Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:03 am 

Interesting... Did any of the attendees here get this one? Certainly don't recall it being mentioned, although some of the other items were.

Gen Con Indy 2004 Auction Recap ( 404 - File or directory not found. )
.... #23 $ 275.00 Palace Vampire Queen, near mint but no outer folder .....

(c/w previous:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Auction Recap ( 404 - File or directory not found. )
.... #4 $500.00 Palace of the Vampire Queen, 1st Printing .....

===
p.s. should've double-checked Burnie's post first. Oops! ;)
Gen Con Anyone??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:08 pm 

I know this references something from a week ago, but why would anyone ever buy one of those five pound giants and consider using it in a game? I am not talking about buying it now years later as a collector's item...but back in the day when it first came out. A friend of mine had something similar and it probably weighed in the three-pound range. We refused to allow him to use it because we usually played on an unsteady, foldup, aluminum table. If the table tipped we may end up with a crushed foot from that three pound miniature falling on it.

Also, if you have a five-pound giant miniature can you really call it a miniature? Would "giant miniature" still be considered an oxymoron...seeing that it probably is not a miniature in the first place? And, is a giant miniature giant not only confusing but potentially redundant? See, these are the questions people need to be asking.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:18 pm 

I'm not thoroughly convinced that they were meant to be played with.  The picture on the auction seemed to show a very showy base, though I could be mistaken.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:05 pm 

Just arrived this morning.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWN:IT

I figured it was an early print in good to fair condition.
Instead. It IS a first print. :D  
BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....)  8O :D
Sure it is not mint, but still a nice surprise came in the mail today....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:12 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Just arrived this morning.

BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....) 8O :D

Yeehaw! Congrats, Aneoth. Enjoy your great find!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm 

Not amazing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5957450509

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st.  And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:14 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Not amazing

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st. And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

hey john i was gonna bid on that and then my boss called me into a meeting feckin 10 mins before it ended ..... grrr tsk ***insert curse***

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:31 pm 

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st. And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

I didn't bid on that althoough I was watching iy, I actually was waiting to snipe it for the right price, but then because of the shipping cost to the USA, I stayed out as it would cost too much in total.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:20 pm 

Aneoth, the first printing of GDH was in '76. When he put that in the auction, I'm surprised no one else bid.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:24 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Just arrived this morning.

BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....) 8O :D

Can I play this game too... :D

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5951296299

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:37 pm 

i believe  the pvq had the yellow top sheet. it was an amazing auction. frank mentzer did a great job of pulling in rarities for the 30th anniversary.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:59 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Aneoth, the first printing of GDH was in '76. When he put that in the auction, I'm surprised no one else bid.

Yes, me too, but I did not catch it until the last day myself. And I do not know any of the bidders before me.

1976? Right, but my third print (And the 6th and the 7th) lists the same copyright date of 1976. Often less knowledgeable sellers look at the date, put it in the auction and later, when it arrives, you may learn that the seller had no clue and you got a third print, thinking it would be a First....

Unless you ask the right questions, and actually get your answers, you never know for certain until it arrives in the mail.

I had bid on this one blind...and near the end (one day left). The Seller did not have time to return my question, but my first bid was never challenged, so it did not much matter.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:24 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Aneoth, the first printing of GDH was in '76. When he put that in the auction, I'm surprised no one else bid.

Condition didn't tempt me enough. Would still have expected about double that final price though.
Pretty good deal, Aneoth; and yes, asking questions can certainly pay dividends. :)

Now that I like... :D  Missed those totally, John! :roll: Congrats...

=

Managed to get to the postman this morning before he got impatient and was tempted to bend my "fun find" through my letterbox despite the "please don't try" stickers I've had to put on it, after two trashed packages in a row.

Just as well...

(I need a digital camera... Total nightmare trying to scan and kept coming out with a greenish cast).

Condition is somewhat better than it appears on this untrimmed scan.
Tightly bound, no spine creases (just that tiny mark caused the upper staple); crisp, white pages; folded tables in perfect nick and zero staple rust (different staples from the ones used later by TSR, I think!). Pretty much unused, I suspect.
That tiny stain at the bottom right also shows on the first page, though. Slightly grubby esp. near the spine, with a bit of rubbing near the base of the front cover and a few small stains to the back cover. That's about it...

(Can't ignore the name on the front, but if anyone here tries telling me that reduces the condition to "Good" by default... :twisted:
Might follow John's observation and alter the surname to "Sniper" to see whether that increases the appeal value! 8O).

... Could launch into an attempt to re-write the rather misleading history section of Page Not Found at this point, but is probably not worth my bother.
Object not found! is more accurate, I suspect, although "Don't Give Up The Ship" was apparently not published until June 1972 according to Guidon's miniature rules editor; and a combination of that history, plus intro to Arneson in said booklet, plus his own retrospective comments elsewhere would yield a somewhat better chronology, IMHO.
The Arneson interview on GameSpy: Dave Arneson Interview - Page 1 also quotes 1971, not 1972; strange...
(Heh; "Braunsteins", Arneson and "naval combat" on The Acaeum page is enough to confuse anyone, however...). :)

===
p.s. Anyone got the remotest idea as to the print run? (or for comparable publications?).
And was Chainmail actually the first item Guidon produced, or just the first booklet/booklet set?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:27 am 

Howdy David,

harami2000 wrote:... Could launch into an attempt to re-write the rather misleading history section of Page Not Found at this point, but is probably not worth my bother.

Why not? I think that would be a great contirbution to the Acaeum. You are obviously a painstakingly detailed person, I'd think you'd add the collector's community immeasurably.

BTW all of those articles you list have errors in them, it is just a matter of who you want to pick on.

I think one important factor in all of these articles is that Gygax was the man to get it done. Whatever, the individual nuts and bolts of the creation process there can be no doubt whom was the most prolific, creative, motivated, charismatic, connected, reputable, and dedicated part of the creation process. Dave sent 18 pages of jumbled notes and Gary took some ideas from that but added to the already published Chainmail material and created the D&D game (110 pages). Dave Arneson didn't write one word of it.

Ask Tim Kask what the chances were of Dave creating a manuscript to be published as D&D. I'll tell you, nil!

There is a pattern with Arneson where he uses existing games, piecemeal, to create his campaign. He uses naval rule for hit points, troop experience from Napoleonics, and Chainmail for the employment of fantastic combat, levels, spells, magic items, etcetera.

Remember the chicken and the EGG, the EGG comes first! If you lay the EGG, it's your chicken! EGG is the creator of D&D! :P

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:56 pm 

I let this one slip through the net

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5956744788

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:44 am 

johnhuck wrote:I let this one slip through the net
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5956744788

*waves to Ian* ;)

(But then, did anyone double-check the printing?).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:18 pm 

Another one to kick yet more stuffing out of the current grading/pricing methodology.

Totally unadvertised, laminated, detached spine, name inside, etc.; still three snipes at $40+ with a few more "hidden", I suspect...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5957651038

(Should be able to pick up a similar condition woodgrain set at not much more than that price according to the chart).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:40 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Another one to kick yet more stuffing out of the current grading/pricing methodology.

Totally unadvertised, laminated, detached spine, name inside, etc.; still three snipes at $40+ with a few more "hidden", I suspect...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5957651038

(Should be able to pick up a similar condition woodgrain set at not much more than that price according to the chart).

I can't believe I missed that one. I've been looking for one of those for ages. :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111