Basic D&D 6%       6%  [ 2 ]
Original D&D 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
What! people play this game? 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:08 pm 

Seems there are quite of few of us favoring 1st Edition. But that said, many are reflecting very positively on Basic (pretty much any version). One version of basic does seem to be overlooked. The Rules Cyclopedia. I know it is kind of a collectable item - mainly because it was certainly not widely printed as its brethren. The rulebook is just plain awesome, no dare I say, perfect. If you have the book but never read it, do so. You'll wonder why you never played it!!!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:09 pm 

I started playing towards the end of 1st edition, and converted to 2nd ed. as soon as it came out. I tried 3e for a while and just as I thought I had it figured out 3.5 came out. There are things I like and dislike about each of the versions. I really like the 1st ed. Players Handbook and DM Guide. The fowards are both excellent and the examples are great. I like the variety of 2nd ed., with all of the monsters and spells that were published, it makes creating adventures very enjoyable. The best I can say for 3.0/3.5 is that the rules make it eaiser for people to learn.

I never really played the original version but I have to agree that the Rules Cyclopedia is a masterful book.

I ended up voting for 2nd ed. because I always had a blast DMing adventures and its the one I'm most comfortable with.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  
Previous