Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:04 pm 

Gah!!!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

:o

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:14 pm 

If it's who I think it is, that guy is infamous on the Greytalk list.

I'd wager the BIN that you'd be right in that assumption. Infamous is not the correct word - reviled by some, perhaps. Me, I stopped caring. If you want some fun... go to Necromancer Games and ask them who "spellbinder" is. Heheh.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:29 pm 

serleran wrote:
I'd wager the BIN that you'd be right in that assumption. Infamous is not the correct word - reviled by some, perhaps. Me, I stopped caring. If you want some fun... go to Necromancer Games and ask them who "spellbinder" is. Heheh.

Randy..yeah what a crazy time was had on the Necromancer Games boards then.  Course I do have his Dreadmire book.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:25 pm 

mandalaymoon wrote:If it's who I think it is, that guy is infamous on the Greytalk list.  He's been accused of plagiarizing other Greytalkers' material, woefully transparent sock puppetry and organizing a disastrous Greyhawk Legends convention in Lake Geneva a few years ago.  I don't recall all the details since these were long flame fests on the list that I tended to skip over, but others here could probably fill in more details from dealing with him personally.  I'd steer clear in any case.

He's the reason I QUIT the Greytalk list many years ago...every other week he seemed to be the center of attention..and not in a good way.

Ok, the Greyhawk Legends convention is a new one for me...what's the story?  Did he try to have a convention and no one came?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm 

Badmike wrote:
He's the reason I QUIT the Greytalk list many years ago...every other week he seemed to be the center of attention..and not in a good way.

Ok, the Greyhawk Legends convention is a new one for me...what's the story?  Did he try to have a convention and no one came?

Mike B.

Randy wasn't much of anything. For awhile there Greytalk was dead, then it got hijacked by the old AOL crowd and turned into a website.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm 

JZavoda wrote:

Randy wasn't much of anything. For awhile there Greytalk was dead, then it got hijacked by the old AOL crowd and turned into a website.

Too bad, Greytalk was really fun for awhile.  I remember the fiction you posted, Jason, it seemed one bit was a long story involving G1, I really liked that.  You had a few others based in Greyhawk.  And there were lots of really informative articles through the years, until Randy started stealing everything and reprinting it as his own material.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:04 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Too bad, Greytalk was really fun for awhile.  I remember the fiction you posted, Jason, it seemed one bit was a long story involving G1, I really liked that.  You had a few others based in Greyhawk.  And there were lots of really informative articles through the years, until Randy started stealing everything and reprinting it as his own material.

Mike B.

I know that the website was called canonfire. It absorbed the Oerth Journal. I was helping take care of my Dad at the time while he was dying of lung cancer so I gave up on the zine and the greytalk list. I didn't think much of Randy though I don't know what kind of seller he'd be, but some of the guys from the OJ turned out to be real double dealing bastards.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 pm 

Ok... This is rather hopeful for a Forgotten Realms set ....

Starting bid $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Dungeon-Dr ... dZViewItem

The seller also has a few other auctions a tad overpriced.

8O

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:49 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:The seller also has a few other auctions a tad overpriced.

Not to mention a tad under-described.

It's like they didn't even try.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 am 

B4, not jaw dropping, but wishful thinking, particularly in mediocre condition (which is described as "excellent," of course).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 am 

Here's another wishful thinker, X11 for $50 or a $99.99 BIN.  Maybe the "water stain" adds value...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:27 am 

Badmike wrote:Ok, the Greyhawk Legends convention is a new one for me...what's the story?  Did he try to have a convention and no one came?

If I remember the story right, he said he had a boat hired on Lake Geneva to take out all the Wisconsin luminaries on a gaming cruise including Gygax, Lisa Stevens at WotC and many others.  Problem is it seems he didn't hire the boat and the whole group was left standing on the dock.  Perhaps Frank (exTSR) or someone else can fill in the details.  

The release of his book, Dreadmire, was when I stopped collecting all d20 indiscriminately.  I couldn't bear to buy his book no matter how rare and/or valuable it could become some day.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:56 am 

just a question

is this:

right to be posted here? or to be posted in the nice findings? or none of them?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:34 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Ok... This is rather hopeful for a Forgotten Realms set ....

Starting bid $100

The seller also has a few other auctions a tad overpriced.

8O

And "Box is a little torn on the side".

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 am 

This seems out of line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=009

Especially when you consider I picked this up last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=008

Maybe it was because the shipping was 45 cents less. 8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 am 

benjoshua wrote:This seems out of line:

$20 is wishful thinking but I wouldn't call it exactly out of line. Dungeon was an incredible magazine. One of the best things TSR put out. The early issues were hard to find before ebay became a household name. But I think it will be a little while (probably a couple of years) before the early issues hit $20 apiece.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 am 

JZavoda wrote:
I know that the website was called canonfire. It absorbed the Oerth Journal. I was helping take care of my Dad at the time while he was dying of lung cancer so I gave up on the zine and the greytalk list. I didn't think much of Randy though I don't know what kind of seller he'd be, but some of the guys from the OJ turned out to be real double dealing bastards.

Wow....backstabbing in Greyhawk....who woulda thunk it?  :twisted:   I have been perusing the forums of Canonfire! for years, and of course I have read every Oerth Journal from top to bottom.  I didnt realize there were that many members of the Assassin's and Thieves Guild amongst their ranks.  :wink:   Sounds like a pretty interesting story there Jason.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 am 

benjoshua wrote:This seems out of line:

Or maybe because your copy only shipped to the US.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111