What Happened to the Vintage TSR Art
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 pm 

Tsrart wrote:

I know of only three major paintings that have survived -- Gary Gygax has the Player's Handbook cover, supposedly. A collector I know owns the original Monster Manual cover, and another owns the original Deities and Demigods cover.

I know of one more… The 1st edition DMG painting by David Sutherland is alive and in capable hands  :wink: . It's in nice condition as well. :D

David unfortunately has passed away, and his family sold what art was remaining in his possession around the time of his death.

I was fortunate to correspond with David before his passing and was entrusted to a few unique items he had in his old TSR treasure chest.

But one item that's not the most valuable, but definitely has the most sentimental value to me - would be Dave's own play-copy of the DMG. Out of love and respect for the man, and not to forget he was first a gamer through and through, we keep it on the shelf with our other play-copies. I know in my heart Dave would want it that way, in fact I joked with him about it before he passed away.

I'm getting a little sentimental right now, so I've typed enough…

Photos of the Book-

It's the center DMG.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:29 pm 

what a terrible story. Damn.. if I were one of those artists i'd have been a bit pissed that my art was just tossed away.

Previous