Shrinkwrapped or not?
Poll: A serious collector's items are ...

... in original shrink only. 11%       11%  [ 3 ]
... in mint, but non-shrinked condition. 50%       50%  [ 14 ]
... shrinkwrapped in the high-security storage facility and a double of each shrinked one in mint, non-shrinked condition at home on the bookshelf. 25%       25%  [ 7 ]
... shrinked or non-shrinked - what's the point? 14%       14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:58 am 

I do not really see the value in a SW item. I know that I avoid them; but then again, I am not a SERIOUS collector, but more a fan. I do collect the 1st edition/D&D stuff, but I also like to read the items I have never had or seen.
Besides, some guy just paid $47 for a green T1 in SW.... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:06 pm 

jagd wrote:Reading through this thread reminded me of a story from my youth.

UMass Amherst: Error Page Not Found

For the record, I have a lot of the old stuff in the original shrink and believe it doesn't add any extra value to them.  But if someone wants to pay me extra for them then I'll surely take it.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:25 am 

well im new to this and am in no way a serious collector but i see no point in SW , i want to read the stuff i buy i dont want stuff to just sit in a box hoping the value goes up one day otherwise id prolly collect comic books or something more mainstream. If i could only find something i wanted in SW ( highly doubtfull) i would open it when i got it so that i could look at it . i dont want to collect D&D stuff to make money i want to do it because i loved playing D&D when i was young and id just like to have the stuff now to go through and fondly remember days long ago back in middle school . I just want the stuff to own , hell i dont think i really even care what condition it is in .

Ebay Login: black_market_express

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:32 am 

Hmmm... This is interesting: So far, more than half of the voters collect their copies in mint, but non-shrinked condition. I didn't expect such a strong result!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:02 pm 

The high prices currently going for shrinkwrapped stuff is caused by two people

Pitttbull

Welcome to eBay

&

Crisandre_Fr

Welcome to eBay

Perhaps these two should get together and decide who will bid on each item. They would certainly save a lot of money.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:31 am 

Hmmm, quite a few box sets in those auctions.  

In my experience they are the worst for nasty surprises when (eventually) opened - there is usually enough air inside for quite a bit of mold growth over the years...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:17 am 

I've got nowt else to add to this thread.  But you can rack up another vote against SW.

I happily buy SW items which are badly listed or underpriced with a BIN.  But only if I think I can sell them on at a profit to fund more non-SW purchases.

J.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:11 pm 

I bought a copy of Starstone last week from Tadashie, and it was described as being near mint, with just a small tear in the bag it was in. It arrived today exactly as described, but I was expecting a bag that I could open and have a look at the module. The bag though isn't so much that, it's more like loose shrink wrap - it's sealed up and I can only get at the module by tearing it off.

I really want to open it up and have a look through the contents, but should I? Does a sealed plastic bag count the same as shrink? If so, will the item be significantly devalued by being opened?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:22 am 

Tadashie's a great seller, often has old, rare Chaosium, non-TSR, etc.  He's also my publishing business partner, so I'm somewhat biased ;)

I haven't seen a Starstone sell for less than $50 in the past year+, whether it was shrink or not.  IMO you're safe in opening it, mdr003.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:36 am 

Starstone is possibly one of the best modules to actually play. I got mine for $30 or so some months back.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:10 pm 

I paid $55 for mine, which I wasn't unhappy about - like Grodog said, the ones I'd seen in the last year or so are generally around that price... although there was one last week from Uncle Ted (feffer37) that went for $30 or so.

I've bought a fair bit of stuff from Tadashi over the months, and his stuff is ALWAYS mint or close to it.

What kind of stuff do you publish, Allan?

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:15 pm 

Serious collectors definately would value the most absolutely pure version of an item, meaning a mint shrinkwrapped item represents its true form.

Also "serious" collectors usually have their mint stash of items in a closet with not so mint items to be put on display and browsed through.

Thats what I have observed over the years.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  
Previous