Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 111123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 am 

I managed to snap up some early Dragons for a good price -

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt ... 5223914135

23 early issues, including #1, 2 & 3 for $195 USD. Not quite in the same league as the auction Harami posted last week (300 Dragons for $300) but a good price nonetheless. I held off posting as a fun find until they arrived, as the description of the mags condition was somewhat vague - but I was happy when they turned up. All in one piece, staples still good, no hole punches, no tears or creases, just some wear on the spines, and wear & scuffing to a few covers.

Best part of the deal was the shipping - not often you find a decent lot out here in Australia. The seller was only 100 miles or so from me, so shipping was a very cheap $5.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I managed to snap up some early Dragons for a good price -

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt ... 5223914135

23 early issues, including #1, 2 & 3 for $195 USD. Not quite in the same league as the auction Harami posted last week (300 Dragons for $300) but a good price nonetheless. I held off posting as a fun find until they arrived, as the description of the mags condition was somewhat vague - but I was happy when they turned up. All in one piece, staples still good, no hole punches, no tears or creases, just some wear on the spines, and wear & scuffing to a few covers.

Best part of the deal was the shipping - not often you find a decent lot out here in Australia. The seller was only 100 miles or so from me, so shipping was a very cheap $5.

Regards

Mike

Nice win.  I had a $200 snipe on this.  I figured that US$200 would be OK for #1 alone if OK and the others would be a bonus.  But I then forgot to convert to AU$. :cry: Glad to see they went to a good home.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:59 pm 

mdr003 wrote:23 early issues, including #1, 2 & 3 for $195 USD. Not quite in the same league as the auction Harami posted last week (300 Dragons for $300) but a good price nonetheless. I held off posting as a fun find until they arrived, as the description of the mags condition was somewhat vague - but I was happy when they turned up. All in one piece, staples still good, no hole punches, no tears or creases, just some wear on the spines, and wear & scuffing to a few covers.

Even at $1 each for those in the 20s, that's a very good deal! :P

From past experience, I wouldn't have expected much in the way of condition from that "very well read" description.

Congrats, Mike. :) And certainly a lot cheaper than 15-20 years ago.

mdr003 wrote:The seller was only 100 miles or so from me, so shipping was a very cheap $5.

Neat. Would have been four times that much over here... :roll:

=

US$200 = AU$260, John. Wouldn't have been enough even if Mike's bid hadn't been any higher... Still a pain when ya do tricks like that, though.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:52 pm 

Sometimes it pays to obsessively hit refresh -- almost lost it to a sniper.

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... T&rd=1

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:07 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Sometimes it pays to obsessively hit refresh -- almost lost it to a sniper.

Was watching you on that lot and not going anywhere near, Deimos...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:46 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Sometimes it pays to obsessively hit refresh -- almost lost it to a sniper.

Was watching you on that lot and not going anywhere near, Deimos...

Awww...am I that predictable?  I knew you (and Brian) would be watching...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:46 am 

I have noticed some pictures of the original AD&D books on Ebay.

I was of the generation of high school gamers who bought these books as soon as they appeared

Anyway...

The pictures I see all have a yellow band at an angle across the upper left corner, which reads:  "Advanced D&D"

These books also have the wizard logo for TSR.

I distinctly recall that the first run of these books did not have that yellow band.  I also recall that the first run did not have the same shiny patina of these books and the green ink on the Players Handbook was a lighter shade.

My books are in platic bins, in storage, so I cannot look at them right now...but I think I may be right.

Anyone?     :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:45 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I have noticed some pictures of the original AD&D books on Ebay.

I was of the generation of high school gamers who bought these books as soon as they appeared

Anyway...

The pictures I see all have a yellow band at an angle across the upper left corner, which reads: "Advanced D&D"

These books also have the wizard logo for TSR.

I distinctly recall that the first run of these books did not have that yellow band. I also recall that the first run did not have the same shiny patina of these books and the green ink on the Players Handbook was a lighter shade.

My books are in platic bins, in storage, so I cannot look at them right now...but I think I may be right.

Anyone?   :?

The PHB and MM did not originally have the yellow band.  The DMG always did.  I'm not sure about the patina/green ink points you noted, but it's worth investigating further.  The Acaeum has the various printings documented quite well:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/DMG.html

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/Monster.html

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/PHB.html

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:00 pm 

Well here is one that I just won today.  Truthfully it isnt a huge deal, but I am still pretty stoked considering what these things have been going for the last 8 to 10 months:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Granted this is my 2nd one, but hey I need one to open and read the contents. 8O  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well here is one that I just won today. Truthfully it isnt a huge deal, but I am still pretty stoked considering what these things have been going for the last 8 to 10 months:

Granted this is my 2nd one, but hey I need one to open and read the contents. 8O :wink:

$62???  Figures.  I didn't even bother figuring it would end up much higher.  Man, the rich get richer....  :roll:  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:29 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well here is one that I just won today. Truthfully it isnt a huge deal, but I am still pretty stoked considering what these things have been going for the last 8 to 10 months:

Granted this is my 2nd one, but hey I need one to open and read the contents. 8O :wink:

Sorry Brian, I was rooting for the 2nd bidder (a somewhat confused collector, but a collector nonetheless).

However, if given a choice of outcomes between yourself and the 3rd, 4th or 5th bidders.... 8O :P

eBay.com Item Bid History

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

Sorry Brian, I was rooting for the 2nd bidder (a somewhat confused collector, but a collector nonetheless).

However, if given a choice of outcomes between yourself and the 3rd, 4th or 5th bidders.... 8O :P

Man, that is true.  A veritable Rogue's Gallery...speaking of which, I saw one somewhere on ebay with a starting bid of $14.99...good luck.... :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:38 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

You know what the funniest part of it is, look at the sellers feedback. In his almost 3 years on Ebay he has received exactly 2 neutrals and 2 negatives. Who is the bad feedback from the 2 neutrals are just recently from our old friend jonb7839 & the 2 negatives he received are from none other than the_game_emporium. :roll: Sadly the guy I did beat out has bought stuff from me before and IIRC he is a good guy, but I seriously wanted to have a set to read through the L3 and the History of TSR.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:42 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

You know what the funniest part of it is, look at the sellers feedback. In his almost 3 years on Ebay he has received exactly 2 neutrals and 2 negatives. Who is the bad feedback from the 2 neutrals are just recently from our old friend jonb7839 & the 2 negatives he received are from none other than the_game_emporium. :roll: Sadly the guy I did beat out has bought stuff from me before and IIRC he is a good guy, but I seriously wanted to have a set to read theough the L3 and the History of TSR.

I like the guy already.  :D

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:...but I seriously wanted to have a set to read theough the L3 and the History of TSR.

Still a pain to have to de-shrink a copy for that. (Thinking in "investor" terms, of course...).

I was happy enough to wait for a set with the shrink already very carefully slit open. ~$50-60 would normally have been fairly good for that, IMHO.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:00 pm 

bclarkie wrote:... but I seriously wanted to have a set to read through the L3 and the History of TSR.

Maybe you'll like it better than I did, Brian, but L3 seemed pretty blah to me. Perhaps there was a very good reason it wasn't originally published in the '80s ... ? (I'm in the camp, BTW, that believes the "found it behind a desk" story is more than slightly embellished).

I rather enjoyed the History of TSR booklet, though. I read it straight through in one sitting and thought it was time well-spent.

A good find, either way. The anniversary sets are fun items.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:05 pm 

...oh, and the L3 I listed at the same time is already at $56 (still 3 3/4 days to go). Image

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:16 pm 

harami2000 wrote:...oh, and the L3 I listed at the same time is already at $56 (still 3 3/4 days to go). [ Image ]

i have four of them silver anniv boxes now :)

i read L3 to see what all the fuss was about. in consideration, i would give it maybe 4/5 out of 10. it aint that great and just felt so-so to me. but it seems to be a collectable item so its useful for one thing....

and david, don't f-in dare stick that link up again :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 111123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 109110111