Help with GENCON EAST 1981 and British Mags
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:31 pm 

I won a bundle of Dragon mags # 44 through 96, all bagged and in NM for $20.50 off EBAY :D . When I went through them, I discovered in issue #44 a loose pamphlet:

GENCON EAST 1981, 8 pages in length. Mint condition but it appears the press cut it at a slight 2-3 degree angle on the top and bottom. Is it worth anything and does it have a collectable market?

After that find, last week I picked up a bundle of RPG items from a 3rd Ed. game store that bought out another game store. Got a shrink C1, B2 (my first shrinks!), N5 mint, C4 mint, C5 mint, MV1 mint with original viewer, WG7 mint (I can sell my other one now :wink: ), Rogues Gallery, 2-Lizard Logo Basic #2001Rule books (1G, 1VG), an old 2 pack DM screen mint, L2 NM, FR1&10 NM, WG11 Mint, and a Hexagonal Mapping Booklet VG (first 2 pages drawn on in pencil). All for $30 :D . Also included, that I need help with on worth/collectability, are the following:

Group of British publications. All are about 4"x 8" magazines
Thunderstruck Issues 4, 3
Dragonlords Issues 4, 6, 7, 9, 14
Quasits and Quasars Issue 4
The Beholder Issues 23, 25
Black Rider Issues 3, 4

Judges Guild, Vol. 1, 2nd Ed, Ready Reference Sheets

Pad of character sheets, 20 sheets, printed on a woodgrain style paper. They seemed to be loose leaf but on closer examination I discovered that they we glued as in a tear pad style package but the glue seems to be failing. Is this the in-house TSR character sheet pad 8O ?

Any help would be appreciated :) !

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:19 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I won a bundle of Dragon mags # 44 through 96, all bagged and in NM for $20.50 off EBAY :D . When I went through them, I discovered in issue #44 a loose pamphlet:

GENCON EAST 1981, 8 pages in length. Mint condition but it appears the press cut it at a slight 2-3 degree angle on the top and bottom. Is it worth anything and does it have a collectable market?

It was probably an insert to that Dragon issue---Gen Con promo/prereg flyers and booklets were common in Dragon for years.  When the Dragon CD ROM was published, they didn't include these, which is a bummer since I've used them as research info for my tourney histories.

Is there any mention of interesting tourneys in the booklet, Kosh?  

My first con was GCEII @ Widener University, so the show has nostalgic value for me.  If you decide to part with the booklet, I'd be happy to trade with you for it.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:34 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
I won a bundle of Dragon mags # 44 through 96, all bagged and in NM for $20.50 off EBAY  . When I went through them, I discovered in issue #44 a loose pamphlet:

It was probably an insert to that Dragon issue---Gen Con promo/prereg flyers and booklets were common in Dragon for years. When the Dragon CD ROM was published, they didn't include these, which is a bummer since I've used them as research info for my tourney histories.

Is there any mention of interesting tourneys in the booklet, Kosh?

My first con was GCEII @ Widener University, so the show has nostalgic value for me. If you decide to part with the booklet, I'd be happy to trade with you for it.

grodog pretty much hit it on the head.  Not to big of a market for the Gen Con prereg/convention programs, except me and a hand full of others I know of.  I took a look, that booklet might be from Dragon #49.  My Dragon #49 has the Gen Con East booklet (attached) and a prereg booklet for Gen Con XIV.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:24 pm 

Also included, that I need help with on worth/collectability, are the following:

Group of British publications. All are about 4"x 8" magazines
Thunderstruck Issues 4, 3
Dragonlords Issues 4, 6, 7, 9, 14
Quasits and Quasars Issue 4
The Beholder Issues 23, 25
Black Rider Issues 3, 4

I think the collectibility of old D&D fanzines goes without saying; with regard to worth, it's hard to say. They're worth something to me for example, as I have an interest in fanzines... to give you an idea on value, the last auction I won which had 23 issues of various English fanzines (which included Dragonlords, Beholder and Thunderstuck, as well as Underworld Oracle, News from Bree, Demonsblood and Troll Crusher) I paid 74 pounds for... hwat's that, around $150 USD?

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:02 pm 

BTW Kosh, I forgot to add - I'd be interested in a few of the issues you picked up, if you're thinking of selling....

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the input.

In your opinion(s) should I just put the British mags up as one lot, seperate lots or individual? What would be a worthwhile trade? :?

As for the GENCON EAST, I have not been able to sit down and go through it to put up info for those interested. :oops:

Also, any input on these woodgrained player character sheets. They are in excellent condition, none written on. There are 20 pages so I need to know if this is the original number or not. I can get pics of them for those in the forum who would like to see them. Just let me know and I will post it. I'm hoping that they are the in-house TSR playtester sheets and not just someones fancy way to make a character sheet. :wink:

Bump

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:37 pm 

No rush Kosh, I actually think that I already have the GCE pre-reg booklet, if it's the same one that was in Dragon 49.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:20 pm 

Hi Kosh -

If I was selling your British fanzines, I'd probably list them by title, ie all issues for Thunderstruck in one auction, all for Dragonlords in another etc. I think you'd maximise the sale price this way; certainly you'd get more than if you listed them all up in one lot.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:08 pm 

Bump on character sheets

Does anyone have a sight I can upload the pics of these sheets so I can get some input?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:20 pm 

McDuff has agreed to host the pics of these woodgrain character sheets. Hopefully they are something new and worthwhile for the hobby.
Also, I asked McDuff if he would be willing to host a couple of more images. One is the front of the GenCon East 1981 and one is a scan of pages 4&5 from the THUNDERSTRUCK! fanzine, issue 4. This is an interview of Gary Gygax by Tim Kalvis, who is the editor and publisher of the fanzine. If he doesn't, here is an interesting para at the end.

"He then told me that on some occasions larger companies had offered to buy up TSR and, which as a result, would have meant that he could have retired and never have to work again. But Gary doesn't see it like that.  "I love my job...I'm doing what I like to do, even though I work very hard at it...To me it's more satisfying than having a stack of money and doing nothing..""

If only he had a crystal ball of fortelling at the time:cry:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:13 am 

I've had a thought lately to combin all the interviews in mags from Gygax (actually the Unlitate Interview by Sotterraneo was very interesting) and others... there is actually a good Gygax interview in The Scroll #7 (from memory) that is a critic on Schicks "Heroic Worlds" book....

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:27 am 

Here are the images of Kosh's character sheets:

Error 404 - Not found

Error 404 - Not found

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:01 am 

...Love that 'typewriter font' they used to use....  :lol:

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:17 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:I've had a thought lately to combin all the interviews in mags from Gygax (actually the Unlitate Interview by Sotterraneo was very interesting) and others... there is actually a good Gygax interview in The Scroll #7 (from memory) that is a critic on Schicks "Heroic Worlds" book....

I've got a nice collection of interviews EGG has done, including the 60 Minutes transcript from the infamous TV interview.  Perhaps we should try to work up a comprehensive list of them all.  What say you Brette?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:59 pm 

>> Perhaps we should try to work up a comprehensive list of them all.

That would be a colossal task, you might want to limit it to the 70s magazines and the TV one(s).
:)

If there's interest, here's a *few* of the more recent online ones, chronologically:

TheOneRing.net, May 30 2000:
TheOneRing.net™ | Features | Interviews | Gary Gygax - Creator of Dungeons & Dragons
(nice one on the Tolkien aspects of D&D)

GameSpy, Oct 2000:
Page Not Found (404) - GameSpy

Gary Gygax, RPG Legend, Oct 20 2000:
http://www.womengamers.com/interviews/garygygax.html

RPG Net, May 1-25 2001:
The Inside Scoop on Gaming - RPGnet

Clan MacGaming, May 8 2001:
http://www.clanmacgaming.com/articles.php?read=1158

Mordenkainen's Fantastic Interview, Mar 13 2002:
404 Not Found

RPG United, Aug 1 2002:
RPG United interview with Gary Gygax

HomeLAN Fed, Feb 23 2003:
Homelanfed.com

Oerth Journal 12:
(date hidden, can't read unless a member)
http://www.canonfire.com/htmlnew/modules.php?name=Top

Date unknown, Lejendary Adventure:
http://www.lejendary.com/la/template.ph ... tyle=blaze

Date unknown, kittenpants (?):
http://www.kittenpants.org/11_Loneliest/gygax.asp

Gamasutra (members only)

etc., etc.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:58 pm 

Kosh --

Those scans are not of the in-house character pads that we know of.  It could be an unknown earlier/later product, or something non-TSR.  I'd be interested if anyone recognizes these.

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:02 pm 

grodog wrote:I've got a nice collection of interviews EGG has done, including the 60 Minutes transcript from the infamous TV interview.  Perhaps we should try to work up a comprehensive list of them all.  What say you Brette?

putting them all together would be great, just flicking through the interviews noted by darkseraphim, I see that (the 3rd part of the RPG.net interview) that TSR didn't buy out SPI like I thought, but had instead taken over the assest due to a defaulting loan... never knew that...