Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 38 of 111123 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:27 am 

deimos3428 wrote:All the focus lately has been on OCEs, but this is far more rare/valuable, in my opinion. Shame about the box condition though.

Much more rare indeed. As observed, a definite "4", not a "3", IMO.

Achizar wrote:I was surprised to get this one at this price:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5221018062

I've been reluctant to call this a fun find because it seemed less than a find, per se, but for the price I think I got a damn good deal.

Indeed! Congrats. :D

Was talking about this set during the auction, wondering whether the early Chainmail and 1st Swords & Spells alone would pull in the bids, even if people were going to ignore the "rest".
$125 would still have been a good price, IMHO. (If I say much beyond that I'll start to feel sorry for the seller...).

Achizar wrote:The box is in rough shape-- stained, crushed and the top is missing a flap, but it's my first white box so I don't mind as much.

Didn't dare ask the seller about the books, but I think it's probably a "later" 4th print. If so, you can just slip the books into a 5th print box (most people would probably still ignore the finer/earlier 4th print boxes, anyhow, since they're not listed here "officially").

Have a look inside the back of Men & Magic and there should be a sticker over the old "Tactical Studies Rules" mailing addy.

Achizar wrote:why did this one slip through?

Condition perfectionists insisting on VF/NM 4th prints or general unawareness of the rarity, despite attempts to clarify that? Don't know...

Summer holidays didn't help, no doubt.

Achizar wrote:Do you all just have better copies at this point/didn't think the quality was good enough for resale, or has the recent glut of boxes caused you all to look past what strikes me as a good deal?

*g*. Better start by asking how many people have a 4th print, at all?

*looks around*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:30 am 

Achizar wrote:but would provide some insurance in case I got priced out of the mintier 4/5's that were coming up.

Erm, where were all those?

D'you mean http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5226449454 , et al?

Nice, but hardly "minty".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:36 am 

harami2000 wrote:Indeed! Congrats. :D

Thanks!  :)

harami2000 wrote:$125 would still have been a good price, IMHO. (If I say much beyond that I'll start to feel sorry for the seller...).

As the current owner of the set, I'm biased, it's true, but I could easily talk myself into thinking toward (if not upward of) $200 based on Acaeum's listed values.   :oops:  for the seller indeed who, incidentally, was excellent to deal with and I hope to buy from them again in the future (they forgot to add the minis to the original shipment; when I mentioned this they sent out a separate shipment just of the minis-- I would not have been offended if they had said, "Look, you already took us to the cleaners, and now you want us to send you the cheap toss-in?").

harami2000 wrote:Have a look inside the back of Men & Magic and there should be a sticker over the old "Tactical Studies Rules" mailing addy.

Interesting!  I don't recall such a sticker, but I'll have to check again tonight.

Thanks for the info!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 am 

harami2000 wrote:
Achizar wrote:but would provide some insurance in case I got priced out of the mintier 4/5's that were coming up.

Erm, where were all those?

D'you mean http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5226449454 , et al?

Nice, but hardly "minty".

Ok, ok, I used the term in the relative sense only!  Believe me, compared to the box I got, the whole world looks mintier.

Well, it's not that bad, but enough to spawn hyperbole.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:35 pm 

Achizar wrote:I was surprised to get this one at this price:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5221018062

Toss in 2 sets of (new, alas) dice and 5 or 6 (new, alas) minis, and the price is surprisingly low for the lot-- why did this one slip through?

Oh, it didn't slip---I would definitely have bid you up higher had I been online a the time to do so, Achizar :D  Nice win :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:02 pm 

Achizar wrote:As the current owner of the set, I'm biased, it's true, but I could easily talk myself into thinking toward (if not upward of) $200 based on Acaeum's listed values.  :oops: for the seller indeed

*is saying nothing*

Achizar wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Have a look inside the back of Men & Magic and there should be a sticker over the old "Tactical Studies Rules" mailing addy.

Interesting! I don't recall such a sticker, but I'll have to check again tonight.
Thanks for the info!

Hmm... I'd initally though the red on the front of the box was a bit pale, but then changed my mind as it was difficult to tell for sure given the dirt... :oops:
The "Dungeons & Dragons" title should also be very clear/unsmudged if it was an earlier copy (current understanding from a limited number of 4th print sets).

No-one else has confirmed another copy with an apparently "earlier" box that is also missing the sticker. (Might actually be as rare as the "4th-" claimed to be).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:07 pm 

Hey, ho! OCEs are really on a roller-coaster.

$56; Boxed set with undepicted (stated fine) box (not 1976, however!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5225886181
"HE NEVER USED THIS SET OF BOOKS.  HE IS NOW SELLING IT BECAUSE HE HAS TOO MUCH STUFF AND I ONLY ALLOW HIM A SMALL AREA IN WHICH TO STORE HIS STUFF!" (hrrrr.... :oops:)

10 hours later...

$52; Just the books (albeit nice copies and I know the seller).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5226054627

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:24 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Hey, ho! OCEs are really on a roller-coaster.

$56; Boxed set with undepicted (stated fine) box (not 1976, however!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5225886181
"HE NEVER USED THIS SET OF BOOKS. HE IS NOW SELLING IT BECAUSE HE HAS TOO MUCH STUFF AND I ONLY ALLOW HIM A SMALL AREA IN WHICH TO STORE HIS STUFF!" (hrrrr.... :oops:)

10 hours later...

$52; Just the books (albeit nice copies and I know the seller).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5226054627

It certainly has been interesting.  I believe the first seller made a huge mistake not providing a picture of the box, certainly the market is ripe for the plucking lately.  

I'm surprised that people are willing to pay so much for just the books, however.  I pondered another bid in the 30-35 range, but it was just getting out of control.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:52 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:It certainly has been interesting. I believe the first seller made a huge mistake not providing a picture of the box, certainly the market is ripe for the plucking lately.

Yup, no piccie (and silly date) probably lost them $30-40. :(

Market is looking pretty reasonable just now, IMO.
And I'm finally getting into the swing of things to know which copies to bid for as "interesting" ones to check without having to ask a whole page of questions.

deimos3428 wrote:I'm surprised that people are willing to pay so much for just the books, however. I pondered another bid in the 30-35 range, but it was just getting out of control.

Snap. Had ~$32.50 on the system, just in case.

===

IIRC you had that stated-1st Eldritch flagged on the "Interesting Items" thread?
No other bidders: nice sound VG-F copy at $50.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5220844169

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:55 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Achizar wrote:Interesting! I don't recall such a sticker, but I'll have to check again tonight.
Thanks for the info!

Hmm... I'd initally though the red on the front of the box was a bit pale, but then changed my mind as it was difficult to tell for sure given the dirt... :oops:
The "Dungeons & Dragons" title should also be very clear/unsmudged if it was an earlier copy (current understanding from a limited number of 4th print sets).

No-one else has confirmed another copy with an apparently "earlier" box that is also missing the sticker. (Might actually be as rare as the "4th-" claimed to be).

Ok, now I've checked and I do indeed have the sticker on the last page of M&M.  It would seem that the set meets the Acaeum criteria for a 4-.  Anything else I should look for?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:33 am 

Sorry to lower the tone but I just bought a set comprising a PHB, DMG, MM and D&DG. They are 8th, 8th, 5th and 3rd printings respectively or just outside the interesting zone. I'd identified all of them to within a print run before buying them, so I wasn't disappointed. Far from it.

They are all in near mint condition. The only mark on any of the books is a small dent on along the top of the MM's front cover. They look great on the shelf (yes, just the one), especially to someone who hasn't seen a first edition Monster Manual in the flesh for nearly twenty years.

They'll keep me happy, for now. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:54 am 

Tmesis wrote:They are all in near mint condition. The only mark on any of the books is a small dent on along the top of the MM's front cover. They look great on the shelf (yes, just the one), especially to someone who hasn't seen a first edition Monster Manual in the flesh for nearly twenty years.

i couldnt agree more :) a person who should be happy with HIS/HER collection, no matter what the contents.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:18 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Tmesis wrote:They are all in near mint condition. The only mark on any of the books is a small dent on along the top of the MM's front cover. They look great on the shelf (yes, just the one), especially to someone who hasn't seen a first edition Monster Manual in the flesh for nearly twenty years.

i couldnt agree more :) a person who should be happy with HIS/HER collection, no matter what the contents.

Al

Adds in an "Amen, bro'", there :D

=
(Actually; am pretty sure I don't have copies of any of the hb printings in that sort of condition.
They've done well to stay in that kinda minty condition (still smell newly printed, too? ;)) and a nice display, no doubt! 8))

Is definitely not lowering the tone, that. :)

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:19 am 

harami2000 wrote:still smell newly printed, too?

LOL. Actually, yes! I noticed that when sneaking a browse of the MM this morning.

I should have said, this lot came in at about £16 plus postage, which seemed like the right price, to me. They only took two days to get here, too (a UK auction).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:10 am 

This one arrived today  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:32 am 

chromaticknight wrote:This one arrived today :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Ohhhhhhhh.... you...... snrk... holy Pazuzu!

Daaaaaaamn nice find. Is that Jade Hare with or without the cover?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:54 am 

jamesmishler wrote:Daaaaaaamn nice find. Is that Jade Hare with or without the cover?

Cover was never issued and looks like a "general public" auction => 99,9%+ certain w/out cover.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 pm 

No, no cover.   :(
Still happy though.  :D
I now have an extra if anyone has some trade bait I need.
PM if interested.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 38 of 111123 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 109110111