Rhea sells out
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:30 am 

So finally the world's probably biggest (A)D&D collection is being sold. Rhea, will you please let us know what were the reasons to sell and how it felt to have owned such a gigantic collection?

This will be the first major sales event this year for RPG collectors ...

Who will now have the biggest collection? Paul Stormberg? Adrian Newman? Aaron Leeder?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:50 am 

I'm already feeling overwhelmed by all the interesting stuff up there. To think there are 10000 items. Whoa.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:29 am 

I'm looking forward to the event revitalizing the D&D collecting field.  One person is leaving the hobby, apparently, but the treasures there will be going to hundreds if not thousands of other devotees.  That, to me, is a good thing.
:D

I'm not sure who has the biggest collection now ... the hobby is fluid and cloistered enough that not too many people put their lists online (you see wantlists, but not complete collection manifests).  Has anyone ever heard definitively what Frank Mentzer has?
8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:11 pm 

I heard he's getting out of this because he expects a big revival in POGS.

You heard it here first!  :wink:

.. actually, I hope it's for reasons such as:

-He's bored with this stuff

-It doesn't go with his new yacht

-He's planning to go through the time warp/mystical portal anyway so won't be needing this stuff on Planet Zorgo.

-His new super model wife and her live in twin sister need the space for their lingerie.

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:40 pm 

His new super model wife and her live in twin sister need the space for their lingerie.

-Jon

Oh, well done, sir.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:34 pm 

Hey, This auction deserves it's own thread.

This is EPIC...

God... I wish I had some money right now!

Screw it... the kids can go to college when their 40.. .I'm buying me some games!  :twisted:  :twisted:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:53 pm 

JonOakes wrote:-He's planning to go through the time warp/mystical portal anyway so won't be needing this stuff on Planet Zorgo.

-His new super model wife and her live in twin sister need the space for their lingerie.

-Jon

I hope Rhea drops us a line now and then in any case.  
I'd estimate that Frank Mentzer has the largest collection, though I can also imagine there is someone out there who has everything and then some but we've never heard of him.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:55 am 

Hey, should we institute 'Dibs' Rules on this auction? :)  

You know... looting the treasure and all that.. Gamer-style!

That way Burnie and Cougar and the other nefarious league ( just kidding guys!) of power bidders can be kept at bay!

This is an amazing collection... I would like to know why he's selling... because my collection is approaching 2000 items (not anywhere near 10k!)  I just wonder what his house looks like with 10,000 games and accessories there.  

I'd just like to see a picture of it all.. ... preserved for posterity!

This is going to be fun!  Let's see which of us gets the most items!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:35 pm 

JonO, you are one funny S.O.B.  I was DYING laughing.

Ah but if your suggestions were only true.  How great it would be if POGS came back. ;-)

I'm still here.  I'll probably never leave the hobby completely.  I still get phone calls from all over the world asking about this stuff.  I enjoy talking about it really.  It's one of the few things i really know anything about.  I enjoy reading these boards too.  Great group of like minded people.

There are a few reasons i'm selling; mainly, my wife wants to build a new house and we need a down payment.  I hate watching it go, but i'm glad you guys are grabbing it up.  Like darkseraphim said, i hope it revitalizes the hobby as well as fills out some of y'all's collections to make new choice collections.

The game room is in serious dismantle mode, but i'll try and get some pictures so you guys can see at least some of what it used to look like.  A few people on these boards have seen it in all its glory.  Adrian N. is one of them.  Chris R. (aka Riftvalleyman, aka The Guy Selling My Stuff) is the other.  I'm sure they can give a good outsider's opinion.

If any of you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  Again, i will always love this hobby and will never leave it completely (shhh - i'm actually keeping a few crappy condition rulebooks and such - don't tell my wife) ;-)

Thanks for the support guys.  Best of luck on the bidding.

rhea..

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:54 pm 

Haven't seen any auctions from Rhea for some time. Anyone know if he sold the rest to a single buyer? My bro and I are thinking about selling out and buying an island near Thailand and kicking back. 8O

-Devon

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:34 pm 

Wow, guys.  That would be monumental.  Probably bigger than Rhea, right?  :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:35 pm 

burntwire wrote:Haven't seen any auctions from Rhea for some time. Anyone know if he sold the rest to a single buyer? My bro and I are thinking about selling out and buying an island near Thailand and kicking back. 8O

-Devon

No way!   8O

I highly recommend Thailand, though.  It's at the top of my early retirement destination list... and I don't think I'd be able to take my collection with me.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:50 am 

Last I heard (when i was working out a price for a lot) was that his friend that was selling his stuff for him had to go out of state and that was the end.

Rhea was apparently very busy with work and his wife was pregnant and they had no time for anything else.  At least thats how the story went.

burntwire wrote:Haven't seen any auctions from Rhea for some time. Anyone know if he sold the rest to a single buyer? My bro and I are thinking about selling out and buying an island near Thailand and kicking back. 8O

-Devon

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:06 pm 

My bro and I are thinking about selling out and buying an island near Thailand and kicking back.

Burnie Bros.. Are you joking or serious?  At least are you serious about selling out?  

BTW.. You can live like a KING for $1000/month in Thailand... and that includes ... shall we say... bonuses.  :wink:  :wink:   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:15 pm 

Really? So let's see, $250 for a quickie divorce, $500 for a plane ticket....

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:59 pm 

GamesGuy wrote:
My bro and I are thinking about selling out and buying an island near Thailand and kicking back.

Burnie Bros.. Are you joking or serious?  At least are you serious about selling out?  

BTW.. You can live like a KING for $1000/month in Thailand... and that includes ... shall we say... bonuses.  :wink:  :wink:   8)

We are considering selling. If we can find someone with the backing to buy our collection. Retiring to Thailand was just a joke, unless Bush gets re-elected. :) If we do sell in one big lot, Amsterdam here we come. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:18 pm 

I'd consider buying it, but you don't like my business practices.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:19 pm 

Jon, I think you meant to say Boneuses. All of SE Asia is like that. You can be 60 and get a 22 year old. Die in bed, literally.

Next