Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:07 pm 

Hi all! Glad to see Scott finally made a forum!

To make each other familiar with each other, introduce yourself. I'll start off:  

Name: Mike

Age: 20 (I'm not an oldy like most D&D collectors :-) j/k  

What I collect: Non tsr items, tolkien boardgames, and sometimes D&D items but mostly focusing on non tsr items and tolkien boardgames now  

Coolest item I own: Wee Warriors Game Designers Kit

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:32 am 

I'm 32 - probably pretty much right on average age for someone into D&D.  Started playing it when I was about 10 - 1980.  Haven't got a huge collection - probably about 50 items. Just picked up an Australian copy of G2!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:18 pm 

You can put me in line right behind nev - I'm 30, and started playing in 1981, when I was 9. I dabble in non-TSR items, and collect other RPG systems as well, but TSR is still my main focus.  Coolest item I own? Out of my TSR items, I'd have to say it's my copy of B10 (the cool part is that I bought it for $3 Canadian at a comic shop!).

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:38 pm 

Hello all.  In keeping with the age trend, I'm 32. Started playin D&D back around 1980 in 5th grade. Man, was it that long ago?  I started adding to my old D&D collection (which sat in a box for over a decade) about three years ago and now concentrate on D&D/AD&D 1st edition (some early 2nd) items.  Coolest (luckiest) items I own: a near mint copy of the 1st print of the Monster Manual (purchased for $10) and a SW copy of WG7 thrown in for free with a purchase of an old Basic Set.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:45 pm 

G'day (LOL)  

Name: Brett  

Been out of collecting for about a 2 years due to "life" but slowly comming back. Collect Xd&d, d&d, ad&d... etc.. Am specifically interested in collecting Convention Modules, fanzines and small press items.  

Coolest items I own: hmmm I was actually the first person to sell a copy of the Jade Hare on rec.games.frp.marpetplace way back when. Have lots of stuff... How about copies of Mindbane Shrinkwrapped? (helps when was made in Australia;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:41 pm 

Hello everyone,  

Name: Mike  

I've been collecting for about 20yrs, only heavily in the last 3 or so. Coolist items: UK boxed set, B3 orange shrink, 5 different prints of temple of elemental evil. I would consider my collection as large, two thousand items or so.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:40 am 

Howdy all!  

Name: Adrian  

First of all, to Scott:  Thank you, thank you, thank!  The Acaeum continues to get bigger and better.  

I started playing about 21 long years ago, but didn't really get hard core on the collecting until about 3 or 4 years back.  Main area of interest is 1st/2nd ed TSR released stuff, but I pretty much do it all: non-TSR, 3rd ed, d20, foreign release, promos, magazines, weird TSR non-game related products, etc.  I'm currently up to around 70 mag boxes full of stuff.  Obviously, my wife would like me to stop.   :wink:   Coolest item?  Hmmm... have to get back to you on this one.  I'm terrible at picking favorites!

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:20 pm 

Name: Luca

Started collecting "seriously" three years ago or so, although a decent chunk of my collection predates that. An all-around games' collector (RPGs, CCGs, board games, miniatures), although I specialize in RPGs. Decent-sized *D&D collection, mainly OD&D for sentimental reasons. Coolest items I would probably name the shrink orange B3 and my third printing woodgrain box. Wet dream: first printing woodgrain box.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:51 pm 

Name:    Malcolm  
In:         UK  

Been playing since 76. Been collecting for last 4 years.  Currently 3 copies of ST1, 2 different copies of the John Blanche GW book.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:49 pm 

Howdy     :D   

My name is Curt. It seems I fit the demographic; age 31, been playing since age 10.  

Location: Renton, WA USA (One Home of Wizards of the Coast  :D )  

Now an avid player of 3rd Edition but I still love the ideas and nostalgia that the earlier product hold. I'm sure most of us understand the flashbacks you get when you page through a copy of B2 or some other old favorite.   It is great to see how much this hobby has expanded. Lots of thanks to the Acaeum which has really created a central point for the hobby.  

Cheers,

Curt  cgould42

Last edited by cgould42 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:14 pm 

Hi all,  

I'm Michael, I am 28 and have been an avid fan since my brother guided my party through the Caves of Chaos! (Even though I was eventually killed off by the medusa in room 64.  :x)  

It is good to see the Acaeum having this facility. It truly is an oasis in the desert, as far as info on collecting D&D stuff is concerned.  

My best item sofar is a shrinkwrapped copy of X11. Darn though! I can't read it!!  :roll:  

Regards,

Michael

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:46 pm 

Well, i guess i'll jump in.  

I'm Rhea Shelley.  I'm 31 (popular number here), and have been collecting for 26 years.  Yes, i started that young.  My mom bought me the white boxed Collector's Edition in 1976 and i still have it today (and it's in perfect shape).  

I spent my money on D&D growing up and took care of everything like it was gold (well, i did take the shrinkwrap off).  The thing that really got me started hard core was when i was reading one of my D&D items and said something like "see <product x> for full details."  Well, i didn't have <product x>.  So, from that point on, i was on a quest to get everything...and get everything i did.  Everything TSR, modules, boxed sets, accessories, boardgames, books, games, you name it, i got it.  It soon spread into non-TSR D&D (or XD&D) items as well.  26 years later, i have a collection of over 6,000 items and a house full of games.  

I'm in the middle of selling everything to build a new house.  But, i still visit this web site probably more than any other site.  I know i'll never be able to leave the community completely.  I enjoy talking about collecting and games in general.  Who knows, maybe after i build the house, i'll pick it up again.  Searching is half the fun.  

Best item?  Jeez.  Let's just say i had almost everyone's best item so far, accept for maybe a few specific foreign items (although, i do have quite a bit of foreign).  One of my favorite achievements is getting the entire Adventurer's Guild collection and then seeing all my hard work put to good use on this site.  

Happy Collecting,   rhea..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:20 pm 

Rhea..... Don't do it!  Who needs shelter when he has all that fantasy material.  Oh well. I should write you to see what I can buy off of you. Or perhaps I can work on your house in exchange. :idea:  

Anyhow. I am 32 I think. They lost my birth certificate when I was born in the backwoods of Indiana.  One of my fondest moments of childhood I relived 4 years ago while draggin around Ebay, was my con-ing my mother into buying me 'Slavepits of the Undercity' at the age of 10. Remember when you could go into any Department Store and buy this stuff off a small rack in the toy section? I can still smell the fresh print of the module when I took the shrinkwrap off of it.

I was poking around Ebay for the first time and pulled up D&D listings while looking around. Bang! There was the Slavepits exactly as I remembered it. I was hooked at that point.  My favorite TSR artist (another topic of discussion :idea:) Jeff Dee adorns the cover of that module. I tend to get lost in the art and fantasy of the adventures in general.

I find collecting this stuff as the ultimate expression of my memory of the game in its early years. I cannot think of any aspect of culture that is similar to it. I do not think the game is any where near as imaginative these days as it was when it first came out.  

My prized possession is somewhere between Orange B3 to Lost Tomoachan to a nice SW Slavepits copy. Its all equally fun.  

Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:28 pm 

Hi all...  I collect AD&D 1e stuff not to trade and keep to sell, but to play!  Spent a long time rebuilding my collection so I could play again...Ah, that's the stuff!  (3e'ers shaddap!)

Tired.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:39 pm 

I have been playing D&D since 1980 when I was 9.  I always preferred D&D to AD&D, back then it was understood to be the freeform version while AD&D was the one to have rules to cover every situation.  

Over the years my favorite campaign was the D&D Known World which later became Mystara.  I found my preference was for collecting all the material related to a setting(although I also collect for other RPG systems).   So I am one of those completists, and I still play what I collect.  

One of my rarest items, the very first Jade Hare offered for sale, by Brett Easterbrook.  Brett, how are you doing?  The module has been put to good use, I actually played it in my latest D&D campaign.  

Maybe we should start a thread for players who have played through these rare modules, I ran it for one high level player, and it went pretty well, though he was defeated by the magic combo at the end, and had to salvage a draw.  I also bought Mindbane from Brett at the same time.  Side note to you Brett, your webpages listing all those Australian magazines are down, any chance you can direct me to the data elsewhere?     

Anyone remeber when the first ST1 was offered for sale on rec.games.frp.marketplace?  It sold for $51 to David Papay.  I was the guy who offered $50 for it.  The darn thing was that the fellow offering it was just taking offers, but I though he was taking bids for an auction.  I was willing to pay more, but I figured $50 was a good place to start.   The next time I saw one for sale, it was on ebay.  But because of that, when Brett offered his modules for sale, I was determined not to let another opportunity slip through my fingers.  I didn't know what I was buying, but the gamble paid off.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:25 pm 

Good to see that you are still around dave;)  Yeh I know my site is down, saw it the other week, its all backed up, I just have to put it back on the web again, I don't have a computer at home at the moment that is why it is so out of date, have quite a bite more to add to it when i get the time... if you have any q's though just ask;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:35 pm 

Hi All -  

Name:  Paul
Loc:  Pensacola FL  

I am not really a serious collector, but I've been trying to put my hands on some of the first things that got me hooked on RPGs back in 1979-1980.  Hurts to think about all the various RPGs that have passed thru my hands over the past two plus decades.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:32 pm 

Greetings All!  

Name: Michael
Loc: Northern California  

I fell under the spell of Dungeons & Dragons one rainy day in 1982. I can still remember the music playing in the background as I opened that Basic boxed set...  

In the years that followed, my interest in playing D&D has waned, especially with the introduction of high quality RPG's for the computer.  However, I have become more and more interested in collecting early D&D and AD&D items. My mother was an antique collector, so I guess its in my blood.  

Rather than tell you my rarest item or most valuable item, let me list my favorite item...a shrink-wrapped copy of the Companion Rules box set. That Larry Elmore image of the lone knight standing on a mountain and lifting his two handed sword to battle a dragon is the essence of what I love about D&D.

Next