Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 60 of 135123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:40 pm 

Hi - Welcome kamawell!

If you  are worried about getting carried away....worry no more!  It will happen no matter what.  :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Hi - Welcome kamawell!

If you  are worried about getting carried away....worry no more!  It will happen no matter what.  :D

indeed - everyone starts with good intention, then you just see something else you have to have, then another, then another etc :)

welcome to the site!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm 

kamawell wrote:Hi everyone

I've been lurking here for a while but finally spurred into posting after spotting an auction of mine being discussed :D
Been playing since the late 70's and I'm getting the urge to reacquire some of that 1e stuff I've lost over the years.  I'm a little worried about getting carried away - I know that my collecting tedancy is strong, though I try to fight it and keep it under control!

When it comes to playing I'll give anything a try - currently rather keen on WFRP and Heroquest.  I might even give 4e a look (wasn't at all keen on 3/3.5) just to see what they've done with it!

Andy

You should be worried about getting carried away, I just started back into the AD&D scence in January, I have been going a little ebay crazy, bought more stuff in the last couple months than i did in my entire life. And that includes Christmas as a kid, :o but hey, it makes me happy. Welcome aboard!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 pm 

Hello Bracton and Kamawell.  Welcome to the forums.

Once I showed up at this site three years ago, I suddenly went on a buying spree myself.  A bit more selective nowadays but that's because I already have a great deal of stuff.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:24 am 

Hi Bracton and Kamawell!

Don't worry about getting carried away - we all gave up that vow long ago.

You should be able to save a bit simply by not getting sucked into a 'newbie war' for an item, as on this site you'll generally see how often an item might come up for sale.

The downside is you'll spend a hundred times what you save because you'll find out how much stuff you don't have :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm 

Welcome aboard Bracton and Kamawell!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 am 

Welcome, Brat and Cromwell!
You might want to start by defining exactly what you want to collect. Try to resist the urge to add maniacally to the list, and you'll save a bunch.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 pm 

Welcome to you both,

I'm still kinda new here too, but went buying up loads of old stuff for a while.

I thought I'd get back into playing again, but it hasnt really taken off yet, so now I just try and pick up a few interesting items or rare ones that will be good to read and have a look through.

Anyway, enjoy the site    :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:56 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Welcome, Brat and Cromwell!
You might want to start by defining exactly what you want to collect. Try to resist the urge to add maniacally to the list, and you'll save a bunch.

That's the rub, eh?  "One of everything" isn't all that realistic, unfortunately.  The stuff on this site is incredibly helpful.  I've been playing for 25 years, and attending GenCon auctions almost as long.  But I never really looked at collecting in such a carefully thought out way.  It's amazing how much is out there.

Anyway, now just to figure out what I really want . . . .

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:02 pm 

Naw, just do what I do: write it all down, and send it to everyone you know. :) Someone will find something on the list.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 pm 

Bracton wrote:
That's the rub, eh?  "One of everything" isn't all that realistic, unfortunately.  The stuff on this site is incredibly helpful.  I've been playing for 25 years, and attending GenCon auctions almost as long.  But I never really looked at collecting in such a carefully thought out way.  It's amazing how much is out there.

Anyway, now just to figure out what I really want . . . .

Of course, that is the problem.  What I really want is everything.  :evil:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Of course, that is the problem.  What I really want is everything.  

Ain't that the truth.  I think I expand my want list every time I search ebay!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 pm 

Hello all.

Hm, I've been lurking for a few days--it seems like a common trait.  I have to say, I love reading the forums and I was surprised how friendly and helpful everyone is to the newbies.  

I started playing back in 75/76, and kept up until version 3.5 when I had to tap out and admit defeat.  I've Played everything from T&T, Role-Master/MERP, Paranoia, COC to Amber, but D&D ( all right I'll write AD&D from now on, but I still think of it as D&D) is still my first love.

As for my collection it varies, but my favourite items are the Realms newsletters I used to receive from Ed Greenwood when I worked at my local library( in Toronto, in my early teens ).  It's not the content, just the great memories, and he was very kind to me when my life took a rather nasty turn.

Unfortunately, I have to sell a few items, but aside from Dragon and Dungeon Magazines (I wonder if anyone wants Shadis Magazines...I wonder why I kept them...? ), I dread letting anything go.  So I'm here to listen, learn, and force myself to sell.  Sigh.

That said I'm on a mission to replace my TOEE!  A simple enough purchase (along with some other modules), but I'm hanging out in the nostalgia-lounge these days, and need to get that module, find a great DM and run through it one more time:)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:59 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

Nice 1st post, but tell me more about Ed Greenwood, I'm a FR fan!

Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 am 

Welcome Paul

You know I've never heard a bad word about Ed.  Like very few others, he seems to be one of the "good guys" in FRPGs!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 am 

Thanks, both.  That's very kind of you.

Yes, Ed is one, "good guys."  I remember during and after the Realms hit--he was writing non-stop for TSR--he never stopped hosting a game for the kids at the library.  Amazing when you think of it:  he probably could have quit the job by 1984/5, left the kids to play on their own, and stayed hidden away, but he just kept up with everything.  Every month or so I'd look in my mailbox at the library and there would be my copy of the Realms newsletter with updates and even Realms trivia!  It's the little things I remember most:  I still have the clipboard he game me to, "write my ideas on."  I've never stopped.

His campaigns were, obviously, astounding.  Yes, I think it is his ability to help out other gamers with ideas, articles, campaigns, character development, you name it, that sets him apart.   He never had a bad word to say about an idea, no matter how silly.

One of my regrets is, I think it was 1984, that I didn't go down to Gen-Con with him, his partner, and a few others.  They had the mini-van list all ready, and at the last minute I had to bail.   Sad, but considering he was "the" man at TSR at that moment the invitation was very kind, and I'm sure there are many gamers out there who would have killed to be in that position.

I grew up in a nearby neighbourhood to Ed, and there is a park--Wilket Creek Park (and one has to include the wedding-trampled Edward's Gardens) and I know he drew inspiration from those woods, the water, the feel of the place.  It has its own magic.  If you're ever in the neighbourhood, take a walkthrough:  It's just a pleasant walk to most, but if you're a Realms fan....

To this day I'm sure I can spot places (corners I should write) in the Realms--on an October evening when the trees are black against a grey and pale yellow-streaked sky, the leaves crackle under foot, you'll be drawn down to the water's edge, and you'll swear you can smell the burning tobacco from a pipe.

Yep, loads of fun.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:15 am 

PaulKM wrote:Thanks, both.  That's very kind of you.

Yes, Ed is one, "good guys."  I remember during and after the Realms hit--he was writing non-stop for TSR--he never stopped hosting a game for the kids at the library.  Amazing when you think of it:  he probably could have quit the job by 1984/5, left the kids to play on their own, and stayed hidden away, but he just kept up with everything.  Every month or so I'd look in my mailbox at the library and there would be my copy of the Realms newsletter with updates and even Realms trivia!  It's the little things I remember most:  I still have the clipboard he game me to, "write my ideas on."  I've never stopped.

His campaigns were, obviously, astounding.  Yes, I think it is his ability to help out other gamers with ideas, articles, campaigns, character development, you name it, that sets him apart.   He never had a bad word to say about an idea, no matter how silly.

One of my regrets is, I think it was 1984, that I didn't go down to Gen-Con with him, his partner, and a few others.  They had the mini-van list all ready, and at the last minute I had to bail.   Sad, but considering he was "the" man at TSR at that moment the invitation was very kind, and I'm sure there are many gamers out there who would have killed to be in that position.

I grew up in a nearby neighbourhood to Ed, and there is a park--Wilket Creek Park (and one has to include the wedding-trampled Edward's Gardens) and I know he drew inspiration from those woods, the water, the feel of the place.  It has its own magic.  If you're ever in the neighbourhood, take a walkthrough:  It's just a pleasant walk to most, but if you're a Realms fan....

To this day I'm sure I can spot places (corners I should write) in the Realms--on an October evening when the trees are black against a grey and pale yellow-streaked sky, the leaves crackle under foot, you'll be drawn down to the water's edge, and you'll swear you can smell the burning tobacco from a pipe.

Yep, loads of fun.

Great story, pass up a road trip with Ed Greenwood 8O  :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 am 

hey paul!

welcome to the forum chummer....

man, life is built on great experiences. to miss a road-trip like that??!!! sheesh you better have a good excuse there man.

one thing i have learnt over the years, is to never pass up great opportunities like that. now, i would literally just drop everything to do something like that, no matter what. them are one-off lifetime experiences.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 60 of 135123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 133134135