Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:11 pm 

Congrats, Ralf! That is pretty awesome. Best of the year so far, I'd say.
I don't post my finds anymore. Get too much flak.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:31 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Well, usually I never post my auctions on this forum. But this one deserved to be posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEAFB:IT

It's a first printing (orange flyleaves) and the condition as indicated on the photo. :D

Great find Ralf, but I want to play the "1st print Players Handbook Fun Find" game too. . .

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWN:IT

Of course, I had it up for auction the day it arrived. . . but, it is reassuring to know that you can still stumble across some deals on eBay.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:57 pm 

ARRRGH!!  I want a 1st print for nothing as well!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:12 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
Great find Ralf, but I want to play the "1st print Players Handbook Fun Find" game too. . .

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWN:IT

Of course, I had it up for auction the day it arrived. . . but, it is reassuring to know that you can still stumble across some deals on eBay.

IIRC, I think I looked at that auction, but I must have been mezmorized by the 2nd edition FR Set, because I never even noticed the PHB :oops: .

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:38 pm 

waiting for the "interesting items" thread to cool down...

Re. PoTVQ;
bclarkie wrote:I am surprised no one has pointed this one out yet. Judging by the bidding history, it doesn't look like it is a big secret to the board:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWA:IT

Looks to be a fairly nice second print copy, just some small bends in the cover folder.

I'm another of those who doesn't really go for that "second print" classification...

Aside from the comment here that the "only reference to PotVQ in TSR literature (that we've found, at least) mentions the black folder", the picture's the same in the UK via the official TSR distributors.
Unfortunately, I don't have the relevant copy of O&W, but NFB #21 has a review of PoTVQ, black folder, confusing 2- vs 4- way alignment differences and all...

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hice buy harami2000 :D Better price than mine. :evil:

Hey, Ian. D'you know the entire D&D market would collapse were it not for <aneoth>'s high bidding early on in auctions?!

$879 vs. $729?

Yeah, but look at that bidding list on Burnie's
eBay.com Item Bid History
Ouchie...

For reasons above, however, I would value the so-called "second print" at a premium and I suspect Mike <invincible> would agree with me.
(Even though this goes against the current collecting "ethos", as reflected here).
There's a nagging doubt that the present "first print" might've been surplus copies/when the folders ran out, or else perhaps those sold locally (which would half-"delist" them in my mind, since the cut-off is items officially distributed via TSR- regardless of the copyright page. *g*).
The copies with single-sided pages confuse matters further, of course!

S'pose I should also say thanks to whoever on the valuation board decided to reduce the value of the 1st/2nd print PoTVQ by $100 for the recent Acaeum revision.
All I needed to do was bid the old price to win. (Apologies again to dathon for edging him by a mere 37 cents).

=

aside: Mike's copy is listed as "NM: $610 (10/04)".
Regardless of other flaws, there is no way a copy with a tri-folded page (possibly a replacement?) is anywhere near NM given the current grading scale.
Such an overgrading distorts the estimated valuations, IMHO, albeit by a relatively small amount in this case.

David.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:46 am 

Re; PoVQ 1st and 2nd print runs. I have an impression that they were both the same print run. Tho only difference I can see is the copyright page bonded to the inside of the folder.

In 76/77 I imagine printing on black grained card with blood red text with the degree of opacity needed to achieve the effect on the folder was a long drawn out process. It would have been more of a production than a simple print.

If TSR ran off their PoVQ prints and needed or wanted to distribute, they may have had no choice but to begin distribution without the folders. An alternative may be that staff, designer, preview copies went out sans folder.

The rarity in the item seems to be in reading the unknown. Like ST1, the PDF is hard to chase down. For the completist, I would suggest the black folder copy is a more desirable purchase.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:03 am 

Interesting... Did any of the attendees here get this one? Certainly don't recall it being mentioned, although some of the other items were.

Gen Con Indy 2004 Auction Recap ( 404 - File or directory not found. )
.... #23 $ 275.00 Palace Vampire Queen, near mint but no outer folder .....

(c/w previous:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Auction Recap ( 404 - File or directory not found. )
.... #4 $500.00 Palace of the Vampire Queen, 1st Printing .....

===
p.s. should've double-checked Burnie's post first. Oops! ;)
Gen Con Anyone??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:08 pm 

I know this references something from a week ago, but why would anyone ever buy one of those five pound giants and consider using it in a game? I am not talking about buying it now years later as a collector's item...but back in the day when it first came out. A friend of mine had something similar and it probably weighed in the three-pound range. We refused to allow him to use it because we usually played on an unsteady, foldup, aluminum table. If the table tipped we may end up with a crushed foot from that three pound miniature falling on it.

Also, if you have a five-pound giant miniature can you really call it a miniature? Would "giant miniature" still be considered an oxymoron...seeing that it probably is not a miniature in the first place? And, is a giant miniature giant not only confusing but potentially redundant? See, these are the questions people need to be asking.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:18 pm 

I'm not thoroughly convinced that they were meant to be played with.  The picture on the auction seemed to show a very showy base, though I could be mistaken.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:05 pm 

Just arrived this morning.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWN:IT

I figured it was an early print in good to fair condition.
Instead. It IS a first print. :D  
BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....)  8O :D
Sure it is not mint, but still a nice surprise came in the mail today....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:12 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Just arrived this morning.

BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....) 8O :D

Yeehaw! Congrats, Aneoth. Enjoy your great find!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm 

Not amazing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5957450509

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st.  And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:14 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Not amazing

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st. And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

hey john i was gonna bid on that and then my boss called me into a meeting feckin 10 mins before it ended ..... grrr tsk ***insert curse***

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:31 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Not amazing

But I'm pretty chuffed with my M&T1 2nd, M&T2 2nd, M&T3 1st. And all in very nice condition thanks to being stored and shipped in a (rare for the UK) 3-ring binder.

I didn't bid on that althoough I was watching iy, I actually was waiting to snipe it for the right price, but then because of the shipping cost to the USA, I stayed out as it would cost too much in total.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:20 pm 

Aneoth, the first printing of GDH was in '76. When he put that in the auction, I'm surprised no one else bid.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:24 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Just arrived this morning.

BUT, I only paid a total of $20.03 (Counting shipping....) 8O :D

Can I play this game too... :D

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5951296299

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:37 pm 

i believe  the pvq had the yellow top sheet. it was an amazing auction. frank mentzer did a great job of pulling in rarities for the 30th anniversary.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:59 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Aneoth, the first printing of GDH was in '76. When he put that in the auction, I'm surprised no one else bid.

Yes, me too, but I did not catch it until the last day myself. And I do not know any of the bidders before me.

1976? Right, but my third print (And the 6th and the 7th) lists the same copyright date of 1976. Often less knowledgeable sellers look at the date, put it in the auction and later, when it arrives, you may learn that the seller had no clue and you got a third print, thinking it would be a First....

Unless you ask the right questions, and actually get your answers, you never know for certain until it arrives in the mail.

I had bid on this one blind...and near the end (one day left). The Seller did not have time to return my question, but my first bid was never challenged, so it did not much matter.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111