Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 77 of 135123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 133134135
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:30 pm 

Hiya folks,

My name's Keith, and I am a returning collector. 

For whatever it's worth, I'm not actually new to The Acaeum  per se, but I have been away for 3 years, and I have not been actively collecting during that time period. 

So, even though I talked to (or annoyed) the long-standing members back in 2005, it  feels like I'm new to the site since it's grown so dramatically since I left. 

My passion is for Original D&D, specifically the rules sets and supplements.  I began playing in 1978 after a guy in high school, during a beer run, realized I was a fan of Isaac Asimov and therefore surmised that I would love D&D.  I've never been quite sure how/why he made this leap, but I sure am glad he did.  

I attended a snobby undergraduate college where I joined an Animal House frat, partied like mad, majored in physics, and met one of the hottest girls on campus, who I'm now married to.  Being 45-years-old, I do the "dad thing" a lot with my two kids, and I love it.  They're at the age where D&D just might capture their hearts if I can pull them away from the PS3 or the swimming pool long enough for me to explain the game.

D&D is one of many interests that I have, along with history, humor, genealogy, gadgets, political science, theology, creative writing, sketching, books and college football (Roll Tide).  I wish I could say I'm active, but I'm really not.  I love to hike, play soccer and shoot hoops, but I don't do any of those with any regularity.

My favorite movies are Casablanca and Ferris Bueller.  My favorite drink is root beer.   My favorite food is Tex-Mex. My favorite music is classic rock and Jimmy Buffett.  My favorite authors are Pat Conroy and Doris Kearns Goodwin.  My favorite TV mini-series is Taken, and my favorite TV show is House.  College football is my favorite sport by far, although I also love college basketball, soccer and the NFL.  I'm descended from a long line of Southern mountain folk (ever see Deliverance?) and like most Southerners, I have a love/hate relationship with my culture. I'm spiritual, but not religious.  But above all else I believe as Kurt Vonnegut did, that we were put on this Earth to fart around.

I'll close this TMI post with this: You can skydive without a parachute.  You just can't do it twice.

Peace.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:40 pm 

Roll Tide!

And, if you come through Mobile to the Free Buffet concert shoot me a PM and stop by.  Especially on a Tuesday night.  I am confident you would fit in and enjoy our game night!  You might enjoy rummaging around in the collection, too.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 am 

Pipswich wrote:Roll Tide!

And, if you come through Mobile to the Free Buffet concert shoot me a PM and stop by.  Especially on a Tuesday night.  I am confident you would fit in and enjoy our game night!  You might enjoy rummaging around in the collection, too.

Twould be fun.  Unfortunately, oil & water don't mix so our yearly trip to Gulf Shores has been cancelled.  May take you up on the offer down the road, though.

Last edited by Keith the Thief on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:51 pm 

Pipswich

Roll Tide Roll. I'm originally from Birmingham but live in Knoxville now. Glad to see another Alabama fan around. Where are you from?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm 

I'm from Huntsville, and aside from years of college in Birmingham & Tuscaloosa, I've lived here my whole life.  Birmingham is like a second hometown, though.  My wife is from Homewood.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:01 pm 

From B'ham too!  Lived all over though.  Seems to be a lot of gamers in AL, actually.  You guys could come down for Mobicon or CoastCon.  Both are fun.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:21 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I'm from Huntsville, and aside from years of college in Birmingham & Tuscaloosa, I've lived here my whole life.  Birmingham is like a second hometown, though.  My wife is from Homewood.

Did anyone in your family work at Redstone Arsenal by chance?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm 

Birmingham really has a lot of unique culture ... art, symphony, theater ... plus a ton of highly-educated people ... which usually translates into a decent number of gamers.

Huntsville doesn't have the arts the way Birmingham does, but we do have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of engineers ... which means a good gaming community, too.

We ain't quite as backerds down he-yar as folks been sayin'.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:26 pm 

misterspock wrote:
Did anyone in your family work at Redstone Arsenal by chance?

That's where I work.

And my mother is retired from the Missile Command.  My brother (now deceased) worked out there as well.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:08 pm 

This is around the bend from one of my favorite places in Huntsville

I'll bet you recognize it right away ...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:44 pm 

For those of you who haven't been to Huntsville, there's a really nice area called Monte Sano state park, which is up a small mountain, that has lots of hiking and stuff to do. There's also an observatory just around the side of those signs that we used to spend a lot of time at. For obvious reasons, it's even better at night  :)

Down the mountain in the main part of Huntsville is the Space and Rocket center, which is also a great place to visit.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 am 

Well, this is one of those "small world" kind of things.
I grew up on Monte Sano before moving downtown.  

I haven't been inside the observatory in years, but we do camp nearby sometimes when the Scouts have an outing.  The State Park is very undeveloped.  Critters like foxes, deer, coyotes and even the odd bobcat have started wandering back in.

My favorite part of Huntsville -- aside from the mountains -- is Twickenham, the antebellum downtown area.

Back in 1999, I got a tour of the original Twickenham while in London!

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:46 pm 

Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for this great site which I have been reading for a few years and which has really increased my knowledge of the original Dungeon and Dragons works.

It was this site that I found four years ago that made me look back at my old modules and which sparked an interest in building and maintaining a collection.  Although I have only a modest collection and would only consider myself a casual collector with moderate knowledge I am slowly increasing my collection and knowledge.

My main interests right now are to gather all the modules I can in original shrink wrap condition and finding first printings of the main rule books.

I live in a fairly remote location so this site and ebay have been great resources to help me get started  :D

Thanks again for this great site and for sharing your love and knowledge of D&D.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm 

Welcome!  Sounds like you have a good case of collectoritis coming on!  :P  Just take your time and get only what you want.  Figuring out what you really want is sometimes difficult and sometimes becomes a moving target (read:growing target).   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Figuring out what you really want is sometimes difficult and sometimes becomes a moving target (read:growing target).   :)

Well said.
Luckily, the folks on these forums are amazing knowledgable and can help you keep that moving target in focus.

Welcome

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:24 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Well said.
Luckily, the folks on these forums are amazing knowledgable and can help you keep that moving target in focus.

Welcome

Interesting.

I have never found membership in the Acaeum to be a good way to narrow my collecting focus.   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Interesting.

I have never found membership in the Acaeum to be a good way to narrow my collecting focus.   :lol:

I quite agree, but do you know what, if I had the money but had to choose one collection to follow.... I think I'd go for the Judges Guild. And I'd never even heard of that a couple of years ago!  :lol:  :oops:

And Welcome to the boards red_wizard!  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 am 

ashmire13 wrote:
I quite agree, but do you know what, if I had the money but had to choose one collection to follow.... I think I'd go for the Judges Guild. And I'd never even heard of that a couple of years ago!  :lol:  :oops:

And Welcome to the boards red_wizard!  :)

Collecting Judges Guild is how I found found the Acaeum.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 77 of 135123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 133134135