's heads, the Grateful Undead band, an undead pizza deliveryman, and my favorites, the 75mm figures based on characters from Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, a movie which was a huge influence on my 12 year old mind.  As were the books, of course.

So anyways, all this stuff has been sitting in boxes for decades, just 'cuz I don't know what to do with it all.  And then today I ran across this forum, and here I am.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 90 of 135123 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 133134135