Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:11 pm 

Hey all,

Pete here.  New Jersey born and raised and I'm still here, although I did move away for a while.  I've been playing D&D since 1981.  My first experience with the game was when I turned up at a friends house and they were playing Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords.  I had no idea what they were doing but sat mezmorized as they tried to figure out how to go down the "Salt Slide".  I yelled out, "Sit on your shield.  Use your shield."  Needless to say, they through me out.  I was hooked after that.  My first purchase (and with my own money) was the 1st edition DM guide.  I can still remember how it smelled.  In 1985 I went into the Army and for some reason I gave everything I owned to some kid I felt sorry for.  I guess I thought I would never play again.  Damn!  I had a lot of stuff too.  I can't remember exactly how much but it was a lot.  I never saw that kid again.

I picked up with the game again while I was in the Army.  I started playing with this fellow American named Fritz Voss (Great name since we were in Germany). He was hands down the best DM I ever played with.  I started buying things again at that time but products in English were hard to come by over there.  Sometimes PX book stores would have them but it wasn't till after I came home from the Army around 1989 before I could pickup new stuff.  

My collection is growing but compared to most of you I am a little embarrassed.  My wife thinks I have a big collection, but aren't all wives supposed to tell you that it's big even if it isn't?   :twisted:

Sadly, I do not have one item from the RARES list.  To tell the truth I don't think I can afford one.  All my money (except for a small allowance) goes to the wife who then does the right thing and pays the bills.  Damn her.  I have been working on completeing my Greyhawk collection. So I will try to get one rare soon that being the Greyhawk Suppliment. And come the new year I plan to start canvassing the local used books stores for some hidden treasures.  I guess I have a lot more to go but it's fun.

Anyway, I've been stalking around The Acaeum for a while now and it rocks.  It's a great site.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:13 am 

Hey everyone!  Long time lurker, first time poster. (Mooo!)

I've been playing for 25 years, since I was 9 (1979). Started with the pink basic set, then a friend gave me the "dragon" basic box with the blue rulebook.

I've been collecting ever since I started playing, and have a pretty good collection so far. None of the super-rares like Lost Tamochan or anything like that, but I did have a 2nd printing of Dwarven Glory which somehow vanished from my collection... *sigh*

I have everything mainstream, and some obscure stuff from 1st edition, most of 2nd edition (just missing a couple boxsets). I have all of 3rd edition so far, along with anything else with the D&D logo on it, and a fair amount of D20.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:09 pm 

I am in McKinney, TX.  I need someone new to play D&D with because my group has fallen to two members.  Anyone who wants to play D&D or practice some melee combat please apply!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:02 pm 

I'm Jon from Cleveland.  First off I just want to say that this site is amazing!  I've spent way too many hours reading here about my old D&D fav's.

I am 38 and I've been playing since '81.  Unlike many, it seems, I am still playing - currently in a d20 Ravenloft game.

My collection covers all editions, but I have a lot of gaps I hope to fill this year.  I don't have much of the ultra rare stuff except for an orange B3 that somebody actually played and made pencil notes in  8O  (no, it wasn't me).

Jon M.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:57 pm 

pjflores wrote:I have been working on completeing my Greyhawk collection.

Welcome aboard Pete, it's always good to see a fellow NJ-ian and a GH fan join the boards :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:53 pm 

Thanks Grodog.   Where the hell is Merchantville?  Just Kidding.  My wife if from the southern half of Jersey, but she is from the coast over by AC in Tuckerton.  

I've been a fan of your GH website for sometime.  I've used it to reference quite a bit of stuff.   Great Job.  And Thanks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:14 pm 

Hey All, my name is Brian. I have been lurking around here for awhile and I figured I should finally pop in and introduced myself. I used to play along time ago, but now I just collect. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:41 am 

pjflores wrote:Thanks Grodog.   Where the hell is Merchantville?  Just Kidding.  My wife if from the southern half of Jersey, but she is from the coast over by AC in Tuckerton.  

That's cool, my folks have a house in Ocean City, so I've been around Tuckerton, too :D

I've been a fan of your GH website for sometime.  I've used it to reference quite a bit of stuff.   Great Job.  And Thanks.

Thank you---it's always a pleasure to hear that folks find the site useful :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:35 am 

hi guys, i am Alan, 36, from Warrington in the UK - its about 20 miles from Manchester. i have been playing D&D/AD&D since late 1979 and still play if i can now. my first ever character was a paladin named borka the jop (what a pathetic name when you look back) - i loved the character and was utterly gutted when he was killed by a white dragon just before 5th level *sigh*. i was then hooked and built up a lovely collection over the years. i always ended up DMing...loved to play but nobody would DM - typical!! i play 1st ed AD&D, with smatterings of other things thrown in that i like, but its about the role-play for me and not the rules....have got my girlfriend and daughter playing now and would be nice to get more closeby to play, but very hard to find ppl now i think.

had to sell my whole collection about 5 years ago, when i was getting divorced cos i needed £££. i was devastated let me tell you, but thats life sadly. daughter got interested in D&D about 18 months ago, so have started to get stuff again....money permitting, i get my hands on all i can....but just tend to collect and keep the things i really like, not necessarily what they are. i just try and get things as close to mint as possible. but lets face it, its all good fun and it gives you plenty to do :)

nice to meet you lot at last, having lurked around here for ages - a great site and a valuable guideline indeed!!

keep gaming & having fun!!!, Al.

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:07 pm 

Hi Killjoy - I must admit that I like your signature!  8)   Have you ever looked at one of my auctions?

Here's a sample link (be sure to scroll to the bottom)

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5952131507

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:08 pm 

My Name is Pat,

I am a long time GM/player moreso than a collector.  I live in Tracy, CA.  I never really got past 2nd edition into d20 due to the fact that by the time I got all three books (3.0), they were selling 3.5...... COME ON.  My old PH was good for 20 years.

Anyway, I attend many of the local cons (Conquest, DunDraCon).

Pat

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:31 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Hi Killjoy - I must admit that I like your signature!  8)   Have you ever looked at one of my auctions?

Here's a sample link (be sure to scroll to the bottom)

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5952131507

hey BTB!! wahay! see great minds think alike dude :)

thats certainly where it came from - one of my fave speeches that....always a way of getting ya going when you are standing at the entrance of a dragons cave :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:32 pm 

welcome pat - nice to meet you!!!

(i'm new here too but its cool to beat all these louts to a hello) :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:40 pm 

patweb wrote:I am a long time GM/player moreso than a collector.  I live in Tracy, CA.  I never really got past 2nd edition into d20 due to the fact that by the time I got all three books (3.0), they were selling 3.5...... COME ON.  My old PH was good for 20 years.

Anyway, I attend many of the local cons (Conquest, DunDraCon).

Welcome Pat, I will probably be at the Different Worlds booth at DunDraCon again this year, perhaps I'll see you there :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:51 am 

i'm really envious of you americans, having all them conventions to go to. we get the odd one or two over here and i havent ever attented one over the years. i believe we have one right at the end of this year, november-ish, so am going to make a point of going.

but the fact you have them regularly is great. *sigh* :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:53 am 

Hi guys. I've just joined (obviously).
UK born & bred
D&D player since 1981

I've been slowly enhancing my collection over the past few years, and have only recently started on ebay. Not too worried about condition - shrinkwrap or polythene bags go straight in the bin! It's meant for playing

It's nice to see so many familiar usernames on this board - people I've dealt with many times over time.

I've used this Acaeum site a lot - it's excellent (thanks guys), but I've never ventured onto the forum until now.

Greyhawk man myself (Hi Grodog - great site) - 1st Ed mostly.

Managed to find a copy of I8 (Baltron's) recently; there seems to be another one going at the moment - please someone push the price up so I feel better!

I hope to pickup some more JG stuff from killjoy32 tomorrow (Hi).

Looking forward to some interesting and varied discussions in the future.

BJS

PS - Got a nice home ready for a 3rd ed Talisman dragon if you happen to see one in need of fostering  <g>

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 pm 

b_stedman wrote:Hi guys. I've just joined (obviously).
UK born & bred
D&D player since 1981

I've been slowly enhancing my collection over the past few years, and have only recently started on ebay. Not too worried about condition - shrinkwrap or polythene bags go straight in the bin! It's meant for playing

It's nice to see so many familiar usernames on this board - people I've dealt with many times over time.

I've used this Acaeum site a lot - it's excellent (thanks guys), but I've never ventured onto the forum until now.

Greyhawk man myself (Hi Grodog - great site) - 1st Ed mostly.

Managed to find a copy of I8 (Baltron's) recently; there seems to be another one going at the moment - please someone push the price up so I feel better!

I hope to pickup some more JG stuff from killjoy32 tomorrow (Hi).

Looking forward to some interesting and varied discussions in the future.

BJS

PS - Got a nice home ready for a 3rd ed Talisman dragon if you happen to see one in need of fostering  <g>

Hello mate, nice to see you here.... i aint been on here long myself altho have browsed the site for many moons. great bunch o guys on here too...very helpful!

btw there's a fair few watchers on them items youre winning, so keep your hand on the button just in case you get sniped.... i bl**dy did on one last night grrrr last 5 seconds.... ah well next time :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:12 pm 

Thanks. I got sniped by mbassoc2003 (hiya  ^-) on a US copy of Wilderlands on Sunday, so I do hope I catch yours (now that he's got the other one).

Not overly bothered about losing some of the others, although I could do with bidding more than the minimum at some point.

I forgot to add that, just in case anyone's interested, I'm currently DMing ToEE, and a player in RtToEE and FMA2. Furthermore tomorrow, as a filler, I'm throwing a group into C2, with Escape from Astigar's lair as a reserve incase they all have a premature death <g>.
I think in many ways the old ones are the best - 14 months ago I ran B1!

BJS

PreviousNext