A Somewhat Perplexing Auction Now on Ebay...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:30 am 

Check out this auction bid history for a white box with 3 days still left...

eBay.com Item Bid History

It's David Van Wie in the lead again even though he's already won four white boxes in the past couple weeks.  In fact, he currently has winning bids on five more white boxes.  Maybe he's planning to start a colony with them.   :wink:

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the seller?  
The new "0" feedback bidder, neilflora201, has only been an eBay member since March 9th, and has only bid on this one particular auction for a white box, even though there are four other auctions going on right now on eBay for a white box with lower bids.  The new bidder is pumping up the price and there's still plenty of time left. Does this seem a bit strange...?   8O

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:58 am 

Looks like a shill to me.  Don't quite understand why David Van Wie is bidding on so many of these.  Maybe he plans to build a house with them?  Pretty expensive bricks...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:32 am 

I do not know, I cannot seem to figure DavidVanWie out. He has won original D&D boxes with top bids ranging from $78 to $635. The account was created in September of 2001 but it had 0 feedback responses until the past 3 weeks. In mid-February he seems to have gone toe-to-toe with another buyer, tclayton4sq0. The tclayton account was created in May 2000 and had minimal usage until the past month (starting Feb 16th and only 6 days before DavidVanWie started his bidding run).

Since DavidVanWie has won a boxed set for $77 why would he jump as high as $700...surely knowing that they can be had for much less.

And tclayton is another enigma...$161 for a second print MM?!? $280 for a first print basic set? $760 for an original D&D boxed set...and the absolute killer: $61 on a buy it now for "the History of TSR" booklet TAKEN FROM THE ANNIVERSARY BOXED SET !!!???!!!!

Please someone help explain this to me.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:59 am 

Anyone want to contact him and invite him to the forum to either explain his madness or let us educate him?

Maybe he's got more money than he knows what to do with... we could all use a friend like that! :lol:

Yeah.. it's weird. I tried to think like a Master Thief and come up with a way someone could profit from what he's doing... and unless he knows that the cure for cancer will be found as a derivitive of the ink in White Box sets, I don't see how he's going to make it profitable..

I also don't see how having LOTS of white boxes is more fun than owning one (or maybe two).

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:23 am 

Maybe David VanWie is an investor?  His plan could be to keep these all nicely kept and untouched and sell them in 30 years. . . granted, he is often paying a lot more than he should for them, but I am sure than 100 White Boxes will turn a nice profit in the year 2040.

8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:50 am 

I tried to come up with a rational reason to horde-at-any-price.

There isn't one. Buying and saving for 20 or 30 years at the prices he is paying is just plain idiotic. And I mean idiotic - insult implied. Just take the money he spent on these things and invest it in something simple - janus or fidelity mutual fund; not some high risk investment, just something simple and proven. You would easily make more money; probably 10 fold from the save and resell technique.

This theory also assumes a market for this stuff in 20 years. I am not convinced. Just look at the comic industry...And don't give me the comparison of Superman #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15. Buying a white box is more comparable to buying a mid-70s number one comic...say Nova #1 or Spider-Woman #1. And that comparison might be too generous.

There is good market for collecting now due to a certain demographic purchaser - 30-40 year olds who played in their teens; fond memories, etc. That trend will most likely deteriorate. Items that were mass produced with numerous editions will not increase in value; not when compared to true, rare collectables: low print runs with a single edition.

A simple example would be Dragon #1. The price on that thing hasn't changed significantly in 15 years.

No. This is a case of either ignorance of the product - he really believes it is the first ever creation of D&D - bad intel. If it is of some sinister plan - deny other purchasers to drive the price up...I got a bridge in Kansas for you... 8O

Then there is the apocolypse. What if you buy all this stuff (as investment) and your house burns down, floods, etc... Good luck getting your insurance company to pay up. I bet less than 2% of us actually have this stuff insured. I know I don't, and I have some damn expensive things.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:42 am 

Since I was invited to respond...

PurpleDragon wrote:...<snip>...he seems to have gone toe-to-toe with another buyer, tclayton4sq0. The tclayton account was created in May 2000 and had minimal usage until the past month (starting Feb 16th and only 6 days before DavidVanWie started his bidding run).

<snip>

And tclayton is another enigma...$161 for a second print MM?!? $280 for a first print basic set? $760 for an original D&D boxed set...and the absolute killer: $61 on a buy it now for "the History of TSR" booklet TAKEN FROM THE ANNIVERSARY BOXED SET !!!???!!!!

Please someone help explain this to me.

-PD

Well, I have used this site at various time and understand the prices being represented here.  Sometimes for me I would rather have the item, then get a great deal.  Remember someone else was willing to pay $1 less than what I was.  I moved recently and came across my boxes of old D&D stuff.  Before that, I only ever purchased some State Quarters on eBay that I was looking for.  I guess I just wanted to fill in some of the memories of the stuff that I remember gaming with back in the late 70's when I was 9 or so years old.  If that seems so strange to all of you (since many of the introductions read that way), then I don't know of any other explanation.

So, to breask down the items:

2nd print MM/1st print basic set - So?  I wanted to have an early addition version.  Sorry if that makes me seem stupid.

6th print original boxed set - Look at little closer.  It also came with three of the supplements.  Still too high a price, probably, but not as crazy as you make it sound.

History of TSR - This one was more of a personal desires.  Look more closely, some other idiot bought it for that price before I did, too.  So, buying another at that price didn't seem that crazy to me.  Since one has sold for less than $10 recently, I guess it was a bad idea.

Basically, once I receive everything and go through and catalog it all, my plan is to re-list the items that are duplicates on eBay.  Will I make back the money?  Probably not...  However, at least I will have reclaimed more of that memory.  Not just for me, but also for my upcoming son...

I have been open here and willing to provide my real contact information.  If you have question, want to flame me in person, fine.  I just hope you realize that all I desire is most likely the same things many of you do.

Oh, and I have no idea who DavidVanWie is except someone that lost to my bids.

Todd

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:45 pm 

Howdy Todd,

Welcome!

Folks, it seems there is a tendency here to be jealous of zealous bidders. Remeber when burntwire came on the scene? People were saying, "Who is this madman?" "He has more money than sense!" And the threads to the effect of, "Stupidest auction price..."

Then we find out what nice guys team burntwire is made up of (Shawn and Devon).

Todd Clayton, David Osteen, and David Van Wie, I have corresponded with and they are every bit as true blue collector as the rest of us. They come here amidst dispersions like "stupid", "idiotic", "foolish", "shill bidder", etc. What a terrible way for people to come into this forum.

Let's lighten up and not be so paranoid about "suspicious" auctions - how many of those "supicious" auctions have turned out to be anything other than genuine? As to the spending habits of others, let's just be glad they are here to bolster the hobby. I personally am elated that people really want this stuff again (and not just because I made money off of it).

It was depressing to see stuff drop in price because that meant people didn't care.

It's easy to get in the bashing business, I am as likely as the next bloke, but let's not let that seep in here.

Welcome one and all! We are glad to have you with us! Bid like crazy for things you want - we all do :D

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:23 pm 

Thanks Paul, I was about to post something along those lines.

Welcome all newcomers! It is good to see the hobby growing.

Thanks to those responsible for contacting these collectors and asking them to join our forum. A well informed collector is a happy collector. :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:30 pm 

$61 for a "History of TSR" booklet? Booooaaahhh ...

:wink:

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:51 pm 

Welcome all :D

I hope my rant above did not offend anyone.

Actually, I really don't care if someone was offended (this new world is way to sensitive), but I certainly was not targeting any specific person. Merely comenting on the theory of overpaying in the hopes of making money down the road. I stand by my post in that regard.

Now to be fair, I have also overpaid for stuff. It is the nature of this beast we call ebay. Sometimes an item will pop up that I have been looking for, and bang, I overpay because I am sick and tired of waiting for a decent copy to come along. And to be perfectly blatant, I can afford to drop $20 or $30 for something trivial, but needed. I want a collection to call my own; I have no plans to sell off. I recently paid $25 for great copy of B12; yeah, it is alot, but I am sick of waiting.

Again, the pattern of someone buying multiple copies - and I mean more than five or six, is just plain strange... 8O  

Honestly, who really cares if someone pays $50 for a mint copy of X1! If they really want it, great. Now if someone is going around buying every copy of X1 - no matter the cost - then we can comment on that...and we probably should. Hell, some guy just paid around $60 for a fifth or sixth printing of the D&D (blue book w/chits) basic set...it is interesting, but so long as we don't see the next dozen go for the same, it is really pretty irrelevant.

Good luck and go get them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:48 pm 

I apologize to tclayton for any of my remarks that may have offended him. I think my strongest statement was "enigma." Not exactly calling someone a "poopie-pants dog face" but you never now how something may come across in type as opposed to face to face.

If any of my statements were taken as to the bidders not being on the level, that was not my intention. I spent about an hour combing through all of the bid histories, feedbacks, etc etc and it was obvious that they were on the up and up. Therefore I did not make any claim as to it being otherwise. Also, at no time did I say that they were working together nor did I call someone stupid.

It was obvious that there were a number of impulse buys (such as the "History of TSR" booklet and that is more of an issue with the seller and not the buyer...although it is a shame to see it happen to a member of this forum, even if only having just joined on).

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:45 pm 

Yeah.. when we all say 'That was a stupid high price to pay' we really mean 'gosh... I wish I had enough money to bid on stuff I wanted like that' *AND* we run to our closets to see if we have said item already.

It's pure Green Eyed Envy/Jealousy bud!

On the other hand.. some of us like finding 'good deals' on Ebay/BookStores and yard sales and we feel 'smart' when we find a good deal.

It's a sad, pathetic way of achieving self-esteem.. but hey.. it's working for me! :)

Seriously, don't take the  stuff as personal criticism.. for example...Burnie's a cool dude and he bids stupidly high! :wink:

I just hope all you guys have budget left for when I get around to auctioning off my stuff (any day now... I swear).

In any case, MOST of the time, we don't spend so much time harping on auction prices and get into fun discussions about 'lost gems' that no one has seen in 20 years or comparing notes on the variances of shrinkwrap (that whole thread cracks me up!).

So, please, stick around and have no compunction about BRAGGING that you've got the winning bid on so many cool items that we'd all love to have.

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:45 pm 

It's pure Green Eyed Envy/Jealousy bud!

Don't know if it's envy in every case.  There are some things on my "want" list that I just refuse to pay hundrends of dollars for.  If someone else is in the position to do that, more power to them.

But I do agree, all this stuff is subjective.  What you find important, and will spend gobs of cash on, I may not.  And what I really want and will pay tons for, you may think is just plain stupid.

And then there are some prices that seem insane in any instance  8O .

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:17 pm 

If someone advertises an X1 as rare or guys pay $96 for a shrink-wrapped RS1 or $150 for the mono D1-3, then I am laughing and I don't care if the buyer is a millionaire or not, because either way this is totally stupid and ridicolous.

So, please, do not stop posting ridicolous auctions. If you catch me bidding on one of them, you can laugh at me, too.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:18 pm 

I have to agree with Ralf. The problem is not just insane bidding, it is a lack of patience, and the American attitude of "must gratify urges immediately". It is what makes us the greatest consumer nation in the world.
Uh, and also what adds to our $77,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 trade deficit. Well, that and NAFTA.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:53 pm 

Ah yes, written like a true New Englander...   :wink:

Actually, I call it American Spirit. That "gotta have it" attitude gave us the internet (no offense to Al Gore).

The trade deficit is definately linked to consumerism, but it is also largely irrelevant (no offense to John Kerry). Purchasing certain items at a low cost because they came from overseas or Mexico allows Americans to spend more money on larger ticket items made in the U.S. (D&D modules on Ebay) 8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:56 pm 

Hey Paul,

I think everyone's waiting to snipe for your current auctions since the folks who had high bids in the final hours last time almost all lost.  Hopefully you get good final bids... it should be interesting.   :D

And since you're in touch with David Van Wie, can you tell us, if it's not private, his motivation behind wanting so many copies of the white box?  
I don't recall ever seeing anyone who kept bidding on the same item every time it came up when he's already won four copies of it previously.  He's not even picky about the condition, and could have bid more to get your woodgrain but didn't.  It's a bit perplexing.  

In any case, a hearty welcome to tclayton.  Welcome to the forum and don't mistake our seeming contentiousness for unfriendliness!

Next