The 8 stages of being a collector
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:46 am 

Just thinking about the current high prices and yet the reasonable price of the mono C2 and I came up with a theory.

The 8 stages a collector goes through :
1. Collector-to-be turns 30+
2. Discovers ebay - does some searches - is amazed by how much stuff there is
2. After a little while, thinks "hey I wonder if there's X on ebay?" where X is something from childhood
3. Discovers there is and is yet again amazed by how much stuff there is
4. Puts some bids in and wins some of those items they always wanted when they were young
5. Starts to get a bit carried away by the whole thing and puts in some pretty silly bids just to win auctions
6. Figures out that there seem to be some popular/expensive items "Wow those H1's go for lots!" and lays out some big money
7. After a while sees that they maybe paid too much and does some more research - googles and finds acaeum or equivalent priceguide
8. Only then starts salivating after really rare stuff

I'd say it can take up to 6 months to get to stage 8.
It seems that there are currently lots of people at stage 5 & 6.
So perhaps in 6 months or so there'll be an increase in the prices of rarer stuff.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am 

I think you are dead on.

Collecting is definately the realm of the 30+ crowd. Due in large part to the connection of old school AD&D and the fact that we may have owned alot of the stuff and it disappeared through the years.

One important facet, though, is simply more disposable income. As we age, we generally increase our income. The economy is picking up and people are spending more "fun" money.

However, I see many of the neo-collectors buying stuff and then relegating it to a storage room. Most will not resell and they spent time and money "reconnecting" with their hobby. Therefore, prices will rise as supply drops. I do believe interest/demand will stay relatively constant for numerous reasons - Gen Con auctions, collectability, etc...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:43 am 

Step 1 should be: Collector marries a blonde.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:47 am 

That's great nev!  LOL!

How about these modifications?

4.  Puts in some sensible bids on items once owned in childhood but loses out to other newbays who are currently on step 5.

6. After a few purchases of common D&D items, does research and finds Acaeum. Realizes everything in collection is common and was overpaid for.

7.  Starts salivating over the rare stuff.

8.  The floodgates open.  Spends wildly.  Refinances house.  Buys storage unit to warehouse overstock.

8.  Becomes reseller to convince blond wife he's actually making money off this hobby.

9.  Finds Acaeum forum.  Denies the fact that he's reselling.

10.  Starts buying the really expensive rares.

11.  Economy takes a downturn.  

12.  Loses job.  

13.  Gets hungry.  

14.  Sells off everything.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:50 am 

That's step 0. ;-)

When I was typing it up I originally had :
1. Collector-to-be turns 30+ 'has mucho disposable gold pieces'
but I couldn't carry the joke forward.

Step 7 is definitely 'gains +2 to Wisdom'
6 is probably 'goes into monty haul mode'

Should probably have step 9 : 'wife wields pole arm of discouragement + 5'

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:28 am 

Step 10 - As he resells to make money for a new car he looks at his pregnant wife and thinks:  "Someday my children will be teenagers and I will finally be able to use all this stuff to run the coolest campaign ever made. . ."  

8)

Wife tells him he's not going to turn their daughter into a "geek" .

He begins drafting ideas for a campaign anyway. . .   I am sure she would want to be an elf. . .

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:24 am 

To my wife's dismay, my 5 and 7 year-old love playing Dungeon! I mean, how much Candyland can your stand!!! 8O

I tell her its a good math skill-building game...and since she is a Kindergarten teacher, I scored some points.

Now getting out an rpg in the years ahead will probably never happen. In fact, its a lock.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:15 am 

When exactly does the "falling into the dark pit of evil re-shrinkwrapping and selling photocopies to get enough money for "Just one more module"" fit into the list?   :D

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:29 am 

That only happens if you fail your saving throw vs. the Transmute into Evil Reseller spell (L9, range: infinite, area of effect: infinite, duration: infinite) which is automatically cast by eBay corporate every month. I believe you get -5 to the save if you are from England........ J/K guys, though it does seem the lion's share of PDF's come from the U.K.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:14 pm 

Dear God, this thread has taken a horrid turn!

-PD

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:18 pm 

Heheh!  The observations are valid and very perceptive.  We just need to keep in mind that the steps aren't linear, they're points on a circle.  The last phase (apathy with the rarest of the rare, selling everything) often leads directly into the beginning (wide-eyed nostalgia, years later, when the bug bites again and there's so much more to collect).  D&D collectors are phoenixes (plural?) by nature.
:wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:48 pm 

I WILL NOT rise from my ashes. Too close to "Dawn of the Dead". My RPG death will be as permanent as herpes.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:21 pm 

TMI   :?

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:23 pm 

I guess at 30+ years old we are all several decades away from the:

"I don't really know much about this stuff. . . my father had an entire spare room full of Dungeons and Dragons material.  I do know that he kept everything safely protected in plastic sleeves with cardboard backing and would never actually let me touch anything.  To make things easy, I will be dividing everything up randomly and selling them in lots.  Lot 1 consists of. . ." :twisted:

"Oh, and if you like these items, check out next month when I will be listing the comics. . . 10 long boxes of Marvel from the 60's through the 80's. . ."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:31 pm 

ROFL

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:38 pm 

For us not native to the English language: What's the meaning of ROFL??? Is it something like LOL?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:14 pm 

ROFL = Rolling On the Floor Laughing, one step up from LOL.

Please don't ask me why the article "the" is not included in the acronym while the preposition "On" is; yes, it should be either RotFL or RFL.  But it's not.

Just keep in mind the only four rules of the English language:
[1]  You do not talk about Fight Club.
[2]  You DO NOT talk about Fight Club.
[3]  Every rule is an exception.
[4]  When in doubt, keep in mind that nothing makes any sense.
:P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:39 pm 

I guess at 30+ years old we are all several decades away from the:

"I don't really know much about this stuff. . . my father had an entire spare room full of Dungeons and Dragons material. I do know that he kept everything safely protected in plastic sleeves with cardboard backing and would never actually let me touch anything. To make things easy, I will be dividing everything up randomly and selling them in lots. Lot 1 consists of. . ."

To combat the above syndrome, I got the kids hooked early (had the ten year old rolling dice when he had just turned five  :twisted: ).  Also got him started collecting.  When we go out looking for stuff, I show him about grading and condition.  He must have close to ten books now.  I just have to watch out so he doesn't steal his old man's stuff  :evil: !

Next