Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:17 am 

grodog wrote:I just snagged this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

I got it mostly for the coloring book; while it's not apparently even close to unused, it's too good a steal for $4 including shipping (plus I'll now have a spare of each of the other two books, too!).

Sometimes you get what you pay for:  the coloring book and Monster Ms. are are even more beat up than I thought they'd be, although Aesheba's in great shape, so I suppose I still came out ahead.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of finding a copy of Cloudland for $9 (also worn, but what the heck), and a shrink copy of the 1981 gold 1e character sheets for $6 (though the shrink's torn a little here and was also hole-punched to fit into a binder)..

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:50 am 

Grodog,
I just picked up a cloudland on ebay for $9.  I know nothing about it but I figured why not.  Hopefully it will be money well spent.  

BTW, if you want to unload those PC sheets give me a yell.  I use 'em for my current gaming group.  Thanks

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:55 pm 

Inverness came today. Not sure why it's listed as EX in the Acaeum. Except for minor spine breaks and a slight ding in the upper left corner, it is mint.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:37 pm 

Wow.  That's indeed a nice find... Okay, I change my mind... you're a bastard. :D

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:54 pm 

The seller e-mailed me saying he's been getting hammered with e-mails telling him he was a fool, etc. Seems to happen to every seller who gives me a good deal. Nice bunch of people here..........

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:49 pm 

Post a scan... it's better than the one Foul has up right now.

(IMHO)

Hey and speaking of fun finds, I was rummaging through one of my many, many boxes of mystery and found ANOTHER full Talisman Set (2nd Ed) it had Talisman, Expansion, City,Dungeon and Timescape in the main box... I forgot I had that!

(I have yet another set I keep for collecting playing and ANOTHER set of Mint stuff I'm auctioning off).

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:01 am 

Did 1st edition have any expansions? I have the 1st.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:04 am 

I can only think of three reasons to email a seller and call him a fool for selling an item below a perceived market value:

1. to try and get the seller to back out of the deal so that the email sender will have a shot at it.

2. to make the seller feel bad about himself.

3. to try and get the seller to back out of the deal so that the seller can make more money.

The third, while maybe noble of intention. still results in the seller pulling out of the ever-important, legally binding contract; and once again getting into the "know what you are selling" issue. The other two seem kind of petty if you ask me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:23 am 

Well, here is a quote of the response I got when I asked him if he had a Buy it Now price:

"Well, Noble Knight Games was offering $250.00 in trade for a copy a while back, but I don't like their "send it to us and then we'll pay you" policy and I wasn't looking for trade. I suppose I'd take $250.00 for it, but I will only close the auction early if I haven't received any bids on it. (I won't pull it out from under bidders in other words)."

Now, I am not able to throw thousands of dollars away on RPG items like Bernie. I practically ate Cheerios for a month after I bought Rob's Tamoachan, and he gave me a great deal on that as well, because he knew I wasn't going to resell it and make a profit. If anyone here wants to suggest that they would e-mail the seller back and say "Fuck no, $250 isn't enough, I'll give you $1,000 for it", please say so. I could use a good laugh.
And lest ye forget, #59 has already been registered at the Acaeum, so the seller was fully aware of the existence of the site and could easily have checked past auction prices.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:50 am 

If the seller doesn't want the extra $500 he'd have gained from selling it on eBay, he must be either a millionaire or a fool.

Nice deal, Frank.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:41 am 

Thank you, Ralf!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:26 am 

This is both a fun find and a story about what people put in box sets.  I went in a thrift store with my wife.  I always check out the board games.  Finding nothing, I was headed for the door when I saw a small box by GDW on a shelf with computer games - Striker, Traveller miniatures rules.  It was only 99 cents and the box was in good shape, so I was going to buy it if it was complete or nearly so.  Inside I found everything but the dice.  Plus, I found ship plans, a rule book and counters for Snapshot, another Traveller game.  Finally, I found a nearly perfect copy of Bio-One, a 1974 TSR pamphlet on hit locations for fired weapons.  D & D doesn't even appear on the product list.  And, it was 50% off day, so the whole thing cost 50 cents.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:08 pm 

I wish that I had snagged this copy of Seren Ironhand
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT
but I had decided that $25-ish was my max bid....

I did, however, get this Starstone last week:  I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

I'm hoping to find Seren and others at GenCon this year, in a "real cheap" bin somewhere :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:39 pm 

I wish that I had snagged this copy of Seren Ironhand
but I had decided that $25-ish was my max bid....

Grodog,

You only had to bid a little more to snag it!  I was surprised to see that I had won it since I placed the bid early.  Figured someone would snipe it for sure.  It was a little more than I had wanted to spend but it doesn't come up often either.  Wonder if anyone knows how many of these were produced?  Couldn't have been many of them since most people weren't even aware that it existed until recently.  Last one went for about $40.00 which is still seems like a pretty good deal.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:57 pm 

It would be great if someone could offer a capsule review of this item when there's time.
:D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:41 am 

dbartman wrote:Grodog,

You only had to bid a little more to snag it!  I was surprised to see that I had won it since I placed the bid early.  

I noticed that your bid was early in the day, too---I had seriously considered just adding another dollar or three, but like I said, my bid was all that I wanted to spend, especially without any info about the module's playability/quality.  I'm hoping to find a copy on the cheap at GenCon :D

You got a nice snag on the 10th Anniversary pack for Gangbusters, too,

dbartman:  

Had I not been in a meeting that went over-long at work, I would have fought more for that one ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:36 am 

Thanks - It's amazing that items still pop up that were previously unknown (at least to me).  That's what make collecting this stuff great!

If I see these again I'll be sure to let you know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:40 am 

dbartman wrote:If I see these again I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111