Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 am 

"Domesday?" cracked the voice of the old bookshop owner. "Never heard of it," he sniggered. "But...", he looks around the empty shop shadily while too - tall stacks of books creak and teeter, "if you're looking for valued and lost tomes of lore," quickly his hands snap up from below the counter, "then this here is what you need."

Your party hovers over your shoulders in one gentle movement. It certainly looks old and quite possibly rare. But...the shopkeeper had never heard of the Domesday Collection. The-Domesday-Collection. How could he be trusted on this?

Sensing your hesitancy the shop owner makes it clear that this is a deal. "It has to be a deal! After all I didn't name the shop HalfPrice Books fer nuthin'."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:43 am 

I found an out of the way used book store a little while ago... lots of stacks, dusty, the unmistakable smell of old books :)  I asked the shopkeeper if he had any rpgs... started to shake his head then had a sudden notion... sure, out in the storage shed, he syas.  So there we went, out of the store, across his parking lot, into a dark shed on the back corner of his property.  No lights, he literally pulled out a flashlight to work his way to the back.  Tons of books, all dustier than the ones in his store.  To the back we went to his rpg stash... no one has set eyes on these books in ages, could be anything I was thinking... and there they were, some 2e players handbooks and the complete books of.  In crappy shape to boot.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:38 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:I found an out of the way used book store a little while ago... lots of stacks, dusty, the unmistakable smell of old books :)  I asked the shopkeeper if he had any rpgs... started to shake his head then had a sudden notion... sure, out in the storage shed, he syas.  So there we went, out of the store, across his parking lot, into a dark shed on the back corner of his property.  No lights, he literally pulled out a flashlight to work his way to the back.  Tons of books, all dustier than the ones in his store.  To the back we went to his rpg stash... no one has set eyes on these books in ages, could be anything I was thinking... and there they were, some 2e players handbooks and the complete books of.  In crappy shape to boot.

Lol

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:32 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:I found an out of the way used book store a little while ago... lots of stacks, dusty, the unmistakable smell of old books :)  I asked the shopkeeper if he had any rpgs... started to shake his head then had a sudden notion... sure, out in the storage shed, he syas.  So there we went, out of the store, across his parking lot, into a dark shed on the back corner of his property.  No lights, he literally pulled out a flashlight to work his way to the back.  Tons of books, all dustier than the ones in his store.  To the back we went to his rpg stash... no one has set eyes on these books in ages, could be anything I was thinking... and there they were, some 2e players handbooks and the complete books of.  In crappy shape to boot.

:)   I bet half of "The Complete Book of . . ." were psionics, and the other half ninjas.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:52 am 

The other half were Wizards ... and Psionics.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:26 pm 

aspekt wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:The other half were Wizards ... and Psionics.
staro wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:  :)   I bet half of "The Complete Book of . . ." were psionics, and the other half ninjas.

:)  Exactly.  One man's trash is another man's... trash.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:27 am 

aspekt wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Drumroll please! Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the soon to be winner of the 2015 Silliest Action Price of the Year .....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Oooohh, HPB is giving you the eBay deal!

They're selling the same thing for $9,999.98 + $3.99 shipping on Amazon...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:12 pm 

This has got to be a seriously screwed piece of code in their software, a disgruntled, bored employee... or a money laundering scheme. HPB has been doing this randomly for some time now.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:43 pm 

Had a guy on Abebooks respond to my surprised inquiry regarding the old $9000.00 common item.  He said the shop did that when they were out of stock but didn't want to take down the listing because a) it's hard to make a new one, and b) they expect more stock "soon".  I wonder if HPB has adopted the same "strategy"?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:53 am 

A plausible point.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:17 pm 

well at least the dice are in "very good condition" for the low price of $150

:roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:00 pm 

misterspock wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:well at least the dice are in "very good condition" for the low price of $150

:roll:

Possibly got "a bit" carried away having seen

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:54 pm 

ok that's funny!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:23 pm 

Dang! Wish I could get this kind of price on gold box series minis. I'm usually lucky to get $20.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 pm 

Thread locked at 100 pages.  New thread is here: New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year.

Foul

Previous
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111