What is the main focus of your collection.
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:30 am 

I can see I am the boring one here - pre-1988 TSR, anything D&D or AD&D related.  I go for the best condition possible, but am not intrested in SW.  I look for earlier printings, but I won't break the bank if I can get a later printing on the cheap.  I have a small, growing collection so if anybody has anything for sale...

There is no edition but first.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:41 am 

You may want to send a email to Sir_Kill_Alot as Len has doubles of D&D/AD&D modules in great condition. Other than that, post a classifieds on the classifieds section and I am sure someone can help you out.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:23 am 

McDuff wrote:
Mkman wrote:Also Brett, tell me about the Crown of the Summerlands tournament module you have that is supposedly ran at a convention in Detroit in the late 70s.
 Coolness, I had begun to think Crown of the Summerlands was a home brewed module.  I had asked on the newsgroup a couple times, but no one recognized it.  My copy has a comb binding, a plian beige cover.  The author is Shawn Williams and there is no copyright date. I bought it from someone in the Mid-West so Detroit makes sense.  I collect anything that catches my eye, just so long as I do not have to pay more than $5 for it.  :)  The Internet has allowed me to purchase quite a few items from the author.  Whenever I do this, I ask the author to sign it.

Well 3 years later and it arrives... long story...

40 pages, comb binding written by Shawn R Williams, with description as above typed single sided, 3 Dungeon levels with Tournament Scoring System and pre generated characters a Druid/Cleric, Fighter, Thief and Magic User. Designed for Advanced D&D rules, so this was prob run in the very late 70's or early 80's...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:58 am 

I started with the idea of collecting all TSR products up to 3rd edition.  As I got into it I found the list was long, so I've modified the objective to 1st edition at the moment.  Perhaps re-expand to 2nd edition later.  3rd and later will not be of interest, ever.

However, I do collect different print runs.  

Condition is important, but not critical.  It depends on what the item is.

The main limitation is price.  I try to limit myself to $100 per month.

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:00 am 

I am sitting here reading this thread and thinking WTF?...who are these people?  Then I looked at the dates the posts were made and the light bulb went off.  I need more coffee in the morning.  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:46 pm 

I started with picking up the 1st edition hardcovers that I played with way back when then moved into trying to pick up all of the mainstream TSR products for 1st and 2nd Edition and all of their other games such Boothill, Top Secret, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Frontiers, etc etc.  Lately I have been on a real big nonTSR D&D and Canadian D&D items kick.

Like most people here I spend way too much right now and am a bit out of control considering I am a student.  When I get a real paying job, I will probably start collecting some of the higher priced rare items but right now $200 is probably my upper limit on a single item unless its a Warriors of Mars.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:56 pm 

Everything Dungeons and dragons related

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 pm 

Wow, talk about yer thread necromancy!

*Rise! Rise o ancient thread of collecting focus!*

:D

Anyway, it's a good thread. I have several different areas I concentrate on:

I like the old Judges Guild stuff and I've been trying to get all the good stuff from them. I'm well on my way in that area too. Still need a few more items, but I'm almost done there. I don't want to get *everything* that JG published, just the good and collectible stuff. And also, condition doesn't have to be perfect for me as along as it's in okay shape.

The other thing I like to collect is Gamma World stuff. GW has gone through 6 editions (7 if you count Metamorphosis Alpha). There's a lot of stuff to get for it, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming. Right now I'm concentrating on just getting all the editions (actually I just won an auction for a 3rd edition the other day, so the only thing I need now is a 2nd edition). I'll move on to all the modules and suppliments after that.

Another interest I have is just to try to get stuff that is influential or important to RPG history. For instance, I just got a 1st edition Runequest book not too long ago, and I'm thinking about getting other editions of Runequest too. I've also got an OCE D&D set, a Blue-box Basic D&D set, a 1st edition Boot Hill boxed set, a 5th edition Tunnels & Trolls book and some other items like that. I'd like to get 1st ed Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Chivalry & Sorcery, and other stuff like that.

I still buy and collect new RPG stuff too. My collection of new books is much larger than my collection of old stuff. I've got a pretty decent collection of White Wolf stuff (especially the Changeling line - I've got all the books from that game). I've got a numbered and signed copy of Burning Wheel (a pretty cool independent game). Stuff like that.

Overall, it's just a helluva lot of fun collecting!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:15 pm 

Not very focussed, really.

My core goal is: all 1st + 2nd ed adventures/modules and 'core rules'.

I still get other lots of other things though: JG adventures, a couple ODD items, etc.

The further removed from this, the more interest drops.  (ie, 2nd ed accessories would be '1 level removed', 3rd ed accessories would be '2', etc).  I generally won't touch 3rd party accessories/supplements ever, only adventures.
Also I have no hope (or desire) to sink big money on the Big Dogs.  I'd far, far rather have 500 ordinary items than 1 ST1.  I would snag affordable pdfs/reprints/damaged copies of uberpriced items, though just for content value, though.

Condition isn't a great big consideration for me, as long as the price is appropriate to the condition.  And again, I'd rather have 2-3 items in average shape than 1 mint in shrink.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:29 pm 

Anything that takes my fancy with no real goal or focus in mind. I'm drawn to the non-TSR because the TSR products seem too easy to get a hold of. I can pick them up anytime.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:53 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:Well 3 years later and it arrives... long story...

40 pages, comb binding written by Shawn R Williams, with description as above typed single sided, 3 Dungeon levels with Tournament Scoring System and pre generated characters a Druid/Cleric, Fighter, Thief and Magic User. Designed for Advanced D&D rules, so this was prob run in the very late 70's or early 80's...

Hey Brette, can you please email me some additoinal details, so that I can include this in my tourneys listing?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:57 pm 

When I started collecting I focused on just 1st and 2nd edition AD&D.  I wasnt very interested in non-TSR items either.  Now after almost 7 years of collecting I have branched out quite extensively and also collect:

OD&D
Star Frontiers
Shadowrun
Vampire
Alternity/Stardrive
Transhuman Space
Traveller/MegaTraveller/TNE/2300AD
Judges Guild D&D and Traveller
Marvel Super Heroes
MERP
Harpoon

I am sure I am forgetting something.  I have also picked up a few items here and there for Morrow Project, Aftermath, Rifts, and Twilight: 2000.  I really get into anything post-apocalyptic so at some point in time I am sure I will start going after Gamma World too.  I look at the GW auctions every so often and they seem very popular right now and are always garnering high prices.

The D&D rares would be cool to have (I have a few) but since I really cant afford them I just concentrate on the common stuff.  I would love to have all of the TSR published miniatures rule supplements such as Don't Give Up The Ship, Boot Hill, Bio-One, etc....just because they are cool.  But they just keep going up in price all the time.  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:13 pm 

I'm one of those guys that has to have everything.

As to condition, I'll settle for VG and better.

I tend to buy stuff (for not a lot of money) when something catches my eye, then see if the seller has other items. If they do, I bid on those also if the price is right.

I don't really care how long it takes, I view it as (one of my many) hobbies, and it does keep me out of the bars/pubs.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:14 am 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:Wow, talk about yer thread necromancy!

*Rise! Rise o ancient thread of collecting focus!*

:D

Anyway, it's a good thread. I have several different areas I concentrate on:

I like the old Judges Guild stuff and I've been trying to get all the good stuff from them. I'm well on my way in that area too. Still need a few more items, but I'm almost done there. I don't want to get *everything* that JG published, just the good and collectible stuff. And also, condition doesn't have to be perfect for me as along as it's in okay shape.

The other thing I like to collect is Gamma World stuff. GW has gone through 6 editions (7 if you count Metamorphosis Alpha). There's a lot of stuff to get for it, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming. Right now I'm concentrating on just getting all the editions (actually I just won an auction for a 3rd edition the other day, so the only thing I need now is a 2nd edition). I'll move on to all the modules and suppliments after that.

Another interest I have is just to try to get stuff that is influential or important to RPG history. For instance, I just got a 1st edition Runequest book not too long ago, and I'm thinking about getting other editions of Runequest too. I've also got an OCE D&D set, a Blue-box Basic D&D set, a 1st edition Boot Hill boxed set, a 5th edition Tunnels & Trolls book and some other items like that. I'd like to get 1st ed Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Chivalry & Sorcery, and other stuff like that.

I still buy and collect new RPG stuff too. My collection of new books is much larger than my collection of old stuff. I've got a pretty decent collection of White Wolf stuff (especially the Changeling line - I've got all the books from that game). I've got a numbered and signed copy if Burning Wheel (a pretty cool independent game). Stuff like that.

Overall, it's just a helluva lot of fun collecting!

Yes I though is wasn't a bad (if old) thread. I was searching for something to do with the Crown of the Summerlands and this was I think the only Googled site. I've almost finished my 1st, 2nd ed of D&D/AD&D stuff (except for the rare stuff= cat5) and a lot of my other stuff is getting harder and harder to find, I think I'll post a big wanted list at some stage, also a big for sale list as well, as I seem to have acquire more and more doubles and some of it is some nice stuff :lol:  I have been interested in more independent non D20 stuff lately ie Burning Wheel (I have no 121/1000)  I just got a whole heap of stuff that has been in storage in the states for 3 years, inc a nice looking complete print run of different worlds...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:25 am 

I love AD&D mods. Especially ones I played in my younger days. I am trying to get a complete collection of 1st Ed mods, including the B's and X's. But there is another thing I like to collect. Odd books. What I mean to say is books like the Arcanum (1st ed) and books like The Book of Demons. To look through them and see distinctly different art work (I'm to the point where I can't stand seeing Braum and Easly). Different spell casting systems with different spells. Doubly true if the book looks occultish.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:48 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:I love AD&D mods. Especially ones I played in my younger days. I am trying to get a complete collection of 1st Ed mods, including the B's and X's. But there is another thing I like to collect. Odd books. What I mean to say is books like the Arcanum (1st ed) and books like The Book of Demons. To look through them and see distinctly different art work (I'm to the point where I can't stand seeing Braum and Easly). Different spell casting systems with different spells. Doubly true if the book looks occultish.

Maybe it is about time to resurrect that old "favorite D&D module" thread?  Those old modules are what I started out collecting.  I remember when I picked up my B10 and X10 several years ago and how happy I was that I finally got them because they were so popular.

Regarding The Arcanum, that was the first non-TSR item I bought after I started collecting.  My DM back in high school got one for his birthday and I had wanted one ever since.  I have the 2nd printing though with the red pentacle...or is it a pentagram...cant quite recall.  Very cool regardless.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 pm 

In numbers (volume), family boardgames, USA only, 1875-1999.
I'm not picky; I just want one of everything, and usually ignore printings (but not always).

Plus all TSR and related items (eg licenses) 1972-1986.

As a sidelight, an assortment of other RPGs from various publishers worldwide (mostly for design reference) and RPG accessories ditto (e.g. Judges Guild), tho not maniacally).

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:48 pm 

Everything TSR and related.  That's quite a bit...  Different printings when the opportunity presents itself.  Non-TSR when they are interesting.

PreviousNext