Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 75 of 135123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm 

There is a ton of novels for Dragonlance, the gaming material should be an easier collection to grab in this instance.  But if you want any recommendations for some of their better novels that I've read just ask.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:15 am 

Hi guys, My name is Tom Im a 38 husband & dad of 2 young boys.
I am  a collector of First edition AD&D TSR modules & hardcovers ( so far...gulp) I have about 50 Mods / 20 Hardcovers. Multiple versions are creeping in which is scaring both me and my wife :)
I also have a small collection of Grenadier / Ral Partha & citadel pre slotta minis ( about 80) and would seriousely love to get my hands on some of those Otherworld beauties :)

Recent unforeseen health issues are forcing me to curb my collecting currently, but once things are back on track & money gets sorted again - which I am determined it will do!! _ ill be back on the horse BIG TIME... I havent had so much fun in years _ i love finding the missing pieces of the puzzle, rebuilding the gaming set we used to have.

Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets but the old school Oe stuff always makes me wish i could afford it. :)

Im not a SW or Rares collector - simply cant afford that stuff.  F,VF-NM  is the bulk of my collection.
I started to collect about 14 months ago - when my old gaming gear reappeared after about 24 years in a box in my sisters roof.  A light went on!!!

I live in Regional Victoria in australia. I've managed to get a gaming group together of like minded 30-40 YO dads here  who played back in the early eighties - like I did. we play every 3 weeks in my shed while D&D widows drink wine and eat the good cheese in the warmth & comfort of the house..lol

having the time of my life DMing again. Just wanted to say congratulations to everyone on such a passionate and vibrant forum. I look forward to getting to know you guys , hopefully helping some of you and learning about the finer points of the hobby.
cheers
Tom

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am 

bizb wrote:Hi guys, My name is Tom Im a 38 husband & dad of 2 young boys.

Welcome to the Acaeum Tom!  Hope you enjoy your stay.

bizb wrote:Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets

That is what I used to say.

bizb wrote:Im not a SW or Rares collector - simply cant afford that stuff.

I used to say that too.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 am 

Welcome Tom.
Agree with what KoP said.
Most of us used to say that stuff too. :lol:

Good luck with keeping to your plan.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am 

Welcome Tom,
I take it the boys are still to young to play D&D?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 am 

[quote="bizb"]
... I havent had so much fun in years _ i love finding the missing pieces of the puzzle, rebuilding the gaming set we used to have.

Welcome Tom. Don't be surprised if the "puzzle" gets larger, as most of us have discovered it can when we discover pieces missing that we didn't know were there in the first place! Or knew were there, but always wanted.
<gulp>

Tom also wrote:
Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets but the old school Oe stuff always makes me wish i could afford it. :)

"Not really interested" yet. Some of those interesting, missing pieces have a disturbing tendency to also show up in other editions ... !
<wink>
Your passion for collecting and DMing puts you in good company here.
Welcome again, Tom.

Gary

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:57 pm 

bizb wrote:having the time of my life DMing again.
Tom

:salut:    PDT_Armataz_01_37  :salut:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:03 am 

thanks for those warm welcomes & wary warnings. Im sure it wont be long before you are saying "Told ya' so!"
& Yes Shane, my boys are 2 and a half Yrs & 6 months respectively, Jude my eldest asked to play last friday and has smuggled a few minis into his room, so I dont think Im going to have much trouble getting him hooked when the time comes - His imagination could power a small city ;0

cheers again
Tom

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am 

Welcome Tom, you sound very much along the lines of me, and just recently (after a couple of years trying not to) I've started to increase what I own and pick up interesting items highlighted by the guys here!  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 am 

formcritic wrote:Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home

ashmire13 wrote:
Now that's something I'm still looking to pick up and keep missing on ebay, so you can wait your turn on that one...  :wink:  :P

Fill your boots on that one now Phi, I just picked a copy up for 99p!  :lol:  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hello everyone.

My name is Eric. Finally registered for the forums after visiting and contributing to this site since 2000-ish. I'm even thanked in the credits :)

Have been collecting games since the early 1980s and playing since the 1970s. Got into wargaming in 1976 and AD&D in 1979. Have a fairly extensive AD&D 1st ed collection, amongst many things. When magazines are included, I have over 3000 separate publications (excluding individual packs of cards and individual miniatures), but that includes rpgs, board games, miniatures and even a few collectable games.

Yes, I'm addicted.

My latest project has been helping wavemotion and several others with rpg.geekdo.com. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm pleased to see this site still going strong after all these years. Though I probably will only post occasionally, I'll be reading frequently.

Thanks all,

Eric

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:59 pm 

Welcome/welcome back, Eric.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:08 am 

Hi Eric! Great collection size.

Please tell me you are the original Cleric!  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm 

Hi everyone, I wanted to introduce myself.  I'm George and I live in California.  I'm a 41-year old man that still wants to feverishly capture my youth!

I got introduced to RPG's in the late '70's with the 1977 boxed set, followed by AD&D 1e, followed by "other RPGS," such as Arduin and Gamma World.

I really enjoy collecting things, although my wife's impassioned disinterest in my collection keeps it somewhat in check.  :)

Over the past couple years, I developed a pretty decent collection of Micronauts, remember the interchangeable robotic toys from the '70's and '80's?  They were my favorite toy as a child.  Baron Karza and Force Commander bring back fond memories!

I would now love to embark upon a D&D collection.  I have such fond memories of my playing days, and it just makes my heart feel good (no other way to put it) to hold a vintage Monster Manual in my hands..

My other hobby that I've devoted extensive time to the past couple years is collecting and painting minis (exclusively Lord of the Rings).

Only other interesting "factoid" is that my middle name is Aragorn.  So, yes, my parents were Tolkien fanatics.  (Although I recognize that the creators of D&D say they weren't particularly influenced by Tolkien).

Now I have two questions:
1) Why does it seem like every EBAY posting either (a) goes for about twice the price that is listed in the Acaeum site, OR (b) is very beaten up?

2) The only way I could register for this site is through my work email - which isn't ideal.  But my only other sites are gmail, hotmail, and yahoo mail.  And Acaeum wouldn't let me register with these web-based mail.  The instructions say to use a "personal" email.  Does anyone have an example of what is meant by a "personal" email?

Thanks!
George
:D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 pm 

WELCOME to the Acaeum George!

Second question first:
I am registered here using my Yahoo E-Mail address.
When I registered it was the free version, though now I have the pay version of Yahoo Mail.
I have no clue why hotmail, g-mail or Yahoo would not work for you.

And as to your previous question?
They use a very complex coin flipping method I think...  8O

NO NOT REALLY!   :lol:
I have only a little idea but here you go...
I think the sites valuation board takes great pains to wait for short term swings and trends to level out to a more steady-long term value for sales.
That I think gives the board a more realistic valuation for TSR Items and it aint all based on E-Bay sales either.
Private sales and sales from other auction sites than E-Bay and even other RPG sales sites (Like http://rpgmarketplace.com/) also play a hand (I think).

OK...
Now a few questions for you.
Have any advice for a rookie miniature painter?
What paint type to use?
How to prep raw metal minis for painting?
How to get into those TINY places that all the small minis have and my brush wont reach?
How to make the paint STAY on them after your done?
Some sort of clear spray on coating I assume?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 pm 

Thanks for the info - and nice to virtually meet you!

As for your questions (and someone let me know if I'm straying from the topic at hand):
1) Advice for rookie painter: use the web, you can get a lot of excellent tips & techniques!  Also, use good paints and water them down a bit so they will run into the cracks/creases better.  Make sure you use a good primer.  I personally use black primer because I can let the primer act as borderlines and shading in certain cases.

2) I personally like to use Vallejo paints.  I like the dropper bottles and the color choices.  (I find GW paints to be a bit "garish")

3) To prep raw metals, clip off any extra bits, then file down any rough edges, then wash them in mild, sudsy, warm water, and then prime them.

4) To get into TINY places, either use a TINY brush  :D  or use slightly watered down paint and let it "flow" into the nooks.  This takes practice.

5)  To make the paint stay, I use a Matte spray primer.  Just make sure you spray completely out of the wind, otherwise the wind will clump up your spray and get clumpy bits on your mini.  I use GW matte spray, but I'm sure any brand would work fine.

I don't want to engender ill will by getting too far off topic, so let me know if I should be messaging you instead - since this isn't a collectorish topic.

Geo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:20 pm 

Welcome to the Acaeum, George.

My two-cents' worth of answers:

eBay Price Variation:  Generally speaking, eBay prices are highly variable. The prices of rare (i.e., expensive) items tend to be more stable and trend upward or downward.  The Acaeum price guide is updated, but it is not updated with great frequency.  And funky equations are used to weight prices, so the Acaeum price guide is not a straight average of sale prices.

eBay Quality: Some eBay sellers actually used their RPG books!  Other sellers buy from thrift stores, used bookstores, estate sales, etc.

E-mail Address: I registered here with a Yahoo! e-mail address, but that was a while ago.   You can change your e-mail address by clicking on the "Profile" link in the menu at the top of each web page.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:05 pm 

Hi, I saw your post in the classifieds, but I was wondering whether you're looking for the manuals as actual first prints, or 1st editions.

From time to time we post items we see on Ebay in the "Interesting Items Currently on Ebay" thread. For instance, there is a 1st print of the Monster Manual that we've seen on Ebay currently, but there's a general consensus it's overpriced right now, especially in its condition.

Where are you located in California btw? There's a couple of gaming stores I could point you to in southern California (Los Angeles and Ventura) and another one towards San Jose.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 75 of 135123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 133134135