What is the main focus of your collection.
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:20 am 

beasterbrook wrote:I just got a whole heap of stuff that has been in storage in the states for 3 years, inc a nice looking complete print run of different worlds...

Tadashi's working on a CD archive like the Dragon CDs, Brette, so you may want to unload those sooner vs. later if you're planning to sell them.

Thanks for the Summerlands info, Brette.  Now I need to pester you for the Tarot tourney too, once it arrives ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:22 am 

Badmike wrote:So don't tempt me with your pretty shells beads and baubles...

Just boobs, right Mike? :D

You still thinking of coming up north to ShaunCon and/or to KC for a trip sometime this summer?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:30 am 

I am a niche collector...basically trying to collect the things the big dogs are not growling over and tearing to pieces.

I tend to favor non-TSR products because I find them more interesting.

I am basically finished with Judges Guild...except maybe I'll collect the science fiction at some point. Multiple editions and printings?  Maybe.

I am working on Thieves Guild.

I have another interest that I am not sharing until I have it done...made that mistake with Thieves Guild and the prices jumped.  I don't think anyone else here is really interested in it at the moment.

I throw a bid in on some things that interest me at the right price from time to time.  I certainly like anything that I perceive as a piece of gaming history.  The Tim Kask and Rob Kuntz auctions are currently frustrating me.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:08 am 

Badmike wrote:The problem is you can never have everything

Sez YOU.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:17 am 

ExTSR wrote:

Sez YOU.

Sez my WIFE :evil:

** Actually she's very fair :) **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:17 pm 

grodog wrote:
Badmike wrote:So don't tempt me with your pretty shells beads and baubles...

Just boobs, right Mike? :D

You still thinking of coming up north to ShaunCon and/or to KC for a trip sometime this summer?

I'm going to be in for a LOOOOOONG week in Missouri at the end of May...have a nephew graduating the 21st and a niece graduating the 28th in Kansas City, so the wife and I are just going to motor around the midwest between graduations.  It wasn't until I got the 2006 Official Vacation Planner for Missouri that I realized how little is going on in Missouri....
I just saw that Conquest is May 26-28 in KC the week that I'm there so I may try to hit that just to give me something to do.  Shauncon is in November right, depends on the weather I guess.  Anyway if you are around that week in May let me know, maybe we can pass through Wichita on the way there or back and take a lunch... :D

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:28 pm 

ExTSR wrote:

Sez YOU.

Hmm, you're right.  I guess the correction would be "Do you really WANT everything?"  There are lots of stuff I've eventually accumulated that I sat staring at years later thinking "WTF?  Why did I HAVE to have the complete World of Silverdawn, it sucks!!!" Some of that stuff just isn't very good, although I know that's the appeal to many of us here.  
    I think collecting definitely would follow a wave graph, starting at the low end of the spectrum (just discovering collecting), rising slowly (hmm, got to have all those letter edition modules), then rising swiftly (Now I need all the 2nd ed stuff including Spelljammer and Birthright), then shooting straight up (MERP! Judges Guild! Thieves World!) until saturation exists, or there are only a few niche holes to fill when the curve would crest then slowly drop down as there is very little left to collect or that one wants to collect.   
  I'm definitely at the dropping end of the curve now, even to the point of selling off systems I haven't looked at in years and realize I won't ever use or cannabalize for my own campaigns.  It's even to the point I'm not interested in filling the high end niche holes like ST1, Lost Tamoachan, Inverness Lmtd, woodgrain anymore (unless they absolutely just fell in my lap...even then it would be to resell).  I can even see the day, which I was always so far off in the distance, when my collection is pared down to maybe 4-5 boxes of essentials and the rest sold off to pay for a good nursing home and the occasional hooker.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:It's even to the point I'm not interested in filling the high end niche holes like ST1, Lost Tamoachan, Inverness Lmtd, woodgrain anymore (unless they absolutely just fell in my lap...even then it would be to resell).  I can even see the day, which I was always so far off in the distance, when my collection is pared down to maybe 4-5 boxes of essentials and the rest sold off to pay for a good nursing home and the occasional hooker.

You sound depressed...try to find a hooker that plays RPGs, and you can get a good discount for those vintage materials.  :wink:

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:50 pm 

Badmike wrote:   I'm definitely at the dropping end of the curve now, even to the point of selling off systems I haven't looked at in years and realize I won't ever use or cannabalize for my own campaigns.  It's even to the point I'm not interested in filling the high end niche holes like ST1, Lost Tamoachan, Inverness Lmtd, woodgrain anymore (unless they absolutely just fell in my lap...even then it would be to resell).  I can even see the day, which I was always so far off in the distance, when my collection is pared down to maybe 4-5 boxes of essentials and the rest sold off to pay for a good nursing home and the occasional hooker.

Mike B.

I was at this point about 3/4 years ago, even sold off an extra copy of Tomo, Invy, woodie ( 2nd ), a Guidon Chainmail and a daystar Pharaoh ( I know some , if not all , went to members here ). Then last week I decided to go through about 15 boxes of things and sort my collection out, per say.

With the exception of rare 4/5's I figured I would keep one SW item ( if I had one ) and one "next best condition" copy of everything I had ( cept Fiend Folios  :twisted:  - see previous postings ). I figured I would have 1, maybe 2 of each of the items and thus breaking down a large part of my collection to sell off. Then I did something stupid..........

I thought I would go to the listings and figure out what print they were and keep the oldest print, which in-turn became " WTH I'll keep one of each printing"  8O . I doing that I basically gave myself something different, yet TSR related, to collect because I am missing many printings of certain items  :roll:

with freaking so many S1's you would figure I could make "almost" a compleate print run but nooooooooooo....... :evil:

Anyhoot, I always thought being a "print-run-junkie" was a waste of time but here I am now  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:31 pm 

Lordan wrote:Anyhoot, I always thought being a "print-run-junkie" was a waste of time but here I am now  :roll:

Thanks for mentioning this.  I've had a devil of a time figuring out what my collection's focus is.  Multiple copies of the same item is certainly part of it, but beyond that, I don't think I have a focus.

I don't collect modules, except for the old monos (and every variation of them, strangely enough.)  I don't collect 2E, but I let the FR hardcover slip in because I like it.  I don't collect non-TSR, except for a couple of Arduin books.  That may soon change as the JG material keeps beckoning.

I do collect multiple printings of OD&D/1E rulebooks, and most importantly, I collect "junk" items.  I have a spectacularly poor B2, a 1st print MM with insect damage (and another with the cover coming off), and a GDQ1-7 with a cigarette wound.  I have a Cthulhu DDG that has been through a few wars, as well.  I'm really bummed that my 3rd woodgrain printing in fair/poor condition seems to have been lost in the mail.   :evil:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:47 pm 

That was a woodgrain you were talking about on your other post?  Now I know why you were upset.   :cry:

Mark    8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:54 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:That was a woodgrain you were talking about on your other post?  Now I know why you were upset.   :cry:

Mark    8)

It was a woodgrain and some supplements in a creatively bound format.  As I'm currently working things out with the seller I'll refrain from posting the auction urls, but considering they fell into my price bracket, you can imagine the condition was not what most people would consider "collectible".

That being said, I mourn the loss of the books more than the loss of a hundred bucks.  I can always make more money.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:   I am working on Thieves Guild.

I've considered grabbing the old Chaosium TG box. I've seen it up on eBay several times. I was a huge fan of the book series back in the '80s.

You know that Green Ronin recently published a new d20 Thieves World book and a few suppliments, right? Good stuff. Very complimentary to the fictional universe.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:52 pm 

I don't know about Green Ronin.  Different Worlds owns the rights to Thieves Guild.

Thieves Guild and Thieves World are different properties.

I would probably want the Thieves World box, but right at the moment they are going for more than I will pay.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:19 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I don't know about Green Ronin.  Different Worlds owns the rights to Thieves Guild.

Thieves Guild and Thieves World are different properties.

I would probably want the Thieves World box, but right at the moment they are going for more than I will pay.

Oops! *blush* Totally misread your first post, and got "Guild" mixed up with "World". Duh.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:23 pm 

Modules, baby! Gots to have 'em — can't get enough.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:16 pm 

I've decided to extend my collection to include all TSR products bearing the lizard logo. I think that I already have every D&D and AD&D item with the lizard logo. Just acquired Legions of the Petal throne and Classic Warfare. Did early Gamma World and Boot Hill games have the lizardman?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:34 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:I've decided to extend my collection to include all TSR products bearing the lizard logo. I think that I already have every D&D and AD&D item with the lizard logo. Just acquired Legions of the Petal throne and Classic Warfare. Did early Gamma World and Boot Hill games have the lizardman?

Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha, yes. Not sure about Boot Hill, but I would guess so.

PreviousNext