AD&D Collector/Trading Cards
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:54 am 

Whiskers wrote:You have to me a d&d player to understand.

I started collecting old-school D&D in 1986, beginning with a Hobbit-edition Holmes & a local publication called Tabletop Warriors. For many years, all the D&D dorks thought I was a dork for wanting such worthless, obsolete stuff.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
I started collecting old-school D&D in 1986, beginning with a Hobbit-edition Holmes & a local publication called Tabletop Warriors. For many years, all the D&D dorks thought I was a dork for wanting such worthless, obsolete stuff.

I started playing in the late 70's and played into the late 80's. I didn't really start collecting things. I just bought them to use and ended up with a bunch of stuff. The only thing I really did collect was the cards when they came out. What a long prosses that was. It's fun to look at it and remember the old days.
Then a got a computer and thought, wouldn't it be cool to DM using this. So I started collecting scans. Another long prosses that is a lot of fun. I know most people here don't agree with it but they are just for me and it is cool to see all the old stuff.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:13 pm 

Whiskers wrote:
but they are just for me and it is cool to see all the old stuff.

And I wouldn't argue with that, as I have the same.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:19 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:You're lucky you're beneath the notice of the REAL nasty guys, they don't even bother to post about this lame topic.

I'm sure they are just waiting for him to start going on about his awesome Spellfire collection.  :lol:

Zenfinite wrote:I happened to be bored waiting for the Playoffs to start.

I'm still going to be bored I guess.  The good games were yesterday.  Falcons v. Giants = snore.  Steelers v. Broncos?  Blah.  I'd rather watch Tebow and Rapelisberger punch each other in the face for 15 minutes.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I'm sure they are just waiting for him to start going on about his awesome Spellfire collection. :lol:

Spellfire cards actually still carry value. They still have world championships at Gen Con. How do I know that? I may or may not have been ranked in the top 10 Spellfire players in the world at one point in time.  :oops:

And I think the Steelers/Broncos game will be a good game. As long as the Broncos remember Tebow is an opportunity passer, not an overall passer. They gotta pound that ball in and pass maybe 12 times all game. Otherwise, there will be those turnovers and the Broncos are gonna lose.

Zen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:Spellfire cards actually still carry value. They still have world championships at Gen Con. How do I know that? I may or may not have been ranked in the top 10 Spellfire players in the world at one point in time.  :oops:

8O

OK....maybe I should have used Dragon Dice or Pogs instead of Spellfire as an example.  :lol:

I am curious though....when you went to conventions, did the Magic: The Gathering players give you a hard time?  :twisted:

Sorry man, couldnt resist.

Zenfinite wrote:And I think the Steelers/Broncos game will be a good game.

Probably.  Part of me wants to see Tebow get mauled by the Steelers defense just cause I'm sick of all the Tebow worship.  The other part, the part that hates the Steelers with a passion, wants to see the Broncos run roughshod over them.  So I'm seriously conflicted.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I am curious though....when you went to conventions, did the Magic: The Gathering players give you a hard time?

Probably.  Part of me wants to see Tebow get mauled by the Steelers defense just cause I'm sick of all the Tebow worship.  The other part, the part that hates the Steelers with a passion, wants to see the Broncos run roughshod over them.  So I'm seriously conflicted.  :)

Nah. I play Magic as well, so, no problems there either. :) Actually, behind D&D, I seriously consider Magic the next best game of all time. Everything about Magic is pretty much perfect, and the gold standard to which I hold many other games.

And you know, I was torn on Tebow until I heard an interview of his. Basically, somebody asked him if he believed God helped him play football. To paraphrase, he responded no, that's crazy. My faith helps carry me through adversity, that's all. I really respect that answer, and I now only wish him the absolute best with his positive attitude.

Zen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:10 pm 

I respect his beliefs and his attitude/work ethic.  He is a heck of a football player and is IMHO one of the all-time great college QB's.  It's just annoying how a lot of people have elevated him to NFL greatness before he's even earned it.  That and the fact that so many people bitch and complain when one of the "experts" points out how mediocre he really is.....at least up to this point.  I feel for the guy because I dont see how he can handle all the pressure.

Oh and I just sold all of my Magic cards a few months ago.  I started buying the cards around the time the Revised edition came along.  Got a lot of really good cards out of the expansions as well.  Stopped buying them when Mirage hit the stores.  I can probably count on both hands how many times I played the game so they were reallly minty.  Got some pretty decent money out of them too, especially from the guy who bought all of my dual lands.  :D

I'll stop the threadjack now.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:53 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:
Nah. I play Magic as well, so, no problems there either. :) Actually, behind D&D, I seriously consider Magic the next best game of all time. Everything about Magic is pretty much perfect, and the gold standard to which I hold many other games.

Curiosity is peaked then. Is it worth a dabble to get into, as my son is enjoying FF books, Beast Quest books and the like and also the card collecting games, albeit its a football one at the moment.

Any pointers on starting out?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Curiosity is peaked then. Is it worth a dabble to get into, as my son is enjoying FF books, Beast Quest books and the like and also the card collecting games, albeit its a football one at the moment.

Any pointers on starting out?

Sure. You can purchase two of the Magic 2012 Intro Packs, one for each of you, and learn that way. There are 5 total packs, one for each color in Magic, and from a quick peek on eBay, looks like it's about $10 a pack. Or you could hit up your FLGS and see what they have in stock. These Intro Packs will be a completely prebuilt deck, with generally easier cards to use and play. Good luck, and I hope you like it! Any questions, just shoot me a PM.

Zen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:47 am 

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'd seen the Decks Fat packs at £30+, so the idea of a much cheaper Intro pack sounds a better start in case it doesn't catch him :)
Might PM if I need it, thanks

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:26 pm 

Hello All.

This post thread helped me understand the AD&D Trading Cards, in particular the post by evilRafael.

I bought out a collector. The Gold-bordered cards, Ruby bordered cards, and Special Insert (1-60) series I have all together in a lot on Ebay:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Plus I made a photoblog post with all the info and pics I gathered.

Enjoy!
-Wayne

Previous