Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 64 of 135123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:06 am 

Pipswich wrote:Also, my wife played in the early 80's with her brother.  Apparently, her mother bought a whole stack of OCE's and modules on sale at the px and they used them as birthday gifts for friends for a couple of years.  

Great story, Pip, and welcome!  FYI, there's a 1st print woodie for sale over at rpgmarketplace.com.  It's been floating there like a bloated carcass for a year or so, only slightly picked over by the gulls and nibbler-fish, the blood trail having long ago washed out.  Sail on out and sink your harpoon into it before the tax returns start rolling in!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm 

Howdy, Y'all!

I'm John and I'm a gamer!  :wink:

I've been posting on this site for some time, but never introduced myself.

Started playing D&D in 1979 with the Holmes Basic Set and moved over to the AD&D rules shortly after. Played for a few years and then went into the service (U.S. Navy). Took a long hiatus because I couldn't find a decent group to play with in the service and college took up a lot of my time (I was a non-traditional student and grades were most important at that time). I played off & on for a few years, mid-90's, and took another major hiatus (marriage & family). Then in 2003, a guy named Gary Gygax invited me over to try a newer game he was working on - Lejendary Adventures. Who was I to say "no"? So, I was a part of his Thursday Night gaming crew for six years and had the pleasure of playtesting his Hall of Many Panes. I strongly suggest you play the adventure with LA rules only, it just doesn't work any other way - at least from what I've seen and heard. He was also nice enough to run us through the first three levels of Castle Greyhawk and one sub-level before his health issues developed.

With Gary's passing, I've been idle from gaming. But, it sounds like we're getting the group back together and trying to get Jim Ward to stop over when he can, should be fun.

Also, as you can see, I've been helping Jim Holloway with his website and selling a few of his old pieces of artwork from the TSR days! If you have any questions on the availability of any of the artwork, I'm the guy you need to query.

Thanks to all involved for putting up an awesome website. It's helped me track down some items that needed replacing after I had misplaced things over the years.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hello everyone!

My name is Brian and I've been playing D&D in various versions since Feb of '79. I was a junior in H.S. and a friend called me up and invited me over to check out a new game he bought. It was the Holmes set and I was hooked (First character: Cleric - Mulgar the Merciful).   I've collected off and on throughout the years, buying and selling. My current obsession is Greyhawk and acquiring all the modules, sets, etc.  

Hadn't played for about the past 10 years due to work and kids, but my oldest is 12 and I've been collecting a complete set of 1st Ed. hardbacks to present to him on his birthday this year (he may get them before that, but don't tell my wife!).  He has been begging me to play so we have delved into the pre-painted minis and made up our own rules and now is little brother (9) is interested too! Ahh, the joys of geekdom!

Anyway, the Acaeum is a wonderful resource and I use it all the time.  I will ask stupid questions so be prepared!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 am 

Hey! Welcome aboard, Brian.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 am 

Hello Brian

bujoojoo wrote:I will ask stupid questions so be prepared!

You kidding me, we live for this stuff here.  Allows some of us to look smart/knowledgeable. :study:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:16 am 

Welcome to the monkey house, Brian!  :D

John, it is awesome to hear your official introduction... you make me terribly jealous of your experiences.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am 

Hi everyone! A long time lurker, I've finally managed to stumbled across from Dragonsfoot and sign my self up.

My name is Jesse and I've been playing D&D/RPGs for around 20 years. I haven't played over-the-table for quite a while, but I've been fairly active online. Among other things I helped Richard Tongue produce OD&DITIES for a while (as well as play in his old online Classic D&D Pelinore campaign) and until recently I ran an online 2E campaign, which I sadly had to end due to conflicting 'real life' commitments. Um, I'm 33. My Mentzer Basic Set is the scanned copy of the Australian Edition here at The Acaeum. The main focus of my collecting is the 'core' items from each version of D&D, as well as numerous other titles and RPGs that have caught my interest over the years. My most recent acquisitions were the 5th printing of the OD&D "white box" set and 2E sourcebook Taladas: The Minotaurs. I like beer. Um, I think I'm running out of things to say now...  :wink:

ImageImage

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:33 am 

Welcome on board!! :D

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:22 pm 

Another familiar face from DF!  :D  Hey there, Classicdnd!  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:35 am 

Hi all,

My name is Tom, and I've only recently stumbled onto the repository of gaming knowledge also known as the Acaeum.

I'm 42, and I've been a gamer most of my life. My brother introduced me to chess, Panzer Leader, Star Fleet Battles, and eventually D&D. I was fortunate enough to be included in D&D sessions with my brother's friends, who are still my oldest and best friends, as well as my D&D cronies - we've been gaming on and off for almost 30 years.

I spent almost 20 years in the console/PC gaming field, which was pretty fun to say the least. I reached my professional geek zenith in 2000, when I was hired by WoTC. I worked with wonderful people like Jason Carl, James Wyatt, Sean K Reynolds, and Rich Baker. That gig only lasted a little over a year - curse you, Hasbro!

Collecting-wise, I'm mainly a minis guy. I still have most of my original books, modules, etc. along with a few random treasures like a near-mint first edition copy of ICE's The Iron Wind, and a mostly colored-in copy of The Official AD&D Coloring Album. My brother and I did the coloring, and since his passing a few years back, it's now a small reminder of time well spent gaming together.

I hope to pass along the joys of gaming to my three children. I think we're off to a good start!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 am 

Hey guys welcome aboard!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 am 

Yes, welcome to Acaeum!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:56 am 

Katchoo wrote:Another familiar face from DF!  :D  Hey there, Classicdnd!  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Howdy Kat! :)

Nice to see so many DFers spreading their influence, er ... so many DFers actively participanting in D&D fora. ;)

Cheers all.

ImageImage

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 pm 

Hi Guys,

My name is Ed (I go by Arthnek around the web in D&D land) and I am a long time table top rpg player.

I am another migrant from DF.  (Hi everyone.)

Among other things I do traditional (no computer) black and white inked artwork on bristol for a growing number of projects both paid and volunteer.  I have some magazine covers coming up, some module covers and lots of interior artwork pieces I've done for everything from my own rpg books to retro clone rules (Osric, Swords and Wizardry) to a couple of ezines (Footprints, Knockspell and hopefully soon Fight On).

So you guys think there might be an interest in people wanting to buy the original pieces?  I usually wind up with a stack of art at the end of each month which I plan to table at Gen Con, Indie in 2010 (my first table ever).

Curious Arthneks want to know.  :D

Ed

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:27 pm 

Arthnek wrote:Hi Guys,

My name is Ed (I go by Arthnek around the web in D&D land) and I am a long time table top rpg player.

I am another migrant from DF.  (Hi everyone.)

Among other things I do traditional (no computer) black and white inked artwork on bristol for a growing number of projects both paid and volunteer.  I have some magazine covers coming up, some module covers and lots of interior artwork pieces I've done for everything from my own rpg books to retro clone rules (Osric, Swords and Wizardry) to a couple of ezines (Footprints, Knockspell and hopefully soon Fight On).

So you guys think there might be an interest in people wanting to buy the original pieces?  I usually wind up with a stack of art at the end of each month which I plan to table at Gen Con, Indie in 2010 (my first table ever).

Curious Arthneks want to know.  :D

Ed

Hello Ed, welcome!

I think there is interest in original artwork. You should scan a few piece, put them up in the classifieds, and see if there are any offers.  Good Luck!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:31 pm 

Ack!   I just realized I never made an introduction!

My name is Matt and I am a 27 year old disabled veteran.  I have been into D&D since a very young age and recall playing since around 6.  My older brother is a freelance game designer and has many credits to his name lately in the D&D world (Brian R. James).  Ever since I was wounded in Iraq several years ago, I have decided to pursue less violent hobbies and decided to start collecting old D&D relics (1st Ed and earlier).  Since then I have mounted a very respectable collection and I am always on the look out for great deals.  One day, I would love to get my hands on a Woodgrain box but it seems the prices will only get steeper- but alas I will see my goal completed!

Anyways, great group of people we have here and I am honored be be amongst such fellow collectors

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 pm 

Eruantien wrote:Ack!   I just realized I never made an introduction!

A belated welcome to you: Welcome to the Acaeum.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:04 pm 

Hi all,

I've only just registered with this site, although I've lurked for a while. I've never used ebay before, although I have followed some of the links posted in various threads to look at item prices.

I'm Julian. I'm in my 30s. I got into roleplaying in the early 80s.
I bought my first 1E PH from Ian Livingstone at a convention/games fair in London, and got the book signed by Ian and Steve Jackson at that event. (I wish I'd thought to take my Fighting Fantasy books, as well!) At the same event I bought the First Quest vinyl album; and if it was at that one that I could have picked up Up The Garden Path, I'll be mildly miffed! LOL
I sold all my 1e adventures in the last year of secondary school for £30 to someone, regretted it a week later, then discovered the git had sold them on. (Sigh.) Well, I've kept most of my RPG stuff in as good a condition as I could, so most of it is near mint. Between 91-96 I lost interest in (A)D&D, and got into the White Wolf stuff. When Birthright was introduced, I returned to AD&D, and started collecting stuff I missed then. I also collected some non-TSR/WotC stuff.
I had all the White Wolf stuff up until around 2000, then lent it all to a friend of mine while he was running a campaign. Eventually (when expecting the birth of his first child), he gave all the WW books to his LGS because the owner told him that the books weren't worth anything. [rolls eyes] (We're still friends, but there wasn't a lot I could do about it!)
The last time I actually ran or played in a regular game was the early 00's, and my interest has been waning since then, increasingly so since the death of the print versions of the Paizo mags and all the crap that's followed since. I did pick up the 4e books on the day of release, but returned them two days later, having had the chance to look through them; not for me! The only thing gaming-wise I do buy now is Pathfinder books.
Most fun books I own: Probably my (unread) Pathfinder Beta signed by Jason Bulmahn (author), Erik Mona (publisher), and Wayne Reynolds (cover artist), and the Pathfinder Campaign setting book signed by the same trio, plus Josh Frost and Rob McCreary.

I've noticed that I live in the same town as Killjoy32.

Well, I hope the above is entertaining (in a good way!) to people.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 64 of 135123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 133134135