Woodgrain first printing + other rares on Ebay for $663
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:28 am 

Have a look at this auction:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 00003&rd=1  For what I can see, and from the replies I got to my questions, this auction contains (among other things) a complete first printing woodgrain box, a true first Greyhawk, and a second Chainmail, and it went For $663.83.  I'm the third highest bidder with $417.77. I was surprised to see the lot go for such a low price compared to Acaeum estimates. Then again, I think those are too high ;-)  On a sadder note, I won't be able to get the big rares in the foreseeable future, it seems. That bid was already well over what I judge to be my maximum allowance...  :(  Oh well. Congrats to the buyer, if he's on these boards.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:16 pm 

I wasn't too surprised at the price of the auction. I think its a fair price. However you have to consider that I don't see any reference sheets so its incomplete.  Also some of the items on there seem to have a white thing on the front cover (label??). However other than that the items seemed to be in wonderful condition judging by the grainy picture. That true first greyhawk looks fantastic. I wonder how that seller got her hands on all those items as well as some of the other items that she is currently selling. Perhaps she got lucky and got it at a garage sale or ?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:01 pm 

Hi, I'm the high bidder on this auction - and am excited at finally being able to own a 1st edition.   Ever since I threw away my very worn copy of a 5th edition I originally purchased in 77, I've been trying to atone for that mistake.  I've  been willing to compromise on condition - but this  auction was a little worrisome in that the seller didn't know what he had - and his assurance in e-mail  that it looked like a 1st wasn't very solid.  Yes, the picture was terrible and many booklets are in  bad shape.  However, it appears that the important items are ok.  The 5th edition set is mostly a  throwaway (just joking, I won't do THAT again.)  You're right - no reference sheets.  This site should have a page devoted to the reference sheets.  It  would be interesting to see how they've changed over time.  When set the set arrives in the mail, I'll post a followup on condition...   :D

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:21 pm 

From my informations, enkidu, for what they are worth, the set should really be a first printing.  Since there's one missing booklet (there's one less copy of booklet II, if you check the auction), I explicitly asked:  A) if there were three booklets with a bottom $3.50 price tag B) if any of these booklets reported any printing #  to which the replies where yes and no respectively. So, adding up the picture and the replies, you get a woodgrain box with the appropriate Man & Magic and the paired Monsters & Treasures and Underworld and Wilderness Adventures. As for reference sheets.. does a first printing even come with those? I thought they only appeared in second and later printings...  Anyway, congrats for the win. Sooner or later, I'll get rich (or lucky... I was almost there on this one) and then a first printing will be MINE.. all mine... my preciousss...  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:33 pm 

Patience, my pretty....all good things come to those who are patient. :wink:   I thought the Guidon Chainmail really helps support the value of this auction. Looks like a very nice copy. Seems to be a rash of them coming up for auction this past year but hardly ever before that!  What does lu.le stand for anyhows?  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:38 pm 

It just stands for (Lu)ca (Le)ttieri  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:45 pm 

Hi Enkidu good win on the auction. If you haven't already, please introduce yourself on the Introduce yourself topic.  To make up for the reference sheets, perhaps you should email a few collectors and see if you can get a good photocopy of them to make it complete.   I agree with Adam that within this last year alone I've seen 5+ chainmail 2nd editions for sale. Before that, I never saw any. Weird how they pop up in large numbers at a time and then quiet down for a while, just like the Jade Hare in sw.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:42 pm 

Hi all,  As promised, a quick follow-up on conditions in this purchase.  Not that this will help to add any updates to the pricing tables...  The 1st edition set: books are NF - yay! - but the box would have been VG, if it hadn't been split on one side.  (Sorry, I'm grading using G,VG,F conditions.  I mostly collect _old_ sci-fi pulps and books, where there's really no such thing as mint.)   Repairable maybe? The sets were shipped tight into a box with no wrapping nor padding.    But, at least it came with the reference sheets - which weren't in the original ebay listing.  Just copies of some of the tables, stapled, with no title sheet.  The first three pages are blank.  Chainmail 2nd ed, 2nd printing:  This is a G+/VG-, as there's no tears, writing or page separation - just pretty beat.  Greyhawk 1st: Another G+/VG- which has seen a lot of use - but no real abuse.  5th edition, plus 3 bonus books: G to VG-.  Nothing in collectible condition in this group.  In all, a nice, expensive Christmas present to myself.  Not that I want to appear to be gloating, but I should confess that last August I snagged a 1st ed/1st printing F copy of Men & Magic from e-bay for $60.  The seller didn't have any other pieces of it.  Another thing: the covers of the 1st print booklets are in a much heavier, almost glossy card stock than the later printings I've seen (which is 3/4th+).  This greatly helps them to keep their condition, as they don't easily yellow or get scuffed.  -Enkidu

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:36 pm 

Great buy Enkidu!! Expensive x-mas gift for yourself huh. Same like Len. He spent a lot for himself last x-mas. I wonder when we might see a 1st print woodgrain in near mint condition ever show up!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:29 am 

I picked up a first print woodgrain a couple of weeks ago.  The box would be in near mint condition, but two of the corners have separated.  The books are certainly in near mint condition.  The only flaw seems to be the fellows name in ink on the back of the front cover.  I bought this from the original owner. There is a correction sheet and reference sheets. Collection also included first prints of all the supplements including a true first greyhawk.(not s & s), all in similiar condition.  Finding this set has really increased my hope that there are still some treasures to find.  Just have to keep looking.    8O

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:20 am 

And how much did you pay wileysteel?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:21 am 

Check out the auction on this woodgrain set plus extras!  cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... egory=2545  Oh for a couple of grand :(

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."