Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 88 of 135123 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:50 am 

Matthias wrote:Long time RPG collector, long time lurker. Currently working on B/X and 1st EditIon AD&D, but am my interests vary greatly (various RPGs, board games, miniature games and vinyl records).

Located in Chicago. Own and opertate a miniature wargame convention (AdeptiCon - AdeptiCon 2013 :: April 18th-21st, 2013) and a historical miniatures company (Gorgon Studios - Gorgon Studios :: 2012). Always looking for local players for our RPG group (we are open to any system).

Welcome, Matthias.  

The Adepticon page was quite impressive.  Sounds like a pretty cool miniatures convention.  I was impressed by the video coverage and what was obviously a large number of gamers on hand.

The Gorgon Studios page is interesting.  How do the scale of these ancients miniatures compare to standard Dungeons and Dragons and/or Warhammer miniatures?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm 

Thanks.

Yeah, AdeptiCon is a beast of an event right now. We get about 1500+ playing all sorts of miniature games, although our main focus is on GW, Battlefront and Privateer Press stuff. I am perhaps the only pro-RPG voice in the group!

All the Gorgon ranges are 28mm, so they would work just fine with standard 1" battlemats and all that. Most Warhammer stuff is actually more like 32mm, so our stuff might look a little small next to it. We are slowly working on building up some ideas for a Mythical/Fantasy line. We have a few already done (under Mythic World and Convention Models).

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:00 am 

Greetings folks. I'm John from San Antonio TX. Unfortunatly currently residing in North Floriduuhh. I collect anything D&D, Elfquest, Friday the 13th, Star Wars, and Sword and sorcery/fantasy type things.
Do, or do not, there is no 'try'.

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember.
Oscar Levant
(1906 - 1972)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 am 

Welcome to the forums...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 pm 

pondering_elf wrote:Greetings folks. I'm John from San Antonio TX. Unfortunatly currently residing in North Floriduuhh. I collect anything D&D, Elfquest, Friday the 13th, Star Wars, and Sword and sorcery/fantasy type things.
Do, or do not, there is no 'try'.

Hey, don't knock Florida!  The beaches in the panhandle more than make up for the ummm.... laid-back lifestyle of the natives.  Of which I am one.  A native, not a beach.  Well, not most of the time, anyway.

Welcome.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:
Hey, don't knock Florida!  The beaches in the panhandle more than make up for the ummm.... laid-back lifestyle of the natives.  Of which I am one.  A native, not a beach.  Well, not most of the time, anyway.

Welcome.

Good morning! Hehe I'm sure parts of Florida are wonderful. I can't help but be bias because I'm not here willingly and I miss Texas so much my dreams never fail to transport me back, every single night. Gainesville is Los Angels compared to where I'm living (Live Oak). Lake City has tattoo shops at least and you can purchase liquor.
 Moving on, I'm still getting my bearings here in this forum. Not sure what to post where. I'v got two Atari 2600s and many games if anyone is interested. Star Wars action figs from 70s and 80s too.
 Stay groovy

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember.
Oscar Levant
(1906 - 1972)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:19 am 

Hi all, I just wanted to check in and say hi. I was a decent part-time gamer back in the early days of D&D and still love the creativity and depth of the artwork. My main reason for joining is that I will be breaking up a great collection for a fallen family member (rip cousin bob) and I would rather the members here get first dibs. I'm hoping that you nice folks appreciate this collection as much as my cousin did. I'll be updating my signature as I discover new items.

Message to Mods: If I've broken any rules with the nature of this post, please ban me immediately. I don't want to make any waves.

Dispersing a deep collection of Dungeon and of Dragon magazines. I have Dungeon 1 thru 65 and Dragon 42, 46, 47, 49, and 51 thru 194 so far. More to follow. PM me with the holes in your collection and I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 am 

Welcome, Civilian!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 am 

Welcome Civilian. Your post is fine. If you want to get an idea of the worth of individual items try posting in the Collecting Appraisal Forum. When it comes time to actually inviting offers on specific items we have a Classifieds forum as well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:51 am 

Welcome Civilian!

This is indeed the best place to get appraisals and advice.  It sounds like you are interested in a two step process, appraisal and then selling.  Well, there is a section in these forums to list appraisals and another classified section for selling, so going to the correct section will help you get what you want better.  

And if I might be so bold, when it comes to appraisal, nothing helps us help you better than pictures.  We want to know not only what the items are, but what condition they are in, inside and out.  Rusty staples, mold, mildew, smoke, highlighting and much more all change any appraisal significantly.

Again, welcome!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm 

Civilian wrote:Message to Mods: If I've broken any rules with the nature of this post, please ban me immediately. I don't want to make any waves.

The nail-your-head-to-the-floor committee will visit you tonight as you sleep.  :)

General quick-n-dirty suggestions:
  • Check the different "Indexes" pages off the main Acaeum page (The Acaeum) for descriptions and historical prices of TSR items.
  • Check the TSR Archive (TSR Archive) for product information sans historical prices.
  • Search completed eBay auctions for recent eBay prices.
  • Read the different Acaeum forum threads for whatever interests you.  Several threads exist with selling advice.
Post in the Classifieds section if and when you begin selling your items.  Classifieds is a no-reply section; you won't get follow-up posts, but you will receive Private Messages if you have anything good.  Resist lowball offers to take them from your hands.  :)

That's just my two-cents' worth.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 pm 

All input is greatly appreciated. I'm through another bin and am finding some great stuff. I'll most likely start a Classifieds post over the weekend and will get some pics together. Most of the mags are in decent condition but I know that "sweet" doesn't necessarily mean Mint.

Take care and thanks again.

Dispersing a deep collection of Dungeon and of Dragon magazines. I have Dungeon 1 thru 65 and Dragon 42, 46, 47, 49, and 51 thru 194 so far. More to follow. PM me with the holes in your collection and I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:49 am 

Name: Lance Age: 24

I am actually not a collector per say, my father used to buy Dragon Magazines and other D&D items in his youth. He passed them onto me and so I am checking up on there worth.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 am 

Hi Lance,

Welcome to the Acaeum  If you decide to sell some of the stuff just place an ad in the Classified section.

Martin

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am 

Started playing D&D back in highschool in around 1979, graduating from historcial wargames and Avalon Hill which I started playing in about 5th grade.  Living in the suburbs of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis / St Paul, our group had early access to the now vintage material. The "Little Tin Soldier" shop on Lake Street was a real gem of a place, haunted by both fanatsy and old school wargaming geeks alike.

At one time we were pretty active in the D&D community, helping run events at GenCon, and even contributing to a few published works.

Sometime just before 2nd Edition, gaming focus shifted towards GW miniatures games, and when GenCon moved to Indianapolis, our 20+ year string of unbroken attendance was broken. Computer games filled the hole with my friends and I now scattered across the country.

All my old wargaming stuff is long gone, but my D&D stash has recently been dug out of the garage after starting a new 4E campaign with a new group of freinds. Thankfully, now working in Salt Lake City, the humidty is low and the tempertures are mild, and mircale of miracles the old stuff is in really good shape!

Currently working on valueing the collection, and deciding whether to join the ranks of collectors, or remodel the house!

I am Chuck, 46. And I am a geek. Just ask my wife (the kids are still young enough to think it's cool).

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 am 

Join us....

... the lure of the Dark Side is too powerful not to have a taste of....  :shaking2:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 pm 

You feel your need growing.  It makes you powerful.

*holds up a copy of White Plume Mountain*

You want this...don't you?

Collect this module, put it on your shelf and your journey toward the Dark Side will be complete.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:57 pm 

I've been posting here for more than four years, and lurking for at least  as long before I registered, and yet I have shamefully never gotten around to introducing myself.

So here goes…

I have been collecting D&D stuff since the 1980s, but only really seriously since the mid-1990s. I started collecting because I was attempting to create an index of all "official" D&D monsters ever published. (A task I eventually "finished" in 2008.) But by the time I'd done that, I had a significant collection, and it seemed a shame not to continue on to fill in some more of the gaps.

My collecting habits can best be summed up as "any official D&D game products". I'm edition agnostic, so everything from the original boxed set right up to the latest 4e products are fair game. I don't (generally) collect toys or licensed merchandise, something has to have some in-game application to interest me.

While my collection is a bit lacking when it comes to many of the rarer items, it is quite broad. I have very nearly every game product released for 2nd, 3rd and 4th edition, and about 98% of stuff sold for original D&D, BECMI and 1st edition AD&D. I have complete runs of Dungeon, Polyhedron, Polyhedron UK, Imagine and White Dwarf up to #93 (except #1, which I am missing). A notable gap is my collection of Dragon Magazines. I'm still missing about 40 of the earlier issues, something I'm gradually working on.

I live in rural South Africa, in a place called Madibeng in North West province. We named our home "East", just to be able to say that we live in East, North West, South Africa. Yes, I know that's ever so geeky! This places me at a significant geographic disadvantage when it comes to collecting. But on the other hand, I suspect that I can claim to have the largest D&D collection on at least one continent, so there is that. As an aside, I'd like to thank anyone who has ever put a D&D item up for auction on ebay and not excluded my continent from shipping. I appreciate that most sincerely.

I am still an active gamer, hosting D&D sessions once or twice each month. But I spend a lot more time on the collecting side of the hobby than I do just playing. Over the last year I've been working on a series of "Collector's Guides" over on ENWorld. These don't contain even remotely the depth and level of detail available here on the Acaeum, but are (I hope) a nifty short list of products for each D&D campaign setting and edition. (Example: Ravenloft Collector's Guide)

To wrap up, since I first found this site, it has taught me a vast amount about the history of D&D. I've been lucky enough to buy choice items from some of the esteemed members of this community. And once or twice I've even been able to help someone fill a gap in their collection. These forums are on a very short list of places I visit every day. My thanks to everyone who makes the Acaeum tick!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 88 of 135123 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 133134135