All this bidding frenzy got me thinking...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:54 pm 

I subscribed to 'andale' for some reason... I haven't sold anything in years.  Anyway, I have to admit it's fun to use the service if you're a data junkie like me.

Turns out the 'best' time to list D&D items is Sunday Afternoon on a 7 day auction.  On average you'll get 15% more on an auction that ends Sunday afternoon (which isn't a large logical leap if you think about it).

It does not really help you to lot items together.  Better prices per item if you list individually. (I hate that... I much prefer shopping for lots because it IS so much cheaper!) But this also makes sense if you count all the collectors looking to fill gaps in their collection and not be resellers.

Also, it does not appear that bolding, featuring, gallerying or any other 'bonus ebay features' has any impact on D&D item prices.

Also, it's not your imagination, item prices are going up dramatically.

Any requests for pricing (or other ebay related)research?  I've been thinking about trying to come up with a sieve that only searches for single items so as to get pricing for individual items apart from 'lots'.  it's difficult to price things when there's 5-10 modules.

Anyone else use Andale and have any pointers to focus item research down to a single item?

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:14 pm 

Definitely useful information.  You might want to review the "New price records" thread, as it looks like some people are very interested in seeing price performance split out by individual item, if it's possible.
8)

Thanks for the seller info ... I'll try it out sometime.  Here's a couple tips of my own to sellers to maximize your visibility:

* Putting your rarest/most desirable item (such as the ever-cliche Deities & Demigods w/Cthulhu) in the gallery and possibly in bold (if running 100+ auctions) does seem to increase the overall bid response.  There's no need to make more gallery items, though; just put a link in your auction description encouraging people to check out your other auctions.

* Reserves hurt you, unless you're selling just a few big-ticket items all at once.  People tend to bid less when there is a reserve, unless the item is exceptionally rare.

* Alphabetize your listings and print out your entire offering list on your About Me page.  I'm serious - people are actually lazy enough that if you don't alphabetize your items, and they're looking for a specific item, they won't look past your top 20 items or so.

* If you can afford to, bid on a lot of high-profile items during your sell period.  If you have a high feedback rating, people get curious and like to click on your About Me page when they're reviewing the bidders.  This leads them to your items for sale.

* My personal favorite time to run auctions is on Thursday afternoon-evening, 10 days.  This gives you two entire weekends of exposure (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) for just $0.10 more per item.  This is most effective if you have 100+ items to run; for less, Jon's 7-day trick is probably better.

* Grade all items conservatively; brighten the graphic to clearly show flaws, and point them out in your descriptions.  You may hurt your bottom line by 1-2%, but you'll get almost zero negative feedback and you'll soon find yourself flooded with pleased repeat customers.

* If you have a passion for the item, say so, and why.  People get bored looking at 20 identical auctions; they're going to go with the one that tells them something the others don't, and someone who's clearly happy doing what they're doing.

* This shouldn't need to be said, but for God's sake, don't begin your auction with a litany of threats against deadbeat bidders!  Welcome people to your auction, don't shout them out of it.

* Offer to answer all questions and give people the potential to receive more collector information on request.  This opens up real-life trade routes where you can swap with people and get lots of face-to-face o rin-the-mail transactions, and you can often get first crack at some rarities.  (Watch out that you don't solicit outside of eBay's policy, though.  Let them come to you and don't coerce.)

* Offer series if you can.  If you put A1, A2, A3, and A4 up for bid, you're going to get higher bids on all of them than if you just put up A2 and A4.

* Open yourself up to international bidders.  The dollar sucks right now, and there are good people overseas.

* Start all of your items at a low price, and you'll attract more bidders.

* Happily sell items that under-perform, even if you're operating at a loss.  The long-term increase in loyal customers makes up more than the difference.  Never refuse a valid sale.

* Offer unannounced bonuses (B2's, X1's, catalogs, etc.) to new collectors, as long as you don't increase their shipping charge.

* For a real frenzy, try opening one wave of auctions at the same time that another is ending.  Warning - this is a headache for you!

Lots more, but those should get you started.  The hobby thrives when both buyers and sellers are at the top of their game.
8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:18 am 

Dark has it right.

Description is key. Be honest, even if you know it will diminish the value of your item. I try like to hell to note everything and if it is not of "collector" grade, I say so right off the bat.

The description should also include information about the item. Not everyone is familiar with the older material and we old-timers take it for granted that everyone knows what a given item or module is all about. I have sold numerous modules, for example, to people who just want it because the item will fit their campaign and they will use it. I frequently include my opinion on how "fun" or "playable" an item might be. It does seem to help. I always pull one positive thing forward, even on the lame items (i.e. great artwork, early art from a now big-time artist, cool new monsters, link to campaign world, TSR oddities such as advertising within the product, goes great with beverage and pizza, etc.)

As far as timing is concerned, later in the day or early evening seems to be the best time to expire a listing. Weekends always get more attention.

If you are up to the international crowd, you need to expire the item earlier in the day. Europe in particular will not garner much support after mid-day - they're sleeping.

Explain shipping thouroughly. Keep it simple and fairly priced. I don't give options for cheaper shipping; you open yourself up to problems. Priority mail w/tracking is my standard.

Don't get carried away with disclaimers, either. It can make you look defensive.

There are simply way too many auctions where the description is a picture and single sentce or less!! Then you get paragraphs of legal, mailing, payment options (read limits). I click out immediately.

Pictures are a must if you want to get a good price. They also serve to protect you. I once had a guy buy a module that was a spare in excellent/near mint condition - great for collection. Received payment and sent my normal priority w/tracking. He received, sent email item was misdescribed and had all kinds of fold damage, etc. I said Bullshit, but if you don't want it, send it back and I will refund or replace my other copy. He said refund. Got item back and I'll be damned if it was NOT the one I sent (shelf worn, used severely, etc.). But since this was before the picture boom on ebay, was kind of stuck. The guy performed the Switch on me, and I let it go. From that point on, I scanned everything.

Good Luck :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/