The questionable eBay activity thread
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:20 pm 

I was hoping not to be the one to start this thread, but I've had a rash of "shady" situations occur in the last week.  My annoyance, and my belief that this would be a public service, have now officially exceeded my civility.
:evil:

First up on the platter:  The issue of undercutting offers.  By this I refer to two different, related situations.  In the first, honest bidders are bidding on an item, when the item mysteriously vanishes and is "no longer available."  The reason for this is usually that an outside buyer who wishes to avoid the bidding situation e-mails the seller, and offers to buy the item outside of eBay.  (For example, if the bidding is currently at $80 and someone suspects that the seller is ignorant of the item's value and that the bidding may rise to $250, that individual may contact the seller and offer to buy the item for a flat $200.)  The second situation is when you as a seller receive such offers.  I've been getting lots of these, despite stating explicitly in my auctions that they are not welcome.

In eBay parlance, this is known as Fee Avoidance, and it's against the policy:

>>Circumventing Fees
[snip]
Users may not avoid eBay fees.  Users may not use systems or techniques to circumvent eBay fees.  Examples:  Offer outside of eBay - offering the opportunity to purchase the item or other merchandise outside of eBay through an item listing.  To report a listing that circumvents eBay fees through an offer outside of eBay, unreasonably high shipping or handling costs, Multiple Item (Dutch) listing avoidance, or a catalog sales violation, contact us with the item number.

I am currently having this difficulty with several auctions, including (for example) 3174214830.  But proving the wrongdoing is difficult.

Has anyone else been having this problem?
:?

The second problem:  Reserve fee avoidance.  This is a problem that occurs with sellers that aren't making as much money as they want to:

>>Reserve Fee Avoidance - Canceling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's desired price has not been met.

I have several other issues going on, but I wanted to start with these.  I'll provide others as they arise.  Feel free to post other concerns here; the more people there are aware of them, the easier they are to solve.

Thanks all!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:23 am 

Just a warning today not to accept "Second Chance Offers" from international sellers you don't know; I haven't seen them mess with the D&D collectibles community before, but it seems they are now.

Transcript of e-mail follows ...

From :  eBay Singapore Customer Support <[email protected]>
Reply-To :  eBay Singapore Customer Support <[email protected]>
Sent :  Tuesday, March 16, 2004 6:24 AM
To :  <[email protected]>
Subject :  Re: 1974 Dungeons & Dragons White Box Set - Excellent #3178638584 (KMM9986006V43463L0KM)

Dear [email protected],

Our records indicate that you may have been contacted by a third party
about purchasing an item off of the eBay site.  If you have been
contacted by someone to complete a sale outside of eBay, WE STRONGLY
ENCOURAGE YOU TO NOT TRANSACT WITH THIS PERSON.

Transactions outside of the eBay platform are not permitted under the
User Agreement. Such transactions are not eligible for eBay services,
including Buyer Protection, and are highly likely to be fraudulent.  
You should disregard any email or correspondence from anyone who
encourages you to send payment for this item, even if the person claims
to be an eBay representative or the seller. eBay will not send you an
email asking you to pay for the item at any time.

In the event that you already sent payment, you should take the
following steps to protect yourself:
1)        If you made a payment by wire transfer or money order, contact the
company that issued the payment.  The two most frequently used companies
for these services are Western Union (1-800-325-6000) and Money Gram
(1-800-926-9400).
2)        If you paid by personal check, you should contact your bank to
discuss appropriate steps to protect yourself.  
3)        If you paid with a credit card, you should contact your credit card
company's security department to discuss this payment - many companies
provide protection in certain circumstances.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:05 pm 

Got the rug pulled out from under me a couple years ago. It was on a huge module lot. I suspected off-ebay transaction. Sure enough. The very same bunch of the modules showed up on ebay about two weeks later as separate items. Several monos were included and it was easy to compare the separate modules to the lot. The seller was not the same or even from the same state 8O  8O

I have had people try the off air stuff with my items. Sold a mono D3 in mint condition about three years ago. Got Solicited via email. I did not respond, but forwarded to ebay.

I know my anecdotes are old, but I have not been too active again until very recently.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:10 pm 

Just a warning today not to accept "Second Chance Offers" from international sellers you don't know; I haven't seen them mess with the D&D collectibles community before, but it seems they are now.

Transcript of e-mail follows ...

From : eBay Singapore Customer Support <[email protected]>
Reply-To : eBay Singapore Customer Support <[email protected]>
Sent : Tuesday, March 16, 2004 6:24 AM
To : <[email protected]>
Subject : Re: 1974 Dungeons & Dragons White Box Set - Excellent #3178638584 (KMM9986006V43463L0KM)

I received this warning a day after I received the actual scam Second-Chance email.  The email appeared to be from myself via eBay.  The reply-to was [email protected].

Of course, offering me a Second Chance on an item I had won was not the smartest move I've ever seen a fraudster make...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:52 pm 

Ending auctions early because of email offer outside of eBay: I think it's a shame. I know many here are doing it, because they think if they don't do it, someone else does, so what. You may think I'm stupid for not doing it, but that's not my attitude.

There is an older thread about this issue. Might be of interest: Woodgrain went quick today!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:14 am 

Its happened to me a couple of times; early on I fell for it and sold an item for about half of what it was worth (I thought the item was rather worthless).  After completing everything I discovered what the value was and felt rather ripped off.

But it only takes once.  If you just follow the rules everything will work out.

Happy bidding

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!