Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 135123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 pm 

Greetings Mister Spock - I'm referring to 1st prints.  But since I have hardly collected anything, I'm flexible to whatever people might have!

Are you referring to the $100 Monster Manual on EBAY?  Yeah, I thought that seemed overpriced.

I live in Sacramento, so I'm occasionally in the San Jose area for work or to visit a friend.  But there's always time to hit a good gaming store!

By the way, any good tips on collecting?

I.e.:
-Quantity vs. Quality - which is more important?  If you had $500, would you rather get one awesome product or 10-15 lesser products?  I supposed it varies.
-Completeness - do you prefer collecting complete sets of certain product lines, or just collect the items that most appeal to you?
-Usability.. do you like to actively read and use your collected items, or do you store them away in mylar to be untouched?

George

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 am 

Thanks for the painting tips.
I will surf the web for more stuff.
In this thread it is OK to stray for a few posts on other topics.
In fact, on this forum we tend to stray often and if it gets out of hand someone will say so.

gvaughn1 wrote: By the way, any good tips on collecting?

I.e.:
-Quantity vs. Quality - which is more important?  If you had $500, would you rather get one awesome product or 10-15 lesser products?  I supposed it varies.
-Completeness - do you prefer collecting complete sets of certain product lines, or just collect the items that most appeal to you?
-Usability.. do you like to actively read and use your collected items, or do you store them away in mylar to be untouched?

George
As for collecting advice.
As for each question you asked at the end?
There is no standard answer...

But it is easy enough in general.
Collect whatever YOU want to collect.
Whatever interests you at that time?
No other advice that I can give you will help you more than that.

What comes next?
If all I had was $500 and I wanted some items I could go through, read for a while and maybe even use in a game.
I would likely start with trying to obtain some mid-condition Adventure Modules.
Perhaps a single listing with several TSR Modules all in very good or better condition.
Something like that might run from $65 to $125 (possibly less or more), depending on conditions, which modules were in the lot, and how many.
If you can obtain a couple of those types of larger lots, you would have a decent start to your collection with just a few purchases.
BUT do not do that with overseas lots.
You will spend more on shipping than it would be worth in many cases and ask the US sellers of largeer lots to ship by Media Mail...
(I would of course never suggest doing that for expensive items though)

Another good thing about larger lots is that if anything in that lot does not interest you, you can re-list it and get some of the money back to use for buying something else later on.
MANY of us supplement our collecting habit (addiction) by enticing others to join us in the collecting habit (addiction) ...  :lol:  :twisted:

I like your classified ad with a wanted list.
That was an excellent idea for a start and you should get some responses soon from that post too.
I will look in my shelf for anything I might have that I can offer up for your collection.
Some of the items on that list will make your $500 leave your wallet very fast though.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 am 

Welcome George and good luck in your collecting!

As a quick OT for painting, I used 00 or finer sable brushes when I used to paint or you can pluck the hairs from the brush until you have just 1, if you wish.
I used to find GW acrylics were superb for everything, just watered a white down for undercoat and used an enamel lacquer/varnish (Airfix) to finish.
WD mags 78-90 (from memory) had excellent painting articles inc John Blanche :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:06 pm 

Hello all.

The infamous Thork N Hammer, Esquire, has finally managed to scale the walls of The Acaeum. I am here.

I'm an old fart, with very little hair left on my head, but lots of adventures under my belt (both as player and DM) and many more rioting to escape from my pen(I like to write adventures...go figure!)

So, I hope I don't incite any riots while I'm here.

See ya all 'round the boards.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm 

Thork N Hammer, Esquire wrote:The infamous Thork N Hammer, Esquire, has finally managed to scale the walls of The Acaeum. I am here.

Welcome, Thorkhammer!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:11 pm 

George and Robert, welcome to the sanctum!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:43 am 

hehe, thanks bbarsh, and JG.

I hope I don't step all over my tongue/er, keypad, here.
:lol:

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:00 am 

ashmire, bbarsh, and everyone else - thanks for the warm welcome!

George

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 am 

Hello everyone,
Some of you already know me, from ebay or private deals, as I've been quite an active collector for the past 10 years or so, especially in the nonTSR field.
For the others, I'm french, 40, I've started to play in the early 80s when AD&D was becoming popular in France, and stopped after the high school. Years later, in 2000 or 2001, I started collecting by coming across a D&D related auction on ebay. You've probably heard the same story a hundred times...

For various reasons, I've decided to part with my collection, and started to sell stuff since a few months. This may seems a strange time to choose to register on Acaeum, when I leave the hobby, but I've been contacted privately by collectors who were not aware of my sales until Mark recently posted a picture including some books purchased from me.

So you'll mostly see my posts in the 'Classifieds' section, but I thought an introduction was needed.

Christophe

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:49 am 

theshield2000 wrote:Hello everyone,
Some of you already know me, from ebay or private deals, as I've been quite an active collector for the past 10 years or so, especially in the nonTSR field.
For the others, I'm french, 40, I've started to play in the early 80s when AD&D was becoming popular in France, and stopped after the high school. Years later, in 2000 or 2001, I started collecting by coming across a D&D related auction on ebay. You've probably heard the same story a hundred times...

For various reasons, I've decided to part with my collection, and started to sell stuff since a few months. This may seems a strange time to choose to register on Acaeum, when I leave the hobby, but I've been contacted privately by collectors who were not aware of my sales until Mark recently posted a picture including some books purchased from me.

So you'll mostly see my posts in the 'Classifieds' section, but I thought an introduction was needed.

Christophe

Je m'appelle Christophe (dans le vrais monde) aussi, mais vous parlez Anglais beaucoup plus mieux que je parles Francais.  Bienvenue a la Acaeum!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am 

Christophe:

Je ne parle pas français, so I'll just say howdy.  And welcome.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am 

Thanks for the welcome !

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 pm 

Welcome and I'll watch your classifieds with interest, as a fellow European! :)
Shame you're parting with your collection, but hope you add to this community

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:48 pm 

gvaughn1 wrote:I live in Sacramento, so I'm occasionally in the San Jose area for work or to visit a friend.  But there's always time to hit a good gaming store!

By the way, I forgot the name of this store until I was just going through receipts. It's a shop in San Mateo called Gator Games.

Gator Games & Hobby Home Page

There's also a store in SF called Gamescape I remember one of the guys on the forum mentioning, but I've never bought from or been there before.

gamescapesf.net

There's another one in Berkeley called Games of Berkeley, and one in Oakland called Engames I saw listed on RPGnet, but I haven't been to those either.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:05 pm 

I can definitely vouch for Christophe is anyone is concerned from buying from a newly registered member.  In the past we've traded items, bought items from each other both on and off Ebay.  He's got some interesting stuff on Ebay right now too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 pm 

Welcome Christophe  :D

As Mars said, Christophe is a great person to deal with, and he knows many, many thing about cryptic RPG stuff.
He is in collecting for a long, long time and his collection is just incredible...

Good luck  :D

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm 

My name Is Rob Mccue, New to the site physically but not entirely unaware.  As I do not currently collect myself but rather am good friends with BURNTWIRE and have followed their endeavors for a very long time :).  I am more just the gamer at heart but definitely find what the brothers do interesting and commendable.  Securing the history of our beloved game!!!!!!!
     Anyway, hello all, I look forward to adventures to come.............

Night falls on us all,  so be wary,  ye who should tread that Darkness..............

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:15 pm 

Welcome to the site, Strahd.

Martin

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 135123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 133134135