What is the main focus of your collection.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:56 am 

Hello.   I have noticed by deduction from reading posts that some collectors are actually interested in differing degrees of collecting. It seems as though some collect everything , quite ambitious. Some actually collect every printing of let's say 1st edition D&D. Some collect only AD&D and not D&D.....  Anyhow. What is the focus of your collection?  I tend to focus on rare Adventures of the older variety, the coveted tournament dungeons, etc. I enjoy reading through the material and daydreaming about a time gone by. I find that I buy non-TSR stuff if it has interesting cover art or unusual content. I am not so aggressive about newer edition material or rules aids. I dont find myself needing to have the Woodgrain edition of D&D rules for example.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:22 pm 

I'm beginning to collect foreign tsr items but may give up if they prove too hard  :lol:  However, I have a big expert and collector of foreign items giving me  a hand so it might not be a problem.  I also collect non tsr items big TIME! Anything old, cheesy, weird, etc!  I also collect tolkien boardgames <--I got caught up in the tolkien movie craze  8)  Happy to say that I have some of the "holy grails" in tolkien boardgames and have more knowledge on them than some of the old tolkien/wargame collectors who are grumpy, fat, and mean guys who never share knowledge 8)   Not interested in D&D, AD&D, or 3rd ed. Thats why I'm selling and trading off my collection. I'll stick with foreign tsr and non tsr for now.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:48 pm 

I focus a lot on Greyhawk, as well as early materials, in particular tournaments.  Like Adam, I don't feel the need to own every single thing in most instances, though I do find it hard to pass up a good bargain when I see one :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:44 am 

My focus is generally 1st Edition stuff.  I am however, a Greyhawk lover, and try to pickup anything within this setting.  I find myself a 'slave to the shrink' and will sometimes go out of my way (usually with poor financial judgement) to acquire something of this nature.  Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:53 am 

Hey Len,  I would never let my itchy ebay trigger finger escape my better financial judgement. :roll:   I do find myself picking up SW items. I actually have considered displaying them in a retail store display rack. :oops: :lol:   Adam

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:06 am 

I would never let my itchy ebay trigger finger escape my better financial judgement.
 That's my problem...Especially with an item that has taken a long time to show itself on the market...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:23 am 

As a student, I shouldn't be spending too much but I do! I have itchy finger when it comes to something I think I do not have or something I would like doubles of.  Many people are like Len who want "everything" in the shrink. Very hard feat and very costly especially nowadays. If your the collector who has been collecting for a while, deals were to be had early on in the newsgroup and in the early years of ebay. However, now you will have to pay a pretty fortune to find that rare desired item especially in the shrink.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:13 am 

I enjoy reading through the material and daydreaming about a time gone by.
 Couldn't have said it better  :D   I collect all the D&D AD&D modules of my youth. I also collect early dungeon & dragon magazines. I really enjoy my collection of AD&D (ral partha) miniatures.  8)   I try not to get an itchy trigger finger, but some items you don't see to often and when you do lookout  8O  I pride myself on picking up bargains, nothing like grabbing that nice D&D module for a $1 or that miniature for $2. If it takes 10 years to build my collection that would be great, since part of the fun is the hunt itself.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:46 am 

If it takes 10 years to build my collection that would be great, since part of the fun is the hunt itself.
 I don't have the patience to try that! I try to obtain everything at once! Very bad for my financial situation when I do that!! I'm sure a few collectors can agree with me that they go all out when they have a certain focus they collect.  Lets add something to this topic, DOES anyone here care about the condition of the items in their collection?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:01 pm 

Lets add something to this topic, DOES anyone here care about the condition of the items in their collection?
 Call me vain, Mike....Condition is everything!   I just can't get the same satisfaction from something that looks like it was run through a shredder.  
If it takes 10 years to build my collection that would be great, since part of the fun is the hunt itself.
 I totally agree.  I am very patient and have quite some time before I (hopefully) hand my collection down to my son.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:36 pm 

I definitely think condition is everything for an item and I tend to collect items in the best condition for my collection. However there are exceptions when it gets to super rare items that many have never heard of. Wee Warriors Dragonlord, I would take in any condition as it IS RARE!  Lets hope your son is being taught to play AD&D,etc right now so when he grows up he will enjoy and appreciate the items if you pass it on to him. Otherwise, pass them on to me :-) :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:28 pm 

Hey all,  I would add early convention handbooks to my items of interest. I have amassed quite a few of them from GenCon, MichiCon, WinterCon, etc dating back to '77. It is really fun to find out info on various TSR and gaming community personalities, as well as, see what dungeons they actually ran and what personalities GM the campaigns. Latest tidbit I unearthed is they actually ran Deep Dwarven Delve at GenCon in '79 many years prior to printing it with the 25th anniversary collectors set. Len Lakofka actually GM this dungeon at the tournament.  Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:14 pm 

I recall that Easterbrook collects tournament modules. If Brett sees this topic pls come in and tell us about your focus on tournament modules. Must be very hard and time consuming. Also Brett, tell me about the Crown of the Summerlands tournament module you have that is supposedly ran at a convention in Detroit in the late 70s.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:09 pm 

Mkman wrote:Also Brett, tell me about the Crown of the Summerlands tournament module you have that is supposedly ran at a convention in Detroit in the late 70s.
 Coolness, I had begun to think Crown of the Summerlands was a home brewed module.  I had asked on the newsgroup a couple times, but no one recognized it.  My copy has a comb binding, a plian beige cover.  The author is Shawn Williams and there is no copyright date. I bought it from someone in the Mid-West so Detroit makes sense.  I collect anything that catches my eye, just so long as I do not have to pay more than $5 for it.  :)  The Internet has allowed me to purchase quite a few items from the author.  Whenever I do this, I ask the author to sign it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:11 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:Latest tidbit I unearthed is they actually ran Deep Dwarven Delve at GenCon in '79 many years prior to printing it with the 25th anniversary collectors set. Len Lakofka actually GM this dungeon at the tournament.
 Hey Adam, that's great!  If you have other details like that, I'd love to pick your brain and add them to my Greyhawk/OD&D tourney history at Greyhawk's Tournament History

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:20 am 

The TSR folks did show up and run tournaments themselves at the early Origins.  I got killed by a giant tick at Origins I.  At Origins II, Tim Kask (Dragon editor at one time) GM'd our group.  We won the tournament and I got a subscription to The Dragon (ended up being issues 2-7).  I also remember Gygax's kid (Ernie I believe) was kind of a pill.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:22 am 

Sorry been busy at work for a couple of days... :(   Haven't seen the Crown of the Summerlands module yet, its too arrive... So i'll update when i get it...  Yes I do collect tourney modules, have a large collection of Australia ones, you would be supprised at how professional these have been made , I also have some spare ones to trade :wink:   Generally I'm collecting non-tsr stuff and foreign stuff and have also really started to collect some zines, also small press items with low print runs, I'm particuarly interested in RPG's that were made inn Australia, most of these you would of never heard and to be honest they are extremely difficult to get here let alone overseas...., haven't been active in collecting them though, I spend way too much time at work... Hint Hint.. if anyone want to sell me stuff please give me a price! I tend to buy LARGE lots as this saves me a lot in shipping, basically anything I don't have I'm interested in...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:04 am 

[quote="Adam Shultz"]I would add early convention handbooks to my items of interest. Adam[/quote]  At the moment I'm mainly interested in gaming magazines and, if chance occurs, D&D British items (they are pricey, but they are really few: so far I have the B1 D&D module Games Workshop edition, the Northern Sages' Star Stone campaign, the Integrated Games' Complete Dungeon Master series third box...). I attempted to build a 'proper' D&D collection and I went far with it, but one day I realized that all these books (all this money :wink: ) were sitting on my shelves and I had no use for them. So I kept the various D&D sets, the AD&D rulebooks, some titles who I really loved (such as the Creature Catalog and the Temple of Elemental Evil) and I sold the rest.   Being interested in TSR as a company, I actively search for catalogs, flyers, company newsletters and so on. I have quite a good number of them, but I need more.   And I have this interest for D&D in Italian. Well, I have everything that has been offically published by Editrice Giochi (and a lot of doubles if anyone is interested) and many, many titles 'compatible' or explicitely defined as 'D&D adventures' in the '80s, when EG was not very aggressive and TSR simply never ever heard of them. One titles keeps eluding me, but before or after... :D )

Next