What is the main focus of your collection.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
my focus is "oooh that looks cool"

:D

Al

Hmm, sounds quite similar to my buying strategy.  I also have a bad tendancy to also say, "Hmmm that is much cheaper than it should be....I think I'll buy that too." :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:18 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Hmm, sounds quite similar to my buying strategy.  I also have a bad tendancy to also say, "Hmmm that is much cheaper than it should be....I think I'll buy that too." :oops:

hmm yeha i suffer from that too.

and on specific items too, such as tegel manor...its a case of "well i have 6 why not have 7"  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:10 pm 

If it's non-TSR and it's a bit old or odd, I probably want it.  Funny how I can't seem to get excited about TSR's own products.

I never found the old modules to be much use, on average.  (The giant and descent modules being exceptions.)  I pretty much found myself having to rewrite every single portion of the module and re-draw the maps.  Mostly, I just end up using them for inspiration.

I guess Village of Hommlet was a happy exception as well...with some extra monsters thrown in.

Since I pretty much have to re-write a module to use it, I find the greater variety of non-TSR ideas to be more valuable.  OF course, the D20 phenomenon has also been a real outlet for the flowering of new ideas and multi-genre settings, so a lot of that stuff is also quite interesting...if only for the well-spring of ideas.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm 

ExTSR wrote:There are two distinctly different editions of the early rules, First and Second printings. Very few rules are different, tho. I know Brian was running a sporadic BH campaign when I arrived at TSR in January 1980. Of course the AD&D1e DMG has notes on tying BH into AD&D, but that was just to appease Brian, rather than any real interest on Gary's part. ;> The 3rd edition is the first boxed set, for which actual modules were done (gasp), again at Brian's insistence.

Ah... Boot Hill. You might be able to answer this, Frank. (Although anyone, please chime in! ;))

D'you whether anyone else has tried playing the original Boot Hill "scenario" ("The Owlhoot Trio", 1974, should be; although I may be missing earlier... :?), fleshed out from the original publication?
The maps are all there, locale described, PCs/NPCs named (w/o stats, but w/some weapons), etc.
Just curious... :)

=
p.s. Did I forget to say "nice inscriptions" y'picked-up recently?
Even if those might "damage the value" of the items. :twisted:
(as if...)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 pm 

ExTSR wrote:There are two distinctly different editions of the early rules, First and Second printings. Very few rules are different, tho. I know Brian was running a sporadic BH campaign when I arrived at TSR in January 1980. Of course the AD&D1e DMG has notes on tying BH into AD&D, but that was just to appease Brian, rather than any real interest on Gary's part. ;> The 3rd edition is the first boxed set, for which actual modules were done (gasp), again at Brian's insistence.

Frank, I was going by this version being the 3rd edition:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I think it was published ~1990 and has significantly modified rules (e.g., non-weapon proficiencies)

It comes down to the definition of printing versus edition. I don't think that many (outside of here) are aware of the two different early booklets you posted, so they are default "1st edition", the box set is "2nd edition", and the one I just linked is "3rd edition". I won't argue that this is correct, but it does seem to be in common usage, as in that auction and on this thread on DF, where the merits of the different rulesets are discussed: Dragonsfoot • View topic - Boot Hill?

Hmm...perhaps these posts should be moved to a new Boot Hill thread?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 am 

Hey, whatever nomenclature works for the majority. (They can declare Pi equal to 3.0 for all I care.) Yes, it does make logical sense to stick to Editions and Printings within Editions (as long as you don't enshrine terms like 'third-minus' as permanent categories ;> ). And yes, that version does make serious attempts to flesh out the characters to make it more of a roleplaying game, though it does not notably decrease the incidence of lethality.

FITS also suffered from nomenclature when,as an excellent aerial wargame, it was retitled and crammed into the Roleplaying mode as Dawn Patrol. Very little was added and hobbyists still ignored that new craze (RPGing), sticking to good ol' wargaming like they always had. Few were fooled.

Gamma World kills characters willy nilly, and Jim Ward has never apologized for that; it's true old-school.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:27 am 

D'you whether anyone else has tried playing the original Boot Hill "scenario" ("The Owlhoot Trio", 1974, should be; although I may be missing earlier... :?), fleshed out from the original publication?
The maps are all there, locale described, PCs/NPCs named (w/o stats, but w/some weapons), etc.

Interesting. Do you mean that this was published in the first print of Boot Hill (that Frank posted a pic of)?

I love learning the names from sample scenarios...Owlhoot Trio sounds like it should be the name of a bluegrass group.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:45 pm 

zhowar wrote:Interesting. Do you mean that this was published in the first print of Boot Hill (that Frank posted a pic of)?

Before... ;) (1974 vs 1975).

I'm using "scenario" in a slightly loose manner since that's way back into BH as skirmish rules rather than full-blown character development and cohesive (ongoing) plot. Plus, the majority of the presentation is as a sample run to illustrate play, rather than a bare-bones scenario.
It is the first one printed though, afaik, and the setting details provided (nice neat maps, locale decription, characters, etc.) would certainly allow for a re-run.

zhowar wrote:I love learning the names from sample scenarios...Owlhoot Trio sounds like it should be the name of a bluegrass group.

:)
Wondering how many others there were that didn't make it into print.

So.... no-one's played this?
(Poss. suggestion for LGGC 2007, Frank? ;))

=
aside: Also from 1974, there's a 1-1 scale Chainmail Fantasy scenario, "Pied Piper of Hamlin" (sic). Will let your imagination run on that one. :)
On the plus side that is presented as a proper scenario, albeit not written by EGG (which The Owlhoot Trio is).

(Hrmm... I'm sure there might be earlier 1-1 Chainmail Fantasy scenarios in print, if I look hard enough...
[ed.] *g* Excepting one by EGG which is mostly 20-1).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:09 pm 

So if the adventure predates Boothill, David, where was it published (or is it a manuscript you've got?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:18 pm 

grodog wrote:So if the adventure predates Boothill, David, where was it published (or is it a manuscript you've got?

Ms. would be neat, but I did say published, Allan. ;)

OK; I'll be nice... Panzerfaust.

(Ditto for the Chainmail Fantasy scenarios).

Previous