Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 58 of 135123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm 

Iluvatar wrote:...refreshing & brutal at the same time.

Those are two of our watchwords here, so I think you'll fit right it.  Welcome!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:
Those are two of our watchwords here, so I think you'll fit right it.  Welcome!

Thank you very much! :)

M. Parthes
FINDNPLAY.COM

"PC's are like snowflakes; Ephemeral things destined to vanish very shortly after their creation."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 pm 

Hi. Been lurking for a little while, thought I'd take a gamble and post and say 'hello'

I'm in Cambridge in the UK, late 30's, played a ton of D&D and RPGs up until college and then let life get in the way.

Rediscovered D&D and gaming a few years ago and happy playing the 3.5 version. I'm not planning to move to 4e, and I'm now taking the time to buy up the 'classics' I missed (or owned and sold/lost) from the 1e/2e days - mainly modules and Dark Sun and Al-Qadim at the moment.

Anyway, thats me - Hi.

"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

crazy_cat wrote:Hi. Been lurking for a little while, thought I'd take a gamble and post and say 'hello'

I'm in Cambridge in the UK, late 30's, played a ton of D&D and RPGs up until college and then let life get in the way.

Rediscovered D&D and gaming a few years ago and happy playing the 3.5 version. I'm not planning to move to 4e, and I'm now taking the time to buy up the 'classics' I missed (or owned and sold/lost) from the 1e/2e days - mainly modules and Dark Sun and Al-Qadim at the moment.

Anyway, thats me - Hi.

hey crazy_cat! welcome to the forum. hope you enjoy the time here - please feel free to join in the topics and join in the fun (even though its 3e *cough* *splutter* *shite*) lol :)

welcome !

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:33 pm 

crazy_cat wrote:I'm in Cambridge in the UK, late 30's, played a ton of D&D and RPGs up until college and then let life get in the way.

greetings @home of uk d&d x2. welcome + always good to see delurk
lost or borrowed so often it seems hope can build up classics again + enjoy playing any version ;) ;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:36 pm 

I found this site a little while ago, and have enjoyed what it has to offer so far. I'm a gamer who has gotten back into the swing of things over the last five years or so, and am resisting the OCD urge to collect vintage game stuff, but registering to this forum may show how that fight is going.

So I do have a few questions, and hope this is the correct place to ask:

1. Are there any future plans to expand the indices to include 2e and 3.Xe? I know with the encroachment of 3rd party publishers this would be a herculean effort, but at least the core TSR/WotC stuff? Or does this exist and I missed it?

...well I was sure I had more than one, but I can't think of any more offhand. ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 pm 

Welcome Eryops!

Most people on this site are prejudiced toward the 1e stuff and earlier, although lots of people like 2e stuff.  While there are a few people who collect/have 3e and later stuff, it's not generally liked.  In fact, there are some of people who hate it.  And there is even more hostility toward the upcoming 4e!   So, the chance of anything post 2e going up is quite remote. The current indices do include lots of 2e stuff already.

Hang around, lurk, whatever.  The people here know there stuff and are often passionate about it.  And if you are trying to find stuff on eBay, this site is especially useful because you can learn about unscrupulous sellers, bargains, inside deals and upcoming, limited merchandise.  But, the key to friendlier answers is to keep the conversation in the 2e and earlier range.  If you are looking for more 3e folks, you may want to check out the dragonsfoot site.  I hope this answers your question.

Again, welcome! :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 pm 

Welcome Eryops, if you are looking for information about 2nd & 3rd edtion, try the following link (although the site does not track prices).

This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:25 pm 

Thanks to both of you for the links. My primary want for newer lists was just that - to have a condensed product list. What's here is great, and I can already see that there is a lot of expertise on products that I can tap into (and perhaps someday contribute to).

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 pm 

Eryops wrote:My primary want for newer lists was just that - to have a condensed product list.

If it's just a product list you're after, a good one is here:

Stocklist

Cheers,

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:24 pm 

Eryops wrote:I found this site a little while ago, and have enjoyed what it has to offer so far. I'm a gamer who has gotten back into the swing of things over the last five years or so, and am resisting the OCD urge to collect vintage game stuff, but registering to this forum may show how that fight is going.

So I do have a few questions, and hope this is the correct place to ask:

1. Are there any future plans to expand the indices to include 2e and 3.Xe? I know with the encroachment of 3rd party publishers this would be a herculean effort, but at least the core TSR/WotC stuff? Or does this exist and I missed it?

...well I was sure I had more than one, but I can't think of any more offhand. ;)

Welcome, Eryops!

I'm a 3rd edition collector.

A sort of Heroic Worlds publication for 3rd edition would be a major help.

Even now, with 4th edition on its way, a number of companies are going rogue with either their own versions of 3rd edition or just a determination to continue under the existing Open Gaming License.

I worry for WOTC.  4th edition might open to thunderous silence.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 am 

I found this site today!

Looking to sell most of my games on e-Bay, I've been watching there and doing research on the prices I should expect.

But seeing how much some of my collection is worth, why would I want to sell it?

And then I find THIS PLACE, and you people remind me why I put such an effort into collecting 1st Edition in the first place...

Because I COLLECT!

I have every Umber Hulk!  I got the 2 from Heritage and the 2 from Citadel, I've got the Umber Bulk and the Lumbering Hulk, I've got the Archive (RKIIV) "The Bulk", both Grenadier Umber Hulks.  I got the Ral Partha AD&D Umber Hulk, and I have the WotC version (Popeye the Sailor Hulk).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:37 am 

Mouse Police wrote:I found this site today!

Looking to sell most of my games on e-Bay, I've been watching there and doing research on the prices I should expect.

But seeing how much some of my collection is worth, why would I want to sell it?

And then I find THIS PLACE, and you people remind me why I put such an effort into collecting 1st Edition in the first place...

Because I COLLECT!

I have every Umber Hulk!  I got the 2 from Heritage and the 2 from Citadel, I've got the Umber Bulk and the Lumbering Hulk, I've got the Archive (RKIIV) "The Bulk", both Grenadier Umber Hulks.  I got the Ral Partha AD&D Umber Hulk, and I have the WotC version (Popeye the Sailor Hulk).

Welcome to the board :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:07 am 

Blackmoor:

Yes, nice site...

"refreshing and brutal" I hear tell...

I shal have to keep my wits about me, and my chits even closer...

...and my dice?  Nobody lays a hand on my d20!

YES YOU HEARD ME!  A d20!  AN ACTUAL d20!  The blue 20-sided from my Paranoia Box Set was actually numbered 1-20!

Read that die roll and weep!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:33 am 

Hi all.  Another lurker.  Time to come clean and admit I'm here.

I already met some of you at last year's GenCon.  I'm stratochamp's DM/GM of . . . well, let's just say many years.  (Ask me sometime about the first dungeon I ran for him, back in high school.)  I'm the one who bought Tim Kask's Jaroo Ashstaff at the GenCon auction last year (plus Tim's fishing hat).

So, I've played 1st Edition AD&D and Rolemaster over the years.  Never did take a liking to subsequent editions of AD&D.  I've attended GenCon's going back to the early 80s.

My collection?  Pretty random stuff (lots of uses for a 77" ash staff, ya know).  Not like stratochamp's Mighty Wall o' Games.  Problem is I really like auctions . . . .  And I'm counting the days to August 14.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:45 am 

If you've lurked here for a while you'll know by reading  through  some of the current threads that  someone will be really mean to you within the next hour or so - just try and live with it!!! (If you haven't got an agenda you might be okay :lol: )

seriously though, welcome

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:00 am 

Thanks for the welcome.  And my only agenda is to keep learning about gaming and the history behind it.  And maybe pick up something interesting from time to time.

Glad to be in the open, anyway.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 am 

Bracton wrote:Hi all.  Another lurker.  Time to come clean and admit I'm here.

I already met some of you at last year's GenCon.  I'm stratochamp's DM/GM of . . . well, let's just say many years.  (Ask me sometime about the first dungeon I ran for him, back in high school.)  I'm the one who bought Tim Kask's Jaroo Ashstaff at the GenCon auction last year (plus Tim's fishing hat).

So, I've played 1st Edition AD&D and Rolemaster over the years.  Never did take a liking to subsequent editions of AD&D.  I've attended GenCon's going back to the early 80s.

My collection?  Pretty random stuff (lots of uses for a 77" ash staff, ya know).  Not like stratochamp's Mighty Wall o' Games.  Problem is I really like auctions . . . .  And I'm counting the days to August 14.

hey Bracton! i remember you :) welcome to the site - hope you enjoy the time here!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 58 of 135123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 133134135