Removing Glue
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:10 pm 

I have a hardcover where a price sticker was removed leaving the glue stuck to the cover.

Over the years the glue has hardened and is now stuck on there real good.

As I'm out of 'Erase' spells does anyone know how to remove the glue cleanly?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:45 pm 

I think my mother (prof antiques dealer) uses cloth with nail polish or special glue-remove solution.

Can't swear to it, though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:23 pm 

Just remembered the name - "Goo Gone".  Try craft/antique type places.

Try to just rub the sticker itself, though.  Might damage surface of what its on.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:18 pm 

Just to clarify -- that's nail polish remover (acetone) -- not nail polish!  Unless you want that sparkling shine.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:14 am 

I've actually heard there is some kind of trick with lighter fluid...  it takes the glue off, then disappates into the wind.  Never tried it, but have heard something about it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:53 am 

I've had the same problem and someone on this forum gave me the advice to use a hair-dryer: How to remove remainder of price tag from cover?

It worked pretty well! Maybe give it a try.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:50 am 

Goo Gone... we use it at the shop all the time... you put the goo gone on a cloth dab it on let it sit for a minute... a very very short amont of time and then you rub it with the solution soaked cloth then wipe the excess solution off an wipe it with a damp cloth, then dry it.

Dani

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:21 am 

Reviving an old thread. . . but I had been meaning to post to this for awhile now.

I am constantly removing glue & price stickers from RPG items.  In all but a very few instances, I am able to remove any residue with the following techniques - all of which minimize any potential harm to the item.

- If you have glue residue (not the hard & brittle kind) simply get a clean cotton piece of fabric - an old T-shirt works just fine.  Put the book on a firm surface and rub outwards towards the nearest edge . Keep repeating this with firm pressure (use your thumb for best results).  Eventually, the glue will become tacky and start to lift and congeal.  As you repeat the rubbing, it will start to come off.  If the glue proves to be particlarly stubborn, then wet it slightly with some "barely damp" fabric (or if nobody is looking you can just "spit shine" it.  :oops: ) .  Then repeat until the glue is gone.

- Where price stickers or tape are concerned, gently begin to peel at the edges.  Take your time, get as much off as possible (though many tend to come off fairly easily).  If you are unable to get some (or all) of the sticker off by peeling just leave it alone.  Then just follow the procedure I mentioned above - it there is still "sticker" left, then wet if first - sometimes multiple wettings are necessary.  

- Brittle glue is best removed by gently chipping away at it and then finishing up as outlined above.  I find that "chipping away" is most easily accompished with my fingernails - though if you don't bite your nails like I do, they are probably too long and you might risk damaging or scratching the surface.  

Keep in mind that when I say "wet" I mean the barest minimum which is then promptly wiped clean.  This technique works for almost any module or semi-glossy/glossy covered item.  It also works for all hardcover books.  The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for are "paper surfaces" - like Dragon Mags or internal pages.

I haven't tried heat, goo gone or Acetone; but I would hesitate to do so as they could potentially damage the item.  In any case, I find my methods quick, effective and non-damaging.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:05 am 

8O Thought this would answer my question about Goo Gone -- but I want to use it to remove the gunk on the bottom of lead/pewter figures so I can read the manufacturing marks.  Will this harm the figures??  I did try my old standby of sticky tape to remove the stuff - but didn't get enough off.  David used some yellow tacky gunk on the bottoms of the figures he just sent -- no mounting board residue, just gunk.

What should I use??? :cry:

THANKS!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:17 pm 

I use nail polish remover (acetone) all the time, but with a caveat: ONLY ON GLOSSY/PLASTCIZED COVERS. I'm meaning the kind of covers on books and such that have highly reflective surfaces. On them, the acetone works quickly and without damage.

If the cover doesn't have that kind of surface, acetone can remove surface coloring. If I'm not sure, I'll test in a dab on some inconsequential area.

However, I like some of these ideas I've seen in this thread... Thanks a bunch for reviving it! I'm going to give Goo-Gone a shot, and beyond-the-breach's processes as well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:15 pm 

I find open flame to be a great help.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:23 am 

red_dawn wrote:I use nail polish remover (acetone) all the time

:wink: OK -- so I start out wetting it with acetone and then follow up with Deadlord36 suggestion "I find open flame to be a great help. "

THAT combo should take care of the gunk!!! :lol:  :lol:

I used Acetone in my working life -- and it worked great, or ruined the piece.  Melts many kinds of plastic and finishes.  Acetone free nail polish remover works -- but requires more 'elbow grease'.  I have yet to find tape/glue residue that Goo Gone does NOT remove. And baby wipes are great for many kinds of cleaning -- especially the computer desk and keyboard.

Now, where did I put that butane torch . . .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:03 pm 

"bump" (due to a recent question on price stickers and condition.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "