Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 74 of 135123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 133134135
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 pm 

Thanks for the correction Gnat the Beggar. You are right B2 Keep on the Borderlands and it looks like a 3rd - 6th print. Must have been one that came with the Basic Set 'Red Box'.

Thaks for the welcome everyone, forgot to also mention that I'm a big collector of most things from the Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon series. I have about 6 AD&D coloring books as well, wonder if there are more?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:44 am 

LordJR wrote:Greetings...Name: Jon Ray  Location: Arizona, USA  Age: 36 I've been playing since 1986 starting with AD&D for my 13th birthday. Later I went back and got all the box sets for the basic D&D from Red Basic up to Immortal/God box. Currently, a 4e D&D DM. Collection wise, I recently found out I have a B3 Keep on the Borderlands in poor condition, that I bought at a garage sell back in the 1990s. I'm also a big collector of the Endless Quest D&D book series. Non-TSR related I collect the Wizard, Warrior, and You books. These are both choose-your-own-adventure style books. Non-TSR boardgame wise, my prized collection is the old HeroQuest with 2 expansions. Mostly here look to buy, but I also have a few extras of things to sell.

Welcome, as well! We had a post somewhere some months back about the cartoon series and the distinction between the European boxset and the one that was released in the U.S. (sometimes not the orig music for the U.S. version), if you're a purist like some of us  :D . Where in AZ are you by the way? Bookman's usually has a decent collection of D&D items the last several times I've been to their stores. (Not sure about the one up in Flag, though).

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 am 

Howdy folks,

I'm Andrew, 20 years of age (I'm young!), and have decided recently to start a collection. When I was about 7 I was introduced to D&D by a friend, but in truth never really thought of it again until high school, where I occasionally read some books, but never found a group to play with. :(
The past three or four days I've been lurking around here, clicking waiting for replies, and lurking around ebay looking at deals, so I decided I might as well register. The truth is that I'm lost at the values of things, and am too scared to ask sometimes (Is this sealed $12 Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn worth it, etc.).
In regards to not having played much (and thus nostalgia is only in feelings for the game, and not really playing), I believe I hit a group that I can join in a couple of weeks. :D

So, here's to long nights looking for modules, sets, and sourcebooks. :)

(For anybody caring, my collection I'm hoping to start with DragonLance, moving on to Forgotten Realms (eesh!), and then I'll see where my mind is at.)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am 

Welcome & I'm sure the guys here will be more than helpful at giving advice on values, the Appraisal thread is excellent for that.

The main Index pages should give you a fair shout on whats a good price too, but (as I have done oh so often) ask here and someone will nail the price down for you to within a few bucks normally!  :lol:

Good luck on starting that collection   8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 am 

Welcome to the Acaeum Andrew.  Its kind of surprising and refreshing that someone your age has an interest in collecting the older stuff.  My 20 year old niece likes Pink Floyd and my 15 year old nephew likes The Beatles.  Go figure.  :)

Dont be afraid to ask about the value of something, but please take a bit of time to search around for what might have already been posted.  You will find threads covering just about everything.

Dragonlance is one of the easier groups to collect.  There are a couple of tough ones to pick up (DL11 Dragons of Glory, mini-module compilations) but you should have a pretty easy time of it.  Hardest thing to do is make sure of the completeness.  Lots of maps and inserts in those modules.  This website is probably the best place to find out what contains what:

This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

Happy hunting!  And remember to be patient.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:  My 20 year old niece likes Pink Floyd and my 15 year old nephew likes The Beatles.

Hey, nothing wrong with that, I've got my 6year old loving both! Regularly find him singing 'Hey Jude' and 'Comfortably Numb' around the house...  :D

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Welcome to the Acaeum Andrew.  Its kind of surprising and refreshing that someone your age has an interest in collecting the older stuff.  My 20 year old niece likes Pink Floyd and my 15 year old nephew likes The Beatles.  Go figure.  :)

Dont be afraid to ask about the value of something, but please take a bit of time to search around for what might have already been posted.  You will find threads covering just about everything.

At least these kids like good music, and not the crap coming out these days... :wink:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 am 

Welcome, Andrew.

Are you collecting any particular era of Dragonlance?  For instance, are you interested in the original module series or is your interest in the related materials, like Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home?

Or, are you collecting all of it, including the D20 third party Dragonlance materials?

Are you collecting the novels as well?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Welcome, Andrew.
like Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home?

Now that's something I'm still looking to pick up and keep missing on ebay, so you can wait your turn on that one...  :wink:  :P

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Welcome, Andrew.

Are you collecting any particular era of Dragonlance?  For instance, are you interested in the original module series or is your interest in the related materials, like Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home?

Or, are you collecting all of it, including the D20 third party Dragonlance materials?

....because if you are, Mark (formcritic) will gladly sell you all of it for $10 (it ain't worth much more than that)! :lol:

Welcome to the acaeum!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:My 20 year old niece likes Pink Floyd and my 15 year old nephew likes The Beatles. Go figure.
Hardest thing to do is make sure of the completeness. Lots of maps and inserts in those modules. This website is probably the best place to find out what contains what:

I don't know how much it would surprise you to know that Pink Floyd is my favorite band, but it is.
And thanks! I was looking up that site late last night and I noticed how thick the books are due to the abundance of inserts. I'll do my best to be patient. ;)

FormCritic wrote:Are you collecting any particular era of Dragonlance?

I'm interested in what I consider to be all of it, including some of the D20 materials (as far as what I'm starting to collect, I'm basing my list off of this man's wonderful site).
I also plan on collecting/reading the novels, and from what I can tell (and as confirmed by bbarsh), they're quite cheap :D

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:41 pm 

Not to everyones taste, but I loved the books. Raistlin Majere is quite possibly my top character in fantasy fiction. Along with The Luggage....  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm 

There is a ton of novels for Dragonlance, the gaming material should be an easier collection to grab in this instance.  But if you want any recommendations for some of their better novels that I've read just ask.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:15 am 

Hi guys, My name is Tom Im a 38 husband & dad of 2 young boys.
I am  a collector of First edition AD&D TSR modules & hardcovers ( so far...gulp) I have about 50 Mods / 20 Hardcovers. Multiple versions are creeping in which is scaring both me and my wife :)
I also have a small collection of Grenadier / Ral Partha & citadel pre slotta minis ( about 80) and would seriousely love to get my hands on some of those Otherworld beauties :)

Recent unforeseen health issues are forcing me to curb my collecting currently, but once things are back on track & money gets sorted again - which I am determined it will do!! _ ill be back on the horse BIG TIME... I havent had so much fun in years _ i love finding the missing pieces of the puzzle, rebuilding the gaming set we used to have.

Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets but the old school Oe stuff always makes me wish i could afford it. :)

Im not a SW or Rares collector - simply cant afford that stuff.  F,VF-NM  is the bulk of my collection.
I started to collect about 14 months ago - when my old gaming gear reappeared after about 24 years in a box in my sisters roof.  A light went on!!!

I live in Regional Victoria in australia. I've managed to get a gaming group together of like minded 30-40 YO dads here  who played back in the early eighties - like I did. we play every 3 weeks in my shed while D&D widows drink wine and eat the good cheese in the warmth & comfort of the house..lol

having the time of my life DMing again. Just wanted to say congratulations to everyone on such a passionate and vibrant forum. I look forward to getting to know you guys , hopefully helping some of you and learning about the finer points of the hobby.
cheers
Tom

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am 

bizb wrote:Hi guys, My name is Tom Im a 38 husband & dad of 2 young boys.

Welcome to the Acaeum Tom!  Hope you enjoy your stay.

bizb wrote:Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets

That is what I used to say.

bizb wrote:Im not a SW or Rares collector - simply cant afford that stuff.

I used to say that too.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 am 

Welcome Tom.
Agree with what KoP said.
Most of us used to say that stuff too. :lol:

Good luck with keeping to your plan.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am 

Welcome Tom,
I take it the boys are still to young to play D&D?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 am 

[quote="bizb"]
... I havent had so much fun in years _ i love finding the missing pieces of the puzzle, rebuilding the gaming set we used to have.

Welcome Tom. Don't be surprised if the "puzzle" gets larger, as most of us have discovered it can when we discover pieces missing that we didn't know were there in the first place! Or knew were there, but always wanted.
<gulp>

Tom also wrote:
Not really interested in 2e onward - or the later box sets but the old school Oe stuff always makes me wish i could afford it. :)

"Not really interested" yet. Some of those interesting, missing pieces have a disturbing tendency to also show up in other editions ... !
<wink>
Your passion for collecting and DMing puts you in good company here.
Welcome again, Tom.

Gary

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 74 of 135123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 133134135