Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:35 am 

In a recent AD & D lot I won the following curious item was found (I'm at work so I'm describing this from memory, no pics avalible):

its something like the 'fighting wheel' only rectangular.  It has "to hit and damage stats in windows that are manipulated by pulling the insert out a distance.  In one of the corners is a copyright by Larry Leeds 1980 and has an Nebraska address.

Could this have come from a "World of Greyhawk"  as there was one of these in the lot and it contents may have fell out of the very damaged folder.

What do you think?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 am 

Prufrock wrote:In a recent AD & D lot I won the following curious item was found (I'm at work so I'm describing this from memory, no pics avalible):

its something like the 'fighting wheel' only rectangular. It has "to hit and damage stats in windows that are manipulated by pulling the insert out a distance. In one of the corners is a copyright by Larry Leeds 1980 and has an Nebraska address.

Could this have come from a "World of Greyhawk" as there was one of these in the lot and it contents may have fell out of the very damaged folder.

What do you think?

I am not 100% without being able to see it, but I know that there was an insert to a Dragon Magazine that was very similar to the Fighting Wheel, so it may be that.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:52 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Prufrock wrote:In a recent AD & D lot I won the following curious item was found (I'm at work so I'm describing this from memory, no pics avalible):

its something like the 'fighting wheel' only rectangular. It has "to hit and damage stats in windows that are manipulated by pulling the insert out a distance. In one of the corners is a copyright by Larry Leeds 1980 and has an Nebraska address.

Could this have come from a "World of Greyhawk" as there was one of these in the lot and it contents may have fell out of the very damaged folder.

What do you think?

I am not 100% without being able to see it, but I know that there was an insert to a Dragon Magazine that was very similar to the Fighting Wheel, so it may be that.

Hi,

Please see this thread I posted several months ago:

acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2158&a ... ack+matrix

I checked my records and it sold for $8.50 (I posted it here in the classifieds so it was well advertised to the Acaeum crowd).  I think another went for around $12.00 about a month earlier.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Prufrock wrote:its something like the 'fighting wheel' only rectangular. It has "to hit and damage stats in windows that are manipulated by pulling the insert out a distance. In one of the corners is a copyright by Larry Leeds 1980 and has an Nebraska address.

What do you think?

yeah i think there was one from dragon magazine. coug had one listed the other week.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:06 pm 

The references to a Dragon magazine may be right on the mark, as there were 20 or so early (Issues 38-70) in the lot.  

Thanks guys.  Much appreciated.

martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:22 pm 

Prufrock wrote:The references to a Dragon magazine may be right on the mark, as there were 20 or so early (Issues 38-70) in the lot.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

martin

Martin,
  You may also want to check BTB's post and link as well, as what are describing sounds like it is that particular item.  That item though, IIRC, was sold seperately by an independant and not part of anything produced in Dragon Magazines.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:38 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

A little water damage to cover (front and back) but interior is pristine.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:47 pm 

I had that one on my watching list.

Here's mine. Probably a third printing but I can still dream until it arrives.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:04 am 

bclarkie wrote:You may also want to check BTB's post and link as well, as what are describing sounds like it is that particular item. That item though, IIRC, was sold seperately by an independant and not part of anything produced in Dragon Magazines.

Yeah, Dragon's was the "Combat Computer" from issue 74, and was the final evolution of the Fighting Wheel (I suppose, since I don't own one).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 am 

I checked BTB's post.  It is the same item.  Thanks for all the help.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:59 pm 

Nice win Ian:

How far off was I anyway?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 pm 

While I am handing out congrats, Nice win David:

Much better that the $280.00 or so the last one went for. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:15 am 

bclarkie wrote:How far off was I anyway?

Only a couple of bucks. I went in at $29.99 'cos you can buy them for that price from the publisher (I think they still have stock). I've just hears some good things and I'm curious to see how it plays. This seems to be the core rule set. I don't think I'll be buying much more C&C.

Anyone know much about the game? Is it any good?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:16 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Only a couple of bucks. I went in at $29.99 'cos you can buy them for that price from the publisher (I think they still have stock). I've just hears some good things and I'm curious to see how it plays. This seems to be the core rule set. I don't think I'll be buying much more C&C.

Okay first I suck at reviews..so here is one for the box set:
http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=r ... id=2011725
and here is 5 reviews for the Players Handbook (which is now going into its 2nd print sometime in Dec2005):
http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=p ... tid=119800

Personally I like the rules/concept..there thats all I'm gonna say.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:25 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

I was under the impression that those signed & numbered ones were long since sold out. They only produced 300 of them numbered and signed and although you can still get the set it will not be numbered and signed.  Can anyone confirm this?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:38 am 

bclarkie wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Only a couple of bucks. I went in at $29.99 'cos you can buy them for that price from the publisher (I think they still have stock). I've just hears some good things and I'm curious to see how it plays. This seems to be the core rule set. I don't think I'll be buying much more C&C.

I was under the impression that those signed & numbered ones were long since sold out. They only produced 300 of them numbered and signed and although you can still get the set it will not be numbered and signed. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah the signed/numbered copies were all sold off, but you can still get the box set.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:43 am 

Plaag wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
I was under the impression that those signed & numbered ones were long since sold out. They only produced 300 of them numbered and signed and although you can still get the set it will not be numbered and signed. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah the signed/numbered copies were all sold off, but you can still get the box set.

ShaneG.

So how much did the signed numbered copies sell for? Is it the same set? I imagine mine will be crushed to f*ck by the time it gets to me. :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:22 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone know much about the game? Is it any good?

It's essentially a modernized OD&D.  I had a very hard time finding hit roll tables/rules when I played my ad hoc Thanksgiving game with the family, though... (so I winged it).  If you're big on feats/kits/skills, you won't like it.  If you're an "old school" player, you'll probably enjoy the set.
mbassoc2003 wrote:So how much did the signed numbered copies sell for? Is it the same set? I imagine mine will be crushed to f*ck by the time it gets to me. :(

If it is indeed one of the 300 signed/numbered copies, it has considerable "spectaculative" value.  This hasn't been around long enough to make any real difference, yet.

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111