Which D&D item collectible is the most overrated?
Poll: Which D&D item is the most overrated (assuming condition is the same for all items)?

Woodgrain D&D box set 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Orange B3 16%       16%  [ 6 ]
ST1 Up the Garden Path 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Limited Edition Tourney Module (either Tamoachan, Ghost Tower or Tsojcanth) 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Palace of the Vampire Queen 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
10th Anniversary Collector's Set 43%       43%  [ 16 ]
Dragon #1 19%       19%  [ 7 ]
Jade Hare with cover 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Other 16%       16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 37

Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:25 pm 

8)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:15 pm 

I limited the poll to items that usually sell for $100+, therefore Deities & Demigods with Cthulhu didn't make the cut since it usually doesn't sell for over $100.  If included, it surely would have won most overrated.  

If I had to rank them in terms of being overrated then #1 would be:
1) 10th Anniversary sets (they're standard items shrinked together with a piece of paper, I don't get it).
2) Dragon #1 (your average D&D fan would go crazy over it, but it just isn't that rare, the Dragon CD-ROM also take some luster off of it)
3) Orange B3 (there's probably a lot more out there than most people think and the interior artwork isn't very risque)
4) PotVQ (TSR distributed it but didn't make it so not a true TSR item to my eyes)
5) Limited Edition tournament modules and woodgrain box (they're certainly rare and cool like Dragon #1 but one can get practically the same content with later editions)
6) Jade Hare without the cover is overrated, but with the cover it seems to be extremely rare.  Jade Hare with the cover I might say is underrated.  
7) ST1 I'd also say is underrated.  There are no later editions and it seems the original edition got mostly mulched.  It's the one item I'd want more than any others.  

Though it didn't fit into the parameters, the Adventurer's Guild modules are overrated.  Once some PDF king gets a hold of them they're going to be all over the place and I don't know how anyone is going to be able to tell the originals from the copies since the originals were printed on modern printers everyone has access to.  
The Fighting Wheel seemed to come down to a modest final bid level recently but then shot up again.   Hmm...

But for my two coppers, ST1 is the most underrated, then again I don't have one, and have most of the others, so that probably colors my view.   :wink:

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:58 pm 

Jade Hare, hands down.

It has no classic feel, it was produced too late.
It doesn't reprint any classic or excellent material.
There's very little content.
It has no provenance relating to an interesting event (like a con).
It was not the first version of a classic, such as Tsojconth, Inverness, or Tamoachan.
It doesn't even have original artwork; the cover (when it's even there) was derived from the first Endless Quest book.

Great author?  No.
Great time capsule?  No.
Great material?  No.
Great story behind the creation?  No.
First indication of better things to come?  No.
Throwaway product whose prestige is based entirely on numeric rarity?  You betcha.

8)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:06 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:Jade Hare, hands down.

It has no classic feel, it was produced too late.
It doesn't reprint any classic or excellent material.
There's very little content.
It has no provenance relating to an interesting event (like a con).
It was not the first version of a classic, such as Tsojconth, Inverness, or Tamoachan.
It doesn't even have original artwork; the cover (when it's even there) was derived from the first Endless Quest book.

Great author?  No.
Great time capsule?  No.
Great material?  No.
Great story behind the creation?  No.
First indication of better things to come?  No.
Throwaway product whose prestige is based entirely on numeric rarity?  You betcha.

8)

Whew!  Excellent points all round!  
What's your take on the others?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:25 pm 

I gotta go with Vampy.

Not a TSR product (for the most part). Unless you are a collector, you have never heard of the damn thing. That does not mean its not rare, just not what I covet. I have no "fond" memories of said item, and I am an old timer. At least the other items (with certain exceptions) were sought after and talked about by the general masses.

Now, I have to totally agree with Darkboy on Jade Hare. Just because it is scarce by numbers...nope, who cares. Dragon #1 is right up there, too. One just sold for about $130 in decent condition. This thing has not increased its value in at least 10 years. What that says is that everyone who really wants one, has a copy.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:31 pm 

White box. Hands down the most overrated, expensive item out there. Right now, at least......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:28 pm 

How about the bloodstone series, no real reason it is more valuable than any other series of modules.  Most collectors seem to have it and yet the modules still go for big bucks when offered on Ebay. 8)  8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:43 pm 

It has to be the 10th Anniversary crap.

Anything that says "Collector's Set" or "Collector's Edition" on it...  Isn't.

"Is it secret; is it safe?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:38 am 

Some guy wrote:Anything that says "Collector's Set" or "Collector's Edition" on it...  Isn't.

Which is a good rule of thumb no matter what you are collecting but the exception to the rule surely would be the "Collector's Edition" modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:19 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:White box. Hands down the most overrated, expensive item out there. Right now, at least......

Darn, I just bought one for $85 with a water stained box.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:32 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I gotta go with Vampy.

Not a TSR product (for the most part). Unless you are a collector, you have never heard of the damn thing. That does not mean its not rare, just not what I covet. I have no "fond" memories of said item, and I am an old timer. At least the other items (with certain exceptions) were sought after and talked about by the general masses.

Now, I have to totally agree with Darkboy on Jade Hare. Just because it is scarce by numbers...nope, who cares. Dragon #1 is right up there, too. One just sold for about $130 in decent condition. This thing has not increased its value in at least 10 years. What that says is that everyone who really wants one, has a copy.

Dragon #1 hands down.  I bought a nice copy for $100 ten years ago....and could probably get $110 for it right now. Yawn.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:42 pm 

But it also means that there aere enough people out there that still want one.  Things could be worse and everyone dumps there #1's at the same time.  Then you will really be crying. :)

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM