A Somewhat Perplexing Auction Now on Ebay...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:39 pm 

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I did not get any dice in mine. Bought it new 20+/- years ago.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:24 am 

I would suggest that the way to correctly handle shills as a SELLER would be to disregard any non-paying shillers, report them to Ebay and offer the first non-shill bidder the win at the price just above the highest NON-shill bid.

So, if an auction looks like this at the end.

MrShill (0)       $51.50
ShillBoy(-1)     $50.00
Mr.Shill (0)       $49.00
RealBuyer(123) $48.00
Shillboy (-1)       $46.00
RealBuyer(123)  $45.00
ShillBoy(-1)        $35.00
Honestdood(166)   $34.00
ShillBoy(0)           $33.00

You should sell the item to 'RealBuyer' for $35.00 (if he wants it) since there's a non shiller in there willing to pay 34.00.  It's still not perfect because it may not have gotten to 34.00 in the first place, however, you at least have 2 honest buyers willing to hit the 34.00 pricepoint so it seems fair to give the nod to the highest honest bidder.

Then again, you can't predict if Honesdood's bids would have been higher if the shills hadn't shown up and scared him off.

Shills are bad, bad people...  But at least this way an honest sell and honest buyer can come to an arrangement without relisting all the time.

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:19 pm 

That's a good strategy.  I've always dealt with shills by acting completely innocent of their ways.  If I suspect a non-winner after the auction, I block that bidder; but if they win, I send them an invoice normally.

If they don't pay, I take four steps:
* Block them.
* Give them a negative.
* Search their bid list and notify every seller they are currently bidding from of the nature of the transaction.
* Notify eBay.

If they give a negative in return, let all of the above-mentioned sellers know that this is the case.

Usually, shill accounts have low feedback levels.  Honest sellers are tired enough of shills and undeserved negative feedback that they'll blast him with negs of their own, usually resulting in a -4 rating and the suspension of the shill from eBay.  At that point, the underserved negatives revert to neutrals.

Not perfect, but it works.

Previous