AD&D Collector/Trading Cards
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:You can pick these babies up for next to nothing almost anywhere, old Game shops, Ebay (If you are patient)

Except for a complete gold or ruby set they are worthless really

Right. If you don't have a complete set the cards are not worth much except for the rare cards and the promos. They are scattered throughout the sets. They are next to impossible to find.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 pm 

[quote="DiscoDadda"]Okay, I am gathering the fact that the Silver Border cards are not worth much, but the Gold Bordered cards are more desirable.... Trying to educate myself here...

The gold bordered cards simply have a thin gold border... just like the silver bordered cards, only gold?

I also have white bordered cards that appear to have been cut from something?  Dragon Mag?  I have 16 or 17 of these.

I really would like to sell these cards to someone who would appreciate them, since I do not collect them nor do I really want to make a market in them.  Would like to free up the space.  If you are interested PM me your e-mail and I will send pics to your e-mail.]

The white cards came out of one of the Dragon magazines. There are 4 white cards that where given out at Walden Book Stores when TSR released the foil pack of cards with the gold borders in 1991. That was the only way to get them. There are others like that too. These are 4 of the promos you need to complete the 1991 set. Without them the set is incomplete. I'd like to see these guys find them these days. I don't think so and if someone has them, like me, they will not give them up.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

Go here: www.nslists.com/jafsfh.htm

It is Jeff Allender's House of Checklists. He lists all three years of the Gold Border Collector Cards, all the different sets, promos, and rare cards needed to complete all the sets. They are listed under "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Collector Card Sets".

I use to get a Non-Sports Collector Card Magazine that listed the worth of all the complete sets of cards but they would not list prices for these complete sets because they are to rare and to hard to get. I wrote them and asked them why they didn't price them and that's what they told me. So, take what you will from that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm 

I believe the problem here is that, even though the gold and ruby sets are rare, rarity is not the only thing that drives value. Demand needs to be injected into the formula at some point, and frankly, there is about zero demand for these cards. I'd probably have tried to assemble a ruby bordered set over the last 20 years that I've known about them, but, for some silly reason, resellers insist on charging ~$20 a box for these cards, when in reality a price closer to $5 would still probably be overcharging for them. :) They made millions of these cards, and the simple fact that you can go to any of a dozen Internet sites and buy unopened boxes speaks to the lack of demand and glut of supply.

I think any sarcasm you'd encounter here would be from members who are tired of people trying to artificially inflate the value of things. I understand YOU think they are very rare and valuable, however, you'd be very hard pressed to find others who share your opinion. I think I remember seeing a ruby set for sale on eBay at one point, and the seller wanted like $2000 for it. That's insane. The fact that it did NOT sell, might indicate an over-valuation of its worth. Granted, all it takes is one other person to agree with your idea of its worth to conclude a sale.

In closing, 5 of your posts contain references to how rare and valuable you think these cards are. People might think you're here to further your own valuation ends, and, they might be right. If you want to talk about your love of collecting this game, please, by all means, contribute to the vast amount of knowledge available on this website.

Zen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:00 pm 

Whiskers wrote:
Your talking Gold border Collector Cards right? The Silver border factory sets are worthless. Anyone can get them.
Good luck. I only ever talked to two other people in 15 years that had the complete Gold & Ruby border collector sets with all the promos.

Then you got lucky and just spoke to your third.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:18 pm 

These cards have had their day with collecting, there might be some people looking to finish off sets, but realistically they are worthless (or of little value anyway).. some of the proms have some value but not all.. the ruby set has some vale.. I think I bought mine for $150 (20 cents a ruby card) , and the gold bordered one for $20 (1993)

I have used the lists on http://www.nslists.com/jafsfh.htm to find out promos.. there were quite a few..

1991 PROMO CARDS

---     Uncut sheet with cards 1 through 17 (Dragon magazine #160, August 1990)
---     Uncut sheet with cards 28, 36, 42, 77, 79, 93, 108, 125, 126, 144, 159, 216, 219, 224,
         243, 247, 251 (Dragon magazine #171, July 1991)
---     2-up panel, cards 738 and 739
---     2-up panel, cards 740 and 741
---     2-up panel, cards 742 and 743
---     2-up panel, cards 744 and 745
---     4-up panel, cards 738 through 741 (5.75" x 7", Diamond Comic newsletter)
---     4-up panel, cards 738 through 741 (8" x 7")
---     4-up panel, cards 742 through 745 (5.75" x 7")
---     4-up panel, cards 742 through 745 (8" x 7")
746     Oversized (10" x 7.25", Capitol City newsletter)

1992 PROMO CARDS

---     Uncut sheet with cards 721 through 737 (Dungeon magazine)
---     Uncut sheet with cards 721 through 737 (Dragon magazine #180, April 1992)
738     Peryton (gold-bordered, Capitol Distributing)
739     Hornhead Saurial (gold-bordered, Capitol Distributing)
740     Feyr (gold-bordered, Capitol Distributing)
741     Warrior, Skeleton (gold-bordered, Capitol Distributing)
742     Maligor the Red Wizard (foil)
743     Abbolt Nebbathra (individual card, reported but not confirmed)
746     Mikor (individual and oversized versions)
---     2-card sealed pack, cards 744 and 745 (gold-bordered, B Dalton)
---     4-up panel, cards 747 through 750 (gold-bordered, Waldenbooks)

GenCon Promo Set
 Similar to regular cards, but with gray background and black border.

1     Hallawienka      AD&D 2nd Edition
  2     Setara           Al-Qadim
  3     Kharros          Dark-Sun
  4     Cambiol          Dragon Quest
  5     Kitiara          DragonLance
  6     Brandt           Dungeons & Dragons
  7     Matron Baenre    Forgotten Realms
  8     Sir Kletrip      Gamma World
  9     Gh'alar          Greyhawk Adventures
 10     Zombie           Ravenloft
 11     Bral             Spelljammer

1993 PROMO CARDS

---  6-up panel (Cards 11, 10, 13, 14, 17, 18)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:In closing, 5 of your posts contain references to how rare and valuable you think these cards are. People might think you're here to further your own valuation ends, and, they might be right. If you want to talk about your love of collecting this game, please, by all means, contribute to the vast amount of knowledge available on this website.

Zen

Actually I'd just like to get rid of them... my posts are from a completely uninformed and therefore naive position... when I saw this topic I figured I'd try to glean some knowledge with the goal of selling them (at a wholesale price) to someone who appreciates the cards.  I have never been a trading card collector of any sort... although I will hang onto my Roberto Clemente Rookie Card... The amount of knowledge I have regarding this game (as I've discovered) is limited to solving the riddles in White Plume Mountain.... which I solved succesfully each and everytime I played that adventure.   :o

Disco

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:50 am 

Zenfinite wrote:I believe the problem here is that, even though the gold and ruby sets are rare, rarity is not the only thing that drives value. Demand needs to be injected into the formula at some point, and frankly, there is about zero demand for these cards. I'd probably have tried to assemble a ruby bordered set over the last 20 years that I've known about them, but, for some silly reason, resellers insist on charging ~$20 a box for these cards, when in reality a price closer to $5 would still probably be overcharging for them. :) They made millions of these cards, and the simple fact that you can go to any of a dozen Internet sites and buy unopened boxes speaks to the lack of demand and glut of supply.

I think any sarcasm you'd encounter here would be from members who are tired of people trying to artificially inflate the value of things. I understand YOU think they are very rare and valuable, however, you'd be very hard pressed to find others who share your opinion. I think I remember seeing a ruby set for sale on eBay at one point, and the seller wanted like $2000 for it. That's insane. The fact that it did NOT sell, might indicate an over-valuation of its worth. Granted, all it takes is one other person to agree with your idea of its worth to conclude a sale.

In closing, 5 of your posts contain references to how rare and valuable you think these cards are. People might think you're here to further your own valuation ends, and, they might be right. If you want to talk about your love of collecting this game, please, by all means, contribute to the vast amount of knowledge available on this website.

Zen

You people are nasty here. The guy asked for some info and I gave it to him. Know you come up with this conspiracy theory. Wow!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm 

Cheerio then.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm 

Whiskers wrote:
You people are nasty here. The guy asked for some info and I gave it to him. Know you come up with this conspiracy theory. Wow!

Cake and conspiracy theory start with the same letter!   8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:I believe the problem here is that, even though the gold and ruby sets are rare, rarity is not the only thing that drives value. Demand needs to be injected into the formula at some point, and frankly, there is about zero demand for these cards. I'd probably have tried to assemble a ruby bordered set over the last 20 years that I've known about them, but, for some silly reason, resellers insist on charging ~$20 a box for these cards, when in reality a price closer to $5 would still probably be overcharging for them. :) They made millions of these cards, and the simple fact that you can go to any of a dozen Internet sites and buy unopened boxes speaks to the lack of demand and glut of supply.

Zen

There are 495 cards in the 1993 set. There is 1 ruby card in every foil pack of 12 cards. There are 36 packs in a box. In 1993 the boxes sold for $36.00 a box or $1.00 per foil pack. That means you would have to buy 14 boxes to get 504 cards which also means that half or more of them would be duplicates so to get a complete set this way you would have to buy at least 28 boxes of cards and that's probably not enough. There is no way unless you have so much money you don't give a shit. The way I got my complete set was by trading with other people until I had all the cards but the few rare (low print count) ones and then you have to find people willing to sell them or trade for other duplicate rare cards that you have. That's why it took me 15 years to complete the set of 1993 Ruby cards. And that's also why I only ever talked to 2 other people that did have complete sets since 1993. So, are these ruby cards rare? I think so! Also there is a rare set of cards numbered 1 to 60 in the 1993 boxes. There is 1 rare card in every two pack or 18 in a box so these are not easy to complete.  These 1993 sets are very difficult to complete but the 1991 set was even harder. PDT_Armataz_01_18

The 1991 Set  series 1 card counts are: Common 50,000 each, Rare 1 3,000 each, Rare 2 4,000 each total printed so you can see that they didn't print million of these cards like you said. There are 28 rare cards in the first half of the set with the above counts. There are 30 rare cards in the second half (series 2) of the set. A total of 58 rare cards with very low print quanitities. And this doesn't count the promos you need to complete it. You will never be able to finish this set today. I have it. It was real tough to get and it IS rare.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:07 am 

You seem confident that your math is right, and I have no reason to doubt it.  Thus I'm happy to concede that you have a rare item.

The problem pretty much falls under "correlation does not imply causation".  Items that are rare can be valuable, but rarity does not in itself make something valuable.  It also has to be desired by at least one other person.

Absurd example:

The napkin I used for dinner tonight is rare, unique actually, as no other is exactly like it, with the same stains and tears.  Rare - yes; valuable - no.

The last napkin that Gary Gygax ever used was similarly unique.  In theory, someone would buy it because of the celebrity attached to it.  Rare - yes; valuable - yes.

So, I think what people are trying to say (admittedly a bit too harshly) is that while you may have a hard to find item, in our opinion you won't be able to sell it quickly and for a lot of money.  You may eventually find someone who shares your opinion of its rarity and value, and then cash in, but we think the market is small and thus the sale would be difficult, so you'd either have to sell for less or wait for longer.

I for one will hope that our assessment is wrong and that you will quickly be able to sell your cards for a fortune should you ever decide to.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 am 

And you cannot say that another set will never be completed, be ause that is absurd. Yes, you can't buy them in shops, but there will be rare incomplete sets around that will one day match up together.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 am 

TheHistorian wrote:You seem confident that your math is right, and I have no reason to doubt it.  Thus I'm happy to concede that you have a rare item.

The problem pretty much falls under "correlation does not imply causation".  Items that are rare can be valuable, but rarity does not in itself make something valuable.  It also has to be desired by at least one other person.

Absurd example:

The napkin I used for dinner tonight is rare, unique actually, as no other is exactly like it, with the same stains and tears.  Rare - yes; valuable - no.

The last napkin that Gary Gygax ever used was similarly unique.  In theory, someone would buy it because of the celebrity attached to it.  Rare - yes; valuable - yes.

So, I think what people are trying to say (admittedly a bit too harshly) is that while you may have a hard to find item, in our opinion you won't be able to sell it quickly and for a lot of money.  You may eventually find someone who shares your opinion of its rarity and value, and then cash in, but we think the market is small and thus the sale would be difficult, so you'd either have to sell for less or wait for longer.

I for one will hope that our assessment is wrong and that you will quickly be able to sell your cards for a fortune should you ever decide to.

Thanks for the non-nasty response. There are some nice people on this forum. That's the only point I was trying to make. The cards are rare.

Later   PDT_Armataz_01_37

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 am 

Whiskers wrote:
Thanks for the non-nasty response. There are some nice people on this forum. That's the only point I was trying to make. The cards are rare.

Later   PDT_Armataz_01_37

You're retarded. Allow me to quote the FIRST SENTENCE of my response.

"I believe the problem here is that, even though the gold and ruby sets are rare, rarity is not the only thing that drives value."

So, if the only point you were trying to make was that they are rare, I conceded that point in the absolute first words in my "nasty" response. Maybe if you bothered to READ, instead of crying, you'd have no complaints.

In all reality, you are dealing with people on this forum who know more about Dungeons and Dragons in ALL its forms than you could ever hope to know, including your precious collector's cards. We know all the numbers. We know every statistic you just quoted. And look! It STILL doesn't affect the worthlessness of your cards. You wanted nasty forum-goers? You found one. You're lucky you're beneath the notice of the REAL nasty guys, they don't even bother to post about this lame topic. I happened to be bored waiting for the Playoffs to start.  :twisted:

Zen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 am 

Zenfinite wrote:
You're retarded. Allow me to quote the FIRST SENTENCE of my response.

"I believe the problem here is that, even though the gold and ruby sets are rare, rarity is not the only thing that drives value."

So, if the only point you were trying to make was that they are rare, I conceded that point in the absolute first words in my "nasty" response. Maybe if you bothered to READ, instead of crying, you'd have no complaints.

In all reality, you are dealing with people on this forum who know more about Dungeons and Dragons in ALL its forms than you could ever hope to know, including your precious collector's cards. We know all the numbers. We know every statistic you just quoted. And look! It STILL doesn't affect the worthlessness of your cards. You wanted nasty forum-goers? You found one. You're lucky you're beneath the notice of the REAL nasty guys, they don't even bother to post about this lame topic. I happened to be bored waiting for the Playoffs to start.  :twisted:

Zen

Your just mad that you don't have them. I could send you some scans!  :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 am 

To other collectors, D&D appears too obscure to bother with. Why chase after woodies if comic books & baseball cards are a more sound investment? Let's make fun of D&D fans because they don't know nothing about value.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:41 am 

sauromatian wrote:To other collectors, D&D appears too obscure to bother with. Why chase after woodies if comic books & baseball cards are a more sound investment? Let's make fun of D&D fans because they don't know nothing about value.

You have to be a d&d player to understand.  :wink:

Last edited by Whiskers on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext